Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,145 times

Advertisements

What suburbs within a 20 minute drive of center city would you recommend for a single early thirties jewish professional? Will be working in the city. Its important to have access to parking, moderate rental prices in a non crazy party bar area but one which offers access to trendy entertainment and lounges, safety first tho! Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 11:34 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
May I ask where you are moving from?

Just to gauge expectations.

I would look at Manayunk. Urban Experience, Small Town Charm - MNYK - Manayunk

Bala Cynwyd/City Ave.

Manayunk is in the city, but about 15/20 minutes out from Center City. A really young, hip area. Lots of restaurants and has a nice vibe.

Bala Cynwyd/City Ave. - Across the Schuylkill from Manayunk. Bala is in Lower Merion Twp. (very affluent and well to do area) and City Ave. is Philadelphia. Lots of apartment options. Alot of young people live here, who commute to the suburbs for work, but want accessibility of all the awesomeness that is Center City and surrounding Philadelphia.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,145 times
Thanks for the info! My expectations aren't based off of where I am now- I will do some research on those areas- thanks so much for the guidance!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM

744 posts, read 775,226 times
IMO the better neighborhoods for singles will be in the City. If you insist on being outside the City I would suggest Conshohocken, City Avenue, Media, Ambler, Ardmore and Bryn Mawr. However, I doubt any of these will get you into the City within a 20 minute drive during rush hour. I would also recommend against driving into Center City. Take the train unless your employer is providing parking and you will be commuting during off hours.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
For a single, younger person the burbs may be really, really boring. However, if you must, Montgomery County has a pretty large Jewish Community.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyhip View Post
What suburbs within a 20 minute drive of center city would you recommend for a single early thirties jewish professional? Will be working in the city. Its important to have access to parking, moderate rental prices in a non crazy party bar area but one which offers access to trendy entertainment and lounges, safety first tho! Thanks in advanced!
If you're on the Orthodox spectrum and seeking a religiously Jewish community, Lower Merion Township toward city Avenue (Bala-Cynwyd, Merion Station, and Wynnewood) are the place to be.

If you you're secular, Reform, or Conservative and want a place where Jews happen to live and are accepted, the sky's the limit. I'd recommend Manayunk, but it has an active nightlife scene. Check it out on a Friday or Saturday night and see for yourself. Depending on where you draw the line on non-crazy party bar areas, it may suit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia