Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:35 AM

34,107 posts, read 18,354,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I'll give my view. Every city in the US is ignored by the media except for three:

> NYC, the financial and media capital
> DC, the political capital, and
> LA, the entertainment and popular culture capital

^^^^^^This. I am SO tired of both NYC, and L.A. In fact I watch few news, movies, and tv shows today partially due to this bias. Philly is the cradle of Liberty yet there is a lack of understanding of its significance, and ignorance by many people today of its history. People just don't seem to care anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 07:00 AM

1,680 posts, read 945,375 times
I feel like it's changing - slowly, but it's changing.

I've lived in a ton of places (NYC, Santa Fe, Denver, Burlington, DC Cleveland). Philly is by far, our most favorite town. It has everything we've ever loved in any of those other towns (history, amenities, charm, entertainment/food, location etc). It has real people in it. Sure it has some areas that don't fit on a postcard but for some reason, those areas are given disproportionate attention relative to other cities. You ever been to the Bronx? Ever driven past NY on 95 through Elizabeth? Ever seen the homeless in New York? It's the same or worse than here.

It's perception and they are hard to change. The 70s - 90s weren't kind to Philly and the perception has suffered. But there hasn't been a time when we've had friends come down from NY or elsewhere when they didn't seriously consider Philly as a possibility. It's just so affordable - especially vs the insultingly expensive joke NYC has become. You get all the great things that you can there in Philly. I dunno. I'm a cheerleader, what can I say.

I feel like, a lot of the time, lifers here don't appreciate what they have here. It's sort of indifference yet a lot of those indifferents wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^^This. I am SO tired of both NYC, and L.A. In fact I watch few news, movies, and tv shows today partially due to this bias. Philly is the cradle of Liberty yet there is a lack of understanding of its significance, and ignorance by many people today of its history. People just don't seem to care anymore.
Well, LOADS of tourists come here every year for it....not just Americans....I ran into a family from Italy and bunches of Asians. But what chaps me( it really makes me boil with rage) is how local coverage gets ignored, nationally, even by the frigging media company that is based here.

Btw, the Wawa hoagie fest thing was very well done this year.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:25 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I feel like it's changing - slowly, but it's changing.

I've lived in a ton of places (NYC, Santa Fe, Denver, Burlington, DC Cleveland). Philly is by far, our most favorite town. It has everything we've ever loved in any of those other towns (history, amenities, charm, entertainment/food, location etc). It has real people in it. Sure it has some areas that don't fit on a postcard but for some reason, those areas are given disproportionate attention relative to other cities. You ever been to the Bronx? Ever driven past NY on 95 through Elizabeth? Ever seen the homeless in New York? It's the same or worse than here.

It's perception and they are hard to change. The 70s - 90s weren't kind to Philly and the perception has suffered. But there hasn't been a time when we've had friends come down from NY or elsewhere when they didn't seriously consider Philly as a possibility. It's just so affordable - especially vs the insultingly expensive joke NYC has become. You get all the great things that you can there in Philly. I dunno. I'm a cheerleader, what can I say.

I feel like, a lot of the time, lifers here don't appreciate what they have here. It's sort of indifference yet a lot of those indifferents wouldn't live anywhere else.
I take umbrage with part of your last statement, of course. Why? Because those of us who have been here all along know this upswing can disappear. Nothing is permanent. Well, you know that, of course. Additionally newer residents to the area are reaping the benefits of what others did before you showed up. This renaissance has a long arch going back quite some time.

Personally, I am happy and grateful you are here. But the gratitude seems to be missing for folks who've always been here.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:34 AM

9,334 posts, read 9,197,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
We took them to almost all the places you mentions. Skipped Manayunk and East Falls because I really think they are average neigborhoods. And not one single person I know enjoys visiting Fishtown. That is such an overrated neighborhood in my opinion.

I didn't purposely take them to a neighborhood with boarded up windows, we were actually on our way to East Passyunk. Don't get me wrong, there are some great bars and restaurants in East Passyunk but you go a few blocks either way and you're back surrounded by run down row homes and trash covered streets.

I'm not trying to bash Philly, I do enjoy living here. I just don't think its a great city like some people make it out to be.
As if New York, DC, LA, Chicago, etc. don't have bad neighborhoods?? Some of the scariest and most run-down neighborhoods I have seen were not in Philadelphia. Do I have lesser opinions of those cities? No, because every city has them. What makes Philadelphia different is that some less desirable/ attractive neighborhoods are closer to Center City, and sometimes you have to go through a bad neighborhood to get to a good one. That is just the nature of the city, and how the development has spread.

But, overall that was a very ignorant statement. And regardless of your opinions is it a great, what are you reasons to state otherwise? Because you don't like seeing boarded up houses?

And you are the first person I have met who does not like Fishtown. I have snobby New York friends who love Fishtown. They love the character, the diversity, the eclectic shops and bars, and if you were half aware of the city you live in you would know that the dining/ culinary scene in NoLibs and Fishtown has taken off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Come on. That was a troll post and trying to provoke us.

Hell, that "poster" could have gone to Overbrook Park or Wynnefield, for example, and not seen any boarded up houses. Overbrook Farms is gorgeous. Girard Estates has fabulous houses that would cost close to $1 million elsewhere.

East Falls, Fox Chase? We shouldn't forget those. And Pennypack Park. It's a gem.

Folks like that won't explore the 142 sq miles of the city.
Posts like that annoy me so much. I am not denying that Philadelphia has bad parts and a lot of problems to overcome, but how ignorant can you be to bash neighborhoods here and make the city seem less because of that... That poster should take a trip to the Bronx and then they'll appreciate the trash ridden South Philly.

Also, I love New York and Manhattan, but it is dirty and smelly, especially in the summer, yet I am amazed how that is glossed over every time, yet Philadelphia is a s***hole.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,848,474 times
Quote:
We took them to almost all the places you mentions. Skipped Manayunk and East Falls because I really think they are average neigborhoods. And not one single person I know enjoys visiting Fishtown. That is such an overrated neighborhood in my opinion.

I didn't purposely take them to a neighborhood with boarded up windows, we were actually on our way to East Passyunk. Don't get me wrong, there are some great bars and restaurants in East Passyunk but you go a few blocks either way and you're back surrounded by run down row homes and trash covered streets.

I'm not trying to bash Philly, I do enjoy living here. I just don't think its a great city like some people make it out to be.
That's a cute story and all, but next time do your research beforehand.

These days there are very few-if any-boarded up homes in South Philly East of Broad--homes and lots have never been worth more or seen the current increases in values. Development has been rapid. Even in run-down Philly neighborhoods there are beautiful homes and architecture. You can't say that about many cities...

Anyway, as for this thread-Philly has never been the darling city of media relations or PR. Some might say we are unable to "put on airs" or the masks often necessary to appeal to the generic American audience at large--whom may be ignorant on Philly/US history, and automatically think Boston, NYC or (the worst when I see this) DC.

Philly is a quirky major city that has always seemed to have somewhat of a "Us Vs Them" thing going on with the rest of the country---it has created a really cool and unique culture and vibe here though IMO that many are only just beginning to discover.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:35 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,703,295 times
Quote:
Only a small portion of this city is great though. And it's a very small portion.

Family and friends who come to visit my wife and I love walking around Society Hill, Queen Village and Filter Square but most other areas of the city are an eye-sore and not very appealing.

I took my friends on a bike ride last a couple of weekends ago through South Philly and they couldn't believe how dirty and unattractive a lot of the city is. It wasn't a great experience showing them around the city and seeing trash stuck in drains and boarded up houses just a mile away from beautiful homes in Society Hill.

Don't forget Cedar Park, Fairmount, and Spring Garden

Old 07-07-2018, 03:40 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,703,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
As if New York, DC, LA, Chicago, etc. don't have bad neighborhoods?? Some of the scariest and most run-down neighborhoods I have seen were not in Philadelphia. Do I have lesser opinions of those cities? No, because every city has them. What makes Philadelphia different is that some less desirable/ attractive neighborhoods are closer to Center City, and sometimes you have to go through a bad neighborhood to get to a good one. That is just the nature of the city, and how the development has spread.

But, overall that was a very ignorant statement. And regardless of your opinions is it a great, what are you reasons to state otherwise? Because you don't like seeing boarded up houses?

And you are the first person I have met who does not like Fishtown. I have snobby New York friends who love Fishtown. They love the character, the diversity, the eclectic shops and bars, and if you were half aware of the city you live in you would know that the dining/ culinary scene in NoLibs and Fishtown has taken off.

Posts like that annoy me so much. I am not denying that Philadelphia has bad parts and a lot of problems to overcome, but how ignorant can you be to bash neighborhoods here and make the city seem less because of that... That poster should take a trip to the Bronx and then they'll appreciate the trash ridden South Philly.

Also, I love New York and Manhattan, but it is dirty and smelly, especially in the summer, yet I am amazed how that is glossed over every time, yet Philadelphia is a s***hole.

I agree there is no city in the US that is perfect.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:18 PM

1,680 posts, read 945,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I take umbrage with part of your last statement, of course. Why? Because those of us who have been here all along know this upswing can disappear. Nothing is permanent. Well, you know that, of course. Additionally newer residents to the area are reaping the benefits of what others did before you showed up. This renaissance has a long arch going back quite some time.

Personally, I am happy and grateful you are here. But the gratitude seems to be missing for folks who've always been here.
I shouldn't have been so general with my use of the term lifers when describing the indifference I so ineloquently mentioned.

It's not everyone, of course. And i was more talking about some of the opinions I've experienced here from some posters who bash Philly as long-time residents who may not even be here anymore.

One of the things i love most about this town are the people I've met who grew up here. And those guys would never live anywhere else.

Sorry, Karen. Didn't mean to diss you.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:13 AM

13,945 posts, read 8,803,230 times
Since you asked, Karen, and now that I've made my way through all of this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Ok but why does Boston get tons of national media coverage on the 4th and Philadelphia gets none?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
NYC and DC don't need a reason. Boston is much more of a model city (lower crime, lower poverty, but with the history to boot). Philly is the poorest of the 10 big cities. That has to have something to do with it.
Quote:
100% the demographics of the need to change, and the arrival of Amazon, or Schuylkill Yards or more super-bowl wins will also help.

Philadelphia needs to stand out from its Northeastern competitors in order to be noticed more and taken more seriously.
Quote:
We are talking about the media, so yes that could be enough of a reason.

Do you if Philadelphia had the lowest poverty rate among the nations largest cities it would still be ignored the way it is? I think not.

Crime is also not an attractive trait, Chicago seems to hold that award for large cities, but Philadelphia could easily take it back.

That being said, I don't necessarily see a problem with Philadelphia taking a back seat to NYC and DC (that won't change), but Boston is irritating, even LA.

Lets just hope in 2026 if we are still around that there will be some media coverage in Philadelphia.
Before I cut to the chase, first of all, I don't think our poverty rate has anything to do with it. Even when New York was the subject of films like "Escape from New York," its Fourth of July celebration got attention Philadelphia's didn't.

The one time I can think of seeing Philadelphia get national media coverage on the Fourth was in 1976, the Bicentennial year. I do remember seeing footage of one of the parades here that year on the network news in Kansas City. Yep, the year Mayor Frank Rizzo scared half the country into staying away from Philadelphia's big Bicentennial celebration because he said he couldn't guarantee their safety. In case anyone forgot, this was the year after New York had its brush with municipal bankruptcy (Philadelphia's wouldn't occur until Wilson Goode had taken office, almost 15 years after New York's meltdown).

I think Lenses & Lights. got closer to the reason our Fourth of July celebration gets no respect at the national level with her comments about the headline performer.

As long as the celebration has taken its current form, we've had some sort of pop, R&B, hip-hop or rock musician doing the main gig as the bombs burst in the air.

I was watching this year's fireworks from a rooftop perch in Francisville, and after belting out "God Bless America" to the explosions, a few of the other attendees and I got to talking about what music would go best with the fireworks.

One of them said that, of course, the "1812 Overture" would be perfect. I recalled one fireworks show I saw where the bursts were choreographed to the "Royal Fireworks Music" and thought that was a damned good show.

You get three guesses which city uses (has used) both of these works as musical accompaniment to its fireworks displays. Here's a hint: PBS often broadcasts its concert from a photogenic band shell in an equally photogenic riverside park.

When I was attending the Hatch Shell concerts while I lived in Boston, the Boston Pops almost always concluded with the "1812 Overture."

The other city whose concert PBS regularly broadcast is Washington's. "A Capital Fourth" includes fireworks set off to (IIRC) John Philip Sousa marches or similar performed by the National Symphony Orchestra. (Or is it a Marine Corps band? I forget.)

We get Brian McKnight, or Mary J. Blige, or Questlove, or some Hall and Oates clone. I love all of these performers - well, okay, all Brian McKnight songs sound alike after a while - but their music just isn't suitable to a fireworks show IMO.*

Shouldn't we have the Fabulous Philadelphians, or at least the Philly Pops, playing the "Liberty Bell March" or something like it on the Fourth? (I think Monty Python is now far enough into the mists of history that listeners won't expect a giant foot to come down out of the sky and stop the music about halfway through the march.) We can even steal thunder from Washington and combine it with the "Washington Post March" followed by "Stars and Stripes Forever", a combination I've heard once at the Hatch Shell.

And maybe we shouldn't be complaining to Comcast, though they deserve it given their ownership of NBC, but throwing a few more brickbats in Bill Marrazzo's direction at WHYY. "PBS" doesn't produce the Boston and Washington TV broadcasts; WGBH and WETA do and make them available on the "PBS national schedule." Nothing save 'HYY's underperforming TV station management prevents them from doing the same.

The short version: Poverty, schmoverty - we have it in our power to do better. What we don't have are the people ready to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly is a quirky major city that has always seemed to have somewhat of a "Us Vs Them" thing going on with the rest of the country---it has created a really cool and unique culture and vibe here though IMO that many are only just beginning to discover.
Cue Jason Kelce:

"We're from Philly
F**kin' Philly
No one likes us
We don't care"

*Edited to add: I might be willing to make one exception - for Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom." I think you could choreograph a great fireworks display to it, and it would be totally appropriate.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 07-08-2018 at 02:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia