Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The website seems to be down a lot. Have not checked lately but last week when I called they told me it could be down for up to two weeks. Can re-load over the phone on their automated line.

yeah I haven't tried, but hopefully some upgrades go into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Does it look like the city proper will ever get another line?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Does it look like the city proper will ever get another line?
No.

Well, the NHSL spur from Norristown to KoP is the most likely to happen.. But, anything else? No. Course it's not in the city proper.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:18 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
Wow! My son tried to register his SEPTA key online and he couldn't. We'll try again this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The website seems to be down a lot. Have not checked lately but last week when I called they told me it could be down for up to two weeks. Can re-load over the phone on their automated line.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:21 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No.

Well, the NHSL spur from Norristown to KoP is the most likely to happen.. But, anything else? No. Course it's not in the city proper.
I wouldn't be so definite.

Yes, the BSL Navy Yard extension is a long shot, but there are people with some clout behind it.

The shame is that we probably will never see the Northeast subway, which really is needed.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Once they start accepting Key on the Regional Rail, that should solve the problem. meaning, they will have kiosks at all the stations.
Does Regional Rail only accept the key card on the weekends?

Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Does Regional Rail only accept the key card on the weekends?
Key card holders with passes loaded on their cards can ride Regional Rail for free on weekends (a longstanding SEPTA policy for TransPass holders).

Ultimately, when those turnstiles go live, everyone riding Regional Rail will need a Key card. I assume that single-fare riders without Key cards will be able to purchase Quick Trip tickets to their destinations.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:08 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Double post, please delete

Old 07-23-2018, 06:10 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I assume that single-fare riders without Key cards will be able to purchase Quick Trip tickets to their destinations.
I have not noticed ticket vending machines being put into most outlying RR stations, even though the card readers seem to be installed. At this point I'd have to assume they don't have an intention of putting vending machines at all their station.

The pilot program seems to keep on utilizing these SEPTA ambassadors that guard the fare lines (making a lot of what the conductor does obsolete). Meaning if you have a paper ticket, you show it to the ambassador who then allows you to enter the turnstile (thank goodness they FINALLY moved these ambassadors to the waiting area entrance, so that you are now able to change tracks if you need to! The old policy held you hostage to your initial choice, meaning no changing your mind on your train if one became unreasonably late. One time I got onto the track to take the Chestnut Hill West, which became later and later - and all I could do was watch the Chestnut Hill East go by on the other side because I had already made my decision).

I'm really fascinated by how this key card on the regional rail thing is going to play out - there's a lot that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The logistics of passenger flow is the big thing. Aside from masses of people all having to swipe their card to exit the station at the same time, the turnstiles are very small! I'm way slimmer than the average RR passenger, and it's a tight squeeze if I have a bag. I'm guessing a whole lot of people are going to greatly prefer the ADA accessible turnstile. Today is the beginning of turnstile enforcement at 30th Street Station, so I guess that will answer some questions. Ease for the occasional rider doesn't seem great either, but I guess it never was, so there's nothing lost.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I have not noticed ticket vending machines being put into most outlying RR stations, even though the card readers seem to be installed. At this point I'd have to assume they don't have an intention of putting vending machines at all their station.

The pilot program seems to keep on utilizing these SEPTA ambassadors that guard the fare lines (making a lot of what the conductor does obsolete). Meaning if you have a paper ticket, you show it to the ambassador who then allows you to enter the turnstile (thank goodness they FINALLY moved these ambassadors to the waiting area entrance, so that you are now able to change tracks if you need to! The old policy held you hostage to your initial choice, meaning no changing your mind on your train if one became unreasonably late. One time I got onto the track to take the Chestnut Hill West, which became later and later - and all I could do was watch the Chestnut Hill East go by on the other side because I had already made my decision).

I'm really fascinated by how this key card on the regional rail thing is going to play out - there's a lot that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. The logistics of passenger flow is the big thing. Aside from masses of people all having to swipe their card to exit the station at the same time, the turnstiles are very small! I'm way slimmer than the average RR passenger, and it's a tight squeeze if I have a bag. I'm guessing a whole lot of people are going to greatly prefer the ADA accessible turnstile. Today is the beginning of turnstile enforcement at 30th Street Station, so I guess that will answer some questions. Ease for the occasional rider doesn't seem great either, but I guess it never was, so there's nothing lost.
These are all the things I've been thinking of. Sedgwick is a good example of a station with no vending machine, no turnstile, but a reader is sitting there. What do they expect me to do with that? And why? The entire line is capped at zone 2. So, if I scan with a Zone 2, do I really need to buzz out? Will they implement turnstiles? And will the conductors still check fare on the train, and if so, why? So many strange concepts.

Agreed 100% on the turnstiles. Why did they implement them so tightly? Couldn't they have just made the fencing shorter and spread the turnstiles out another 6 inches? I'm also pretty thin, so no problem for me, but there are many that are not so thin to your point.

And, thank god they're turning the turnstiles on. How much longer do we need to go on showing our cards/tickets to people outside the turnstiles? Just turn them on already. Btw, how will paper tickets be handled now that the turnstiles are turned on? I thought they would have forced everyone onto a Key before turning them on. Would have made sense to me, just give the conductors readers and we could have had everyone off of paper tickets and swipe cards by now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia