U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 861 times

Advertisements

I plan to visit the Great City of Philadelphia for a few days in a couple of weeks. I was wondering whether to stay in a hotel or in an airbnb room/apt. I would appreciate some information on the best neighborhoods, hotels and airbnb rooms/apts close to Island Avenue area. I will be coming in from a sister Great City - New York City. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,039,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones1160 View Post
I plan to visit the Great City of Philadelphia for a few days in a couple of weeks. I was wondering whether to stay in a hotel or in an airbnb room/apt. I would appreciate some information on the best neighborhoods, hotels and airbnb rooms/apts close to Island Avenue area. I will be coming in from a sister Great City - New York City. Thank you.
Personally I would forget Island Avenue. The hotels probably are cheaper but it isn’t actually in the ‘city’. It’s basically just next to the airport.

There are a lot of nice hotels in Center City. If price is an issue, Airbnb is popular here. I would focus my search on the Rittenhouse, Washington Sq West, Old City, Society Hill, Fitler square, queen village, Fairmount, and belle vista neighborhoods. You should find lots of results.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:34 PM

374 posts, read 563,852 times
Philly has quite a few Hostels, if you're compatible with that type of (very inexpensive) stay. Here is one of the top rated ones: Apple Hostels – Know Where You've Been - Click on "Rooms and Rates" for photos of the room types. Just note, like many Hostels, there are no private baths.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:02 AM

8,999 posts, read 11,779,892 times
I would strongly recommend The Alexander Inn in Center City. Great location and rooms. Have a great trip!Alexander Inn | Philadephia Hotel | Best Boutique Hotel Center City
We stayed there in Sept 2016.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:33 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I would strongly recommend The Alexander Inn in Center City. Great location and rooms. Have a great trip!Alexander Inn | Philadephia Hotel | Best Boutique Hotel Center City
We stayed there in Sept 2016.
I 2nd the Alexander, having stayed there several times and never having anything other than a stellar experience. It may be more $ than somewhere around the airport, but also factor in the cost of SEPTA to get into the city ($6 or so each way - so airport hotel is $x+12). And unless you're willing to make multiple trips to Island Ave hotels each day, you're stuck in the city - a nice place to be, but you don't have the minor luxury of saying "I'm tired. Think I'll go back to the hotel for a short break."

Old 08-01-2018, 02:45 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,024,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones1160 View Post
Also note that SEPTA Eastwick station is going to have substitute bus service for a while this month.

"RRD: The Southwest Connection Improvement Program will impact service continuously starting Saturday, Aug. 4 through Sunday, Aug. 19. Please plan ahead as special Airport, Media/Elwyn and Wilmington/Newark schedules will be in effect. Bus service will also replace the Airport Line and Media/Elwyn service (between 49th Street and 30th Street Stations only)."

Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Please see my DM.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:17 PM

1,335 posts, read 744,737 times
Do not stay at the airport/Island Ave.

You will be miserable.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 861 times
Thank you all for the great information. I believe it would be better to stay in one of the hotels in Center City.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:27 AM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
I'm going to pile on on behalf of the Alexander Inn, whose owner I rented an apartment from from 1983 until 2000.

The rooms are compact but very nicely furnished and comfortable; you get a complimentary breakfast every morning; and its location can't be beat.

You really can't go wrong staying there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or