Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:34 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times

Advertisements

I thought this was worthy of creating it's own thread now that more info has came out about it.

A quick summary of what is happening:

Quote:
Cherry Street Pier is a mixed-use public space created by and for the community. Built into the shell of a century-old municipal pier, Cherry Street Pier is a reflection of Philadelphia today – enthralling, malleable, and diverse. The Pier is at once a market, workspace, venue, and park, equitably shared and enriched by residents and visitors.

The Space

Cherry Street Pier occupies the former Municipal Pier 9 on the Delaware River, a relic of the city’s industrial heritage built in 1919. After years of vacancy, the building’s 55,000 square feet have been sustainably reborn as a communal thoroughfare hosting merchants, artists, a bar and dining venue, businesess, performance and event space, and an outdoor garden.

The Hub
A casual space for dining and drinking welcomes Philadelphians to an open and accessible setting to meet, share, and celebrate.

The Garage
The Garage offers Philadelphia’s most ambitious artists, creatives, and businesses a collaborative, vibrant, and affordable home to make and invent in studios built from repurposed shipping containers.

The Market
The Market is a bazaar-like corridor where local merchants and artisans vend goods and services that support city residents and delight visitors.

The Platform
As a truly responsive public forum, the Platform is a constantly revolving and adaptable performance venue, art exhibition, recreation area, and event space that is both curated and experienced by the community.

The Garden
An open-air garden springs from Cherry Street Pier’s steel trusses to provide a placid and green refuge on the riverbank, complete with a cafe and space for recreation and relaxation.

The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation is investing $683,000 in the project to test a model for repurposing civic spaces to help cities increase economic opportunity and promote inclusion.
http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.c...ry-street-pier

First thing that strikes me is that it is a way more ambitious project compared to the Race Street Pier.

Can a "Market" and collaborative space of local merchants and artisans survive out there on the water? I think if done right, it will succeed!

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 06-26-2017 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I thought this was worthy of creating it's own thread now that more info has came out about it.

A quick summary of what is happening:

DRWC

First thing that strikes me is that it is a way more ambitious project compared to the Race Street Pier.

Can a "Market" and collaborative space of local merchants and artisans survive out there on the water? I think if done right, it will succeed!
With sufficient word-of-mouth and other advertising, I think it will succeed too.

The Race Street Pier was a pioneering project that's worked. Time to add more ambitious projects which this one is.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Great project. I think with all of the recent foot traffic and activity as well as the infusion of residents a few blocks away will help this project succeed. If only we could do something about Columbus Blvd.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,555,996 times
In real estate, water frontage is extremely desirable. There is something about water that draws people to it.

Quote:

Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Great project. I think with all of the recent foot traffic and activity as well as the infusion of residents a few blocks away will help this project succeed. If only we could do something about Columbus Blvd.
Give it time.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,652 times
I think the success of Le Peg, the race street pier and Morgan's pier make this less ambitious (risky) than those previous projects.

The interesting thing to see is whether they can create enough of a draw for it to be profitable. That's something Race Street pier doesn't rely on. Morgan's does but their target demographic is vastly differerent than the Cherry Street pier.

Really hope it works, though.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
In real estate, water frontage is extremely desirable. There is something about water that draws people to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
With sufficient word-of-mouth and other advertising, I think it will succeed too.

The Race Street Pier was a pioneering project that's worked. Time to add more ambitious projects which this one is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I think the success of Le Peg, the race street pier and Morgan's pier make this less ambitious (risky) than those previous projects.

The interesting thing to see is whether they can create enough of a draw for it to be profitable. That's something Race Street pier doesn't rely on. Morgan's does but their target demographic is vastly differerent than the Cherry Street pier.

Good points and all I agree with. One aspect I enjoy about Le Peg is the Fringe Arts. Bring some of those productions outside onto the pier has to be apart of their plan.

Also if the storefronts don't work out, they could probably turn it into a wedding venue and make their money back pretty quickly

Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

It should work for a while because it's new. But long term? Who knows?

There have been a series of different entertainment venues/restaurants(seasonal) around that area, on the Delaware, near the BF Bridge going back to the 90s, so time will tell, obviously, about how it does.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,396 times
Brings to mind the Embarcadero/Ferry Building in San Francisco.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Good points and all I agree with. One aspect I enjoy about Le Peg is the Fringe Arts. Bring some of those productions outside onto the pier has to be apart of their plan.

Also if the storefronts don't work out, they could probably turn it into a wedding venue and make their money back pretty quickly
When Fringe first started some of the performances were outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia