Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:53 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You don't live here and other than being on Drexel's campus as a student, you have not yet lived in any specific city neighborhood. Correct?

Also wanted to add, I am from the area, pretty much born and raised in Media/Upper Providence, so while you might not care because its not the city, its not like I moved here for a few years for school then packed up and left. I am just as connected to the Philadelphia region as you, I am just younger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I think it’s time for some posters to back off from charging others of being insufficiently American or “Philadelphian” to share their opinions on this thread. If I need to be more explicit, I will.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I think it’s time for some posters to back off from charging others of being insufficiently American or “Philadelphian” to share their opinions on this thread. If I need to be more explicit, I will.
So your take is we shouldn't ever have disagreements about stuff like this? Seriously? Sounds like you want to silence people.
If we break board/thread rules Too Busy will say so.

Go ahead. Be explicit.

This boards does not seem to have the quantity of "local" debates I see on other cd city boards.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
I think he is saying everyone's opinion is valuable. Regardless of whether they were born and raised in Philly, or they relocated here. One's origins should not be used against them.

I would go further and add that city residents don't have a monopoly over the city. Philly belongs just as much to those who choose to live in the suburb. The success of the city is also of importance to suburbians.

Quote:
So your take is we shouldn't ever have disagreements about stuff like this? Seriously? Sounds like you want to silence people.

Go ahead. Be explicit.

This boards does not seem to have the quantity of "local" debates I see on other cd city boards.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:10 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I think there should be events in the several cities that played a role in the birth of the nation, with the 3 major cities being DC, Philly and Boston. DC has the most venues that can host visitors. I don't see any venue in Philly or Boston that can compete against the National mall.

The area that is today called the District of Columbia didn't exist until 1790 and the federal government wasn't actually moved there until 1800. So while it goes way back, it did not figure at all into our independence from Britain or, as you say it, the birth of the nation.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:45 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:

Go ahead. Be explicit.
No, you want to silence people:
Quote:
Are you an American citizen? If you aren't then butt out.
Quote:
You don't live here and other than being on Drexel's campus as a student, you have not yet lived in any specific city neighborhood. Correct?
It's OK to question people's opinions but not their right to post here. This is not a forum where one's birthright as a Philadelphian bestows greater weight to their opinions, let alone the right to tell others to "butt out." Discounting the knowledge of and commitment to the city by others, just because they moved here by choice (whether from the suburbs, another state or another country) epitomizes the stereotype of an insular and provincial Philadelphian.

Give it a rest, please. Otherwise, you are right, it's time for our Mod to weigh in.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:00 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:

Go ahead. Be explicit.

No I don't think Pine is trying to silence anyone but the tone is really getting "nasty" for such a non serious topic.

I routinely check out and post on the Savannah Ga board. I love the city and hope to retire there so I hang out there some times to garner information.

Telling some one to "butt" out because they are or are not from a region is rude and unnecessary. I didn't think anyone had a "monopoly" on being from Philly.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:19 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Agree with Eliza. I lurk on and sometimes (but rarely) post on the New Hampshire board because I am a fan of the Free State Project and the state motto of Live Free or Die. No one from there has ever told me that I'm not allowed to post.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
Some people take the internet too seriously. Personally, I don't get offended by anonymous people on the web because they don't know ME and I don't know THEM. I mean, who cares what strangers think on the internet.

I don't even understand why there is a report button. One has to be really petty to get ticked off on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
No I don't think Pine is trying to silence anyone but the tone is really getting "nasty" for such a non serious topic.

I routinely check out and post on the Savannah Ga board. I love the city and hope to retire there so I hang out there some times to garner information.

Telling some one to "butt" out because they are or are not from a region is rude and unnecessary. I didn't think anyone had a "monopoly" on being from Philly.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:31 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I don’t even understand where the “controversy” is in this story or where you guys disagree and I don’t feel like reading through the other comments so...

From my 10,000ft view, Philadelphians should be happy that the government picked people from our area to run the whole thing.

Philadelphia Should Host The Sports World Again For America

I posted this a while back in a different thread. The city has put in bids for most of the major sports events for 2026.

The 2026 World Cup bid is going to be decided in the next week or so. It’s down to the US and Morocco. If picked, Philadelphia will be one of the host cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia