U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:52 PM

667 posts, read 452,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I like Wawa. Actually, I wish they had seating because I don't do to-go and I honestly hate eating in the car. Some Wawa's have a benches outside but they are at the front of the store facing the gas pumps.

I've been to Sheetz and they don't come close to Wawa. However, I think they target a different demographic.
The Wawa down in Headhouse Square got a re-do about a year ago and they built in-shop seating. That place is absolutely mobbed during lunch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM

6,224 posts, read 5,560,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, you said that the food is crappy & that's your right. I suggested that you try out Quick Trip. Then if you want to try calling WaWa's food crappy you've crappy to compare with it. It's not fine dining. It's convenience store food.
I missed the part where convenience store food must be crappy by default.
And I am not "trying" to call Wawas food crappy, it is crappy, lol. How could anyone disagree?

Don't be a drama queen. I am allowed to say their food is crappy without the peanut gallery coming to Wawas defense.

That being said, I still get prepared food on occasion when I am in the city, I would probably go there often if I lived in Philadelphia because its safe, fast, and cheap.

Back to my original point (which you overlooked), the reason I brought up their food quality is because not that long ago it was much better. And as a result of Wawas growth spurt, the food quality went down, that is a corporate trend that Wawa is not immune to.

The whole issue with the panhandlers is not related to this.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:41 PM

186 posts, read 111,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Where did I say Wawa was crappy???? I said most of their prepared food is crappy, which it is. Its fast and convenient and fine to eat (I used to go there before I moved, and still take Philly newbies to Wawa).

I grew up with Wawa, my whole point was that it has turned into a monster corporation, it doesn't bother me, but that is what happens when companies grow.

Regarding the experience in general, suburban Wawas are perfectly fine, but the city ones (minus a few) have a bad element to them.

I even said its the best convenient store, but I don't think its amazing... sheesh

I do agree with Karen on this one, seems like people are traitors if they do not praise everything about Wawa.
Respond to my previous post. The notion that Wawa is anything more than the best convenience store in the country is the point. (Which it is) Is anyone claiming it’s James Beard bonafides? Is anyone saying it’s the best sandwich in America? Is anyone suggesting that a Wawa hoagie is haute cuisine? No.

******it’s a convenience store*****

Cheap and quick and adequate. And it excels, beyond comparison, at that.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 PM

1,335 posts, read 744,209 times
I work walking distance to the 19th/Market location.

Perfectly fine. Busy. Clean. And employees are very friendly.

Hoagiefest is the best thing ever. Literally I ordered a:

Full size.

Classic wheat with roasted chicken breast. Garlic Aioli. Pepper jack cheese. Spinach. Cucumber. Jalapeno. Hot Peppers. Pickles. Pepper. Old Bay.

For $5.

It was ALWAYS presented BEAUTIFULLY. And for $5 was a STEAL that tasted. nom.

LOVE WAWA.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 PM

374 posts, read 563,777 times
Enough about WAWA : https://mashable.com/2016/03/09/the-.../#z1JmMV8r55qA

Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM

23,167 posts, read 28,579,960 times
Quote:
I missed the part where convenience store food must be crappy by default.
And I am not "trying" to call Wawas food crappy, it is crappy, lol. How could anyone disagree?

Don't be a drama queen. I am allowed to say their food is crappy without the peanut gallery coming to Wawas defense.

That being said, I still get prepared food on occasion when I am in the city, I would probably go there often if I lived in Philadelphia because its safe, fast, and cheap.

Back to my original point (which you overlooked), the reason I brought up their food quality is because not that long ago it was much better. And as a result of Wawas growth spurt, the food quality went down, that is a corporate trend that Wawa is not immune to.

The whole issue with the panhandlers is not related to this.
Good grief. In some parts of the country, convenience store food = gas station food. There are chains all over the country that serve the function.

I knew a guy who had once had a wonderful meatball sandwich. He tried to find a decent one for years & was most disappointed by the one he tried at Subway, which is fast food, supposedly a step up from convenience food. I bought a couple at WaWa, & carried them for 300 miles & gave them to him. He said they were as good as the wonderful meatball sandwich that he had once had.

I said it's your right to say the food is crappy. What I believe is that you fail to understand that it's all relative.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,560,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Respond to my previous post. The notion that Wawa is anything more than the best convenience store in the country is the point. (Which it is) Is anyone claiming it’s James Beard bonafides? Is anyone saying it’s the best sandwich in America? Is anyone suggesting that a Wawa hoagie is haute cuisine? No.

******it’s a convenience store*****

Cheap and quick and adequate. And it excels, beyond comparison, at that.
I agree with all of that. I am lost at how everyone is suddenly making odd comparisons to fine dining and cuisine? There is a gigantic gap between a good sandwich and haute cuisine, Wawa is neither.
I said Wawas prepared food used to be good/ very good, today it is generally crappy, the main reason for that (in my mind) is due to major expansion, quality slides when corporations grow.

That being said AGAIN, I would still frequent Wawa if I lived in the area, I also find nothing wrong with it, I just don't swear by it. But as I said before (again) its safe, quick, and cheap, and their coffee is still good.

Man I wish people would come to Comcasts defense like they do for Wawa. Guaranteed if Wawa was not a local company I would not get a mouthful from sensitive posters. (mostly from Southbound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Good grief. In some parts of the country, convenience store food = gas station food. There are chains all over the country that serve the function.

I knew a guy who had once had a wonderful meatball sandwich. He tried to find a decent one for years & was most disappointed by the one he tried at Subway, which is fast food, supposedly a step up from convenience food. I bought a couple at WaWa, & carried them for 300 miles & gave them to him. He said they were as good as the wonderful meatball sandwich that he had once had.

I said it's your right to say the food is crappy. What I believe is that you fail to understand that it's all relative.
Well we are not in other parts of the country, we are lucky to have a great chain in our backyards, ALL I SAID was that their food quality has gone by the wayside. People in Florida won't know a difference, but people up here do. And for the THIRD time, I never spoke negatively or trashed Wawa, I would still go there if I lived in the area, but its not that great, so I don't swear by it.

And please do not make the silly comparison to fine dining.

So I fail to understand nothing, I stand by what I said.

Last edited by cpomp; 08-08-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 AM

23,167 posts, read 28,579,960 times
Quote:
I agree with all of that. I am lost at how everyone is suddenly making odd comparisons to fine dining and cuisine? There is a gigantic gap between a good sandwich and haute cuisine, Wawa is neither.
I said Wawas prepared food used to be good/ very good, today it is generally crappy, the main reason for that (in my mind) is due to major expansion, quality slides when corporations grow.

That being said AGAIN, I would still frequent Wawa if I lived in the area, I also find nothing wrong with it, I just don't swear by it. But as I said before (again) its safe, quick, and cheap, and their coffee is still good.

Man I wish people would come to Comcasts defense like they do for Wawa. Guaranteed if Wawa was not a local company I would not get a mouthful from sensitive posters. (mostly from Southbound)

Well we are not in other parts of the country, we are lucky to have a great chain in our backyards, ALL I SAID was that their food quality has gone by the wayside. People in Florida won't know a difference, but people up here do. And for the THIRD time, I never spoke negatively or trashed Wawa, I would still go there if I lived in the area, but its not that great, so I don't swear by it.

And please do not make the silly comparison to fine dining.

So I fail to understand nothing, I stand by what I said.
Yes, take a swat at me, if it makes you feel good.

This post seems to point to what I think is what got people's backs up. There's a gap between different types of food, with convenience food being below fast food & both being below a hoagie shop.

I gave an example of someone thinking that an hours old meatball sandwich, therefore a soggy one, was wonderful, in comparison to others he had gotten, in another region. If you are in the habit of not eating convenience food the quality seems less to you.

As to the OP, people will go to WaWa in the city for a lot of reasons especially price. If you have 2 parents & 2 kids, do you want to buy regular hoagies from a regular hoagie shop & spend the big bucks & end up with wasted sandwiches, or get smaller, cheaper sandwiches at WaWa, for one example.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:47 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy19102 View Post
I'm closest to Broad and Walnut, so i go there on free coffee day and when any size coffee is $1. The store is a pigsty and i never go there for food. They definitely need security guards.
It makes me cringe!

That corner should be showcase for the city and, well, Wawa has allowed it to become a crap-a-toria.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 AM

544 posts, read 462,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
They must have changed that wawa to a Dunkin Donuts on 11th and Arch

They did . I wish that one was still open because it would take most of the riff raff that stumble down to Broad and Walnut from the CJC or the family court building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia