Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:17 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,116,884 times

Advertisements

Of course there are the ubiquitous cheese steak and hoagie joints, and Tastykake is a staple, and who could forget Franks sodas.

I also remember "Greenwood Dairies" - a great place for ice cream; but I am having a little trouble remembering the name of this one...

There used to be a juice company in Philadelphia (or maybe in the metro) that sold its various juices and juice combinations in little brown 12 oz (?) bottles. The caps were the press on (not screw on) type and had a motto or saying printed on the underside. And you could get flavors such as"

Apple
Grape
Apple-Grape
Apple-Banana
Grape-Banana

OK, maybe not grape-banana, but all other sorts of flavors that maybe didn't sound right, but were pretty good. I don't know if they are still in business or not, but I know the little bottles bottles faded out in about the mid-80's to early 90's.

Can anyone refresh my memory on what the name of the juice company was? "Avery's" keeps coming to mind, but I am not sure that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,467,497 times
I’m unsure of the juice company but how can you make a thread about Philadelphia comfort foods and not mention one of our favorites, soft pretzels!

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 07-31-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 5,819 times
Or Tastykakes - in general!?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I’m unsure of the juice company but how can you make a thread about Philadelphia comfort foods and not mention one of our favorites, soft pretzels!
I was not trying to create a comprehensive list - although I do LOVE the GIANT soft pretzels - I used to get one every Sunday morning from the guy selling pretzels and the Inquirer on the island at Broad and Belfield Ave. Do they still sell them at that spot?

But I welcome any and everyone to add their favorite to the end of this thread!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,467,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I was not trying to create a comprehensive list - although I do LOVE the GIANT soft pretzels - I used to get one every Sunday morning from the guy selling pretzels and the Inquirer on the island at Broad and Belfield Ave. Do they still sell them at that spot?
No clue if the guy still goes out there. Probably not, but maybe. When I think of the intersect of Broad and Belfield, Sid Booker’s is what comes to mind. Not sure how long that has been there or how long ago you were in Philly.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 PM

9,321 posts, read 12,937,107 times
In addition to the usual suspects, there’s butter cake, snapper soup, and the Philly surf ‘n turf (fishcake and an all beef hotdog).

Old 07-31-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
No clue if the guy still goes out there. Probably not, but maybe. When I think of the intersect of Broad and Belfield, Sid Booker’s is what comes to mind. Not sure how long that has been there or how long ago you were in Philly.
No, I don't know Booker's, I left in 91.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:56 AM

9,353 posts, read 9,241,842 times
This sounds basic, but I love Herrs Pretzels sticks more than any other brand. I chow down on those when I am home.

Can't find them up here :/

Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM

745 posts, read 451,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
In addition to the usual suspects, there’s butter cake, snapper soup, and the Philly surf ‘n turf (fishcake and an all beef hotdog).
Wow, I haven't had a fishcake in while...long overdue.

I will add the roast pork sandwich, scrapple, and pork roll.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:10 PM

34,151 posts, read 18,427,189 times
Bassetts Ice Cream, Soft Pretzels with mustard (Federal), Goldenberg's Peanut Chews, (in addition to those mentioned above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: