Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:14 PM

80 posts, read 51,290 times

Advertisements

Greetings.
I am from Atlanta, Ga but have lived in NYC for 11 years. I am looking for a better quality of life and have researched PA and passed through it as well.
I decided that I want to move to Philadelphia, especially to the lower Merion area but I ran across a video and article regarding improving the silent racism there and I am petrified. My two sons have autism and I want them to have a good education without being discriminated against in school. If someone treats them bad (like a teacher) I wouldn't know. I hate to ask this question, but I must. I want to know if this is an area that I can move to, work and my children not face harsh racism or discrimination. Please share how your children feel in that district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
I don't get the feel being in the school district would be a problem. If anything, maybe some people in the community might feel uncomfortable. I could be wrong. Unfortunately, racism is basically everywhere. Some of it is probably unconscious.

Also, some of what might seem like racism could be socio-economic discrimination or difficulty meshing with other cultures instead.

How old are your kids? There are good private schools that specialize in working with autism if you have the means to afford it.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
I don't think they will be discriminated against, however, they will at times experience prejudice anywhere in America. Speaking as an immigrant who sees things differently, the most important thing is how they react when they experience prejudice. I can tell you that for many African Americans the wounds of slavery run deep and they still carry on them the burden of their ancestry. If there is one thing you can teach them it is not to carry or dwell on any negative experiences in their lives.

The statistics in the US don't favor black males and they have rise beyond the expectations of the white male dominated society. The earlier they figure this out the better their life will be. It is what it is.

That said, I've always been fascinated by this article Don't try and shelter them. Teach them how to deal with the negative experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazzaly22 View Post
Greetings.
I am from Atlanta, Ga but have lived in NYC for 11 years. I am looking for a better quality of life and have researched PA and passed through it as well.
I decided that I want to move to Philadelphia, especially to the lower Merion area but I ran across a video and article regarding improving the silent racism there and I am petrified. My two sons have autism and I want them to have a good education without being discriminated against in school. If someone treats them bad (like a teacher) I wouldn't know. I hate to ask this question, but I must. I want to know if this is an area that I can move to, work and my children not face harsh racism or discrimination. Please share how your children feel in that district.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 AM

80 posts, read 51,290 times
I appreciate your comments.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:14 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I don't think they will be discriminated against, however, they will at times experience prejudice anywhere in America. Speaking as an immigrant who sees things differently, the most important thing is how they react when they experience prejudice. I can tell you that for many African Americans the wounds of slavery run deep and they still carry on them the burden of their ancestry. If there is one thing you can teach them it is not to carry or dwell on any negative experiences in their lives.

The statistics in the US don't favor black males and they have rise beyond the expectations of the white male dominated society. The earlier they figure this out the better their life will be. It is what it is.

That said, I've always been fascinated by this article Don't try and shelter them. Teach them how to deal with the negative experiences.
I have that author's earlier book "Member of the Club" in my library. By describing his own awakening to the facts he describes in this essay, it's a prequel of sorts.

I understand the points he is making and agree with the ones you make here.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I don't get the feel being in the school district would be a problem. If anything, maybe some people in the community might feel uncomfortable. I could be wrong. Unfortunately, racism is basically everywhere. Some of it is probably unconscious.

Also, some of what might seem like racism could be socio-economic discrimination or difficulty meshing with other cultures instead.

How old are your kids? There are good private schools that specialize in working with autism if you have the means to afford it.
And don't mistake generally snobbery or quietness toward outsiders as racism. Lower Merion is different than a lot of other suburbs because it can come off as a bit more high-strung, especially in certain communities (Villanova, Gladwyne)

Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
Further to what cpomp said, I'd want to know where in Lower Merion you're thinking of moving. It's a big township, and there are definitely differences among the various towns that make up the township. Do you have any preliminary ideas as to where you're looking?

Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khazzaly22 View Post
Greetings.

Are you African-American?

The most I can say is the most established and largest AA community on the Main Line( and Lower Merion SD is on the Main Line) is in S. Ardmore and has been there for over a century.

I'm a POC and grew up in an adjacent school district, Haverford. I never felt overt or subtle discrimination and I graduated from HS in 1967(!)

However you want to know what's going on now. So someone conversant in today's climate needs to chime in.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

The OP is from Atlanta. I don't think they need a history lesson.

And, guess what? POC already know about and learn about trying to deal with "negative experiences" from childhood. No need for your white-splaining. More

Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
I provided my own perspective. Personally, I think most minorities react to racism the wrong way and internalize racism hence the many of the problems you see even in predominantly AA communities.

Did you read the article that I posted? It's from a very successful AA lawyer so you can imagine how your regular folk is dealing with racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The OP is from Atlanta. I don't think they need a history lesson.

And, guess what? POC already know about and learn about trying to deal with "negative experiences" from childhood. No need for your white-splaining. More
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia