U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 12:16 PM

50 posts, read 41,244 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are contemplating job offers, and relocation to the Philadelphia area. As we weigh our options, I was curious about possible places to live/what we could afford in the area. We have family and friends that live in Chesterbrook, but that seems a little far to commute for me (if I accept the offer, I'll be working near Fairmount Park).

When are you moving? Within the next 3-4 months
Where are you coming from? Long Island, New York (I work in Manhattan).
Why are you moving? Job opportunities (and frankly, we don't love much of Long Island).
Where will you be working? I'll be working near Fairmount Park. My husband has several job opportunities - some in Center City, but the most appealing ones are in Wayne.
Have you been here yet? Yes, several times.

Will you buy or rent? Buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Looking for a house, preferably under $1million. Should be 4-5 bedrooms, no preference on new construction (although, we probably don't have the headspace to do major renovations on older homes). Ideally, my commute should be no more than 30 minutes, door to door (I'm indifferent on driving vs. public transportation).

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA suburbs only. No New Jersey.
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, one daughter who is not quite a year old.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Strong preference towards public schools.
Do you have pets? No.
Do you want or need a yard? Strong preference towards a yard of some sort.
Are you keeping a car? Yes, will have two cars.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet, but close enough to activity of some kind.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - 2 (next highest priority)
Shopping - 4 (second lowest priority)
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - 1 (highest priority)
Nightlife - 5 (lowest priority)
Train or subway stations - 3 (middle priority)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We're an mid-30s married couple (I'm white, my husband is Chinese), with an infant daughter. We do want to expose our daughter to diversity in terms of race, religion, etc. - but if possible, we would also want to be around families with children around her age.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Wine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:43 PM

544 posts, read 462,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITransplant83 View Post
Hello! My husband and I are contemplating job offers, and relocation to the Philadelphia area. As we weigh our options, I was curious about possible places to live/what we could afford in the area. We have family and friends that live in Chesterbrook, but that seems a little far to commute for me (if I accept the offer, I'll be working near Fairmount Park).

When are you moving? Within the next 3-4 months
Where are you coming from? Long Island, New York (I work in Manhattan).
Why are you moving? Job opportunities (and frankly, we don't love much of Long Island).
Where will you be working? I'll be working near Fairmount Park. My husband has several job opportunities - some in Center City, but the most appealing ones are in Wayne.
Have you been here yet? Yes, several times.

Will you buy or rent? Buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Looking for a house, preferably under $1million. Should be 4-5 bedrooms, no preference on new construction (although, we probably don't have the headspace to do major renovations on older homes). Ideally, my commute should be no more than 30 minutes, door to door (I'm indifferent on driving vs. public transportation).

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA suburbs only. No New Jersey.
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, one daughter who is not quite a year old.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Strong preference towards public schools.
Do you have pets? No.
Do you want or need a yard? Strong preference towards a yard of some sort.
Are you keeping a car? Yes, will have two cars.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet, but close enough to activity of some kind.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - 2 (next highest priority)
Shopping - 4 (second lowest priority)
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - 1 (highest priority)
Nightlife - 5 (lowest priority)
Train or subway stations - 3 (middle priority)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We're an mid-30s married couple (I'm white, my husband is Chinese), with an infant daughter. We do want to expose our daughter to diversity in terms of race, religion, etc. - but if possible, we would also want to be around families with children around her age.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Wine

Can you be more specific about where you job is than near Fairmount park? The Park is massive. You could be talking about Center City, West Philly, North Philly, or Northwest Philly. Would your office be near a regional rail station?

It will be tough to find a 30 minute commute into the City from any PA suburb. I would focus on the Eastern Sections of Lower Merion like Merion Station and Ardmore.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM

883 posts, read 530,206 times
Fairmount Park is pretty big, so it would be easier to assist you if we knew a little bit more about the location of your potential job. You don't have to tell us exactly where it is, but right now I'm assuming it's in West Philadelphia. Can you elaborate a bit for us?

Old 07-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Fairmount Park is pretty big, so it would be easier to assist you if we knew a little bit more about the location of your potential job. You don't have to tell us exactly where it is, but right now I'm assuming it's in West Philadelphia. Can you elaborate a bit for us?
Sorry about that! I'd be working near the Franklin Institute.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:28 PM

7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
The first that came to my mind were -- in no particular order -- Bala Cynwyd/Wynnewood/Ardmore, Media/Swarthmore, Havertown.

I'm sure other posters will weigh in on those and other locations.

(I take in living in the city is not a consideration? I can't blame you if is isn't. I wouldn't live in the city either if I weren't already here.)

Old 07-30-2018, 03:13 PM

11 posts, read 15,779 times
Ardmore, Wynnewood, Penn Wynne, Havertown, Bryn Mawr, Narberth. You should be able to find a house you like within your budget.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The first that came to my mind were -- in no particular order -- Bala Cynwyd/Wynnewood/Ardmore, Media/Swarthmore, Havertown.

I'm sure other posters will weigh in on those and other locations.

(I take in living in the city is not a consideration? I can't blame you if is isn't. I wouldn't live in the city either if I weren't already here.)
I'd love to live in the city (I lived in NYC for years before moving to LI), but my husband tends to be of the "visit the city for the day, then head home" type of person.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 PM

7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
There are neighborhoods IN the city limits, right at the city line, that have a very suburban feel. BUT if you're going to live that close to the city limit IN the city, you might as well CROSS the city line....I don't see any real benefit to being in the city, if you can move across the street or with in blocks anyway.

And the city wage tax would be higher for you....if you lived in the city. So that's another reason NOT to live in the city.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:13 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times
I think you should definitely check out the Media area, and Wayne, Bryn Mawr/ Ardmore areas.

All very beautiful active suburban communities with great schools, lots of recreation and amenities, fairly diverse (for suburbs) and easy access to the city.

I think the city is great, but if a new family is unsure about suburbs vs city, my vote is generally the suburbs, because they usually do not disappoint. The city is a lot of fun (restaurants, theater, parks, etc.) but it can also be crowded, loud, dirty, etc. (you know this since you lived in New York).

You also won't need to think twice about any public school district near the towns I suggested, the city is much more of a challenge.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:27 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think you should definitely check out the Media area, and Wayne, Bryn Mawr/ Ardmore areas.

All very beautiful active suburban communities with great schools, lots of recreation and amenities, fairly diverse (for suburbs) and easy access to the city.

I think the city is great, but if a new family is unsure about suburbs vs city, my vote is generally the suburbs, because they usually do not disappoint. The city is a lot of fun (restaurants, theater, parks, etc.) but it can also be crowded, loud, dirty, etc. (you know this since you lived in New York).

You also won't need to think twice about any public school district near the towns I suggested, the city is much more of a challenge.
Small children are very much present in city neighborhoods that might interest them. But, yes, the OP mentioned suburban living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia