Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
WaWa isn't national. It's an east coast chain. They've moved a few stores into North Jersey & they go down to Petersburg, VA, then show up in Florida.
They do have around 800 locations, which is huge. For example, Whole Foods has less than 500 locations throughout the US. Granted, Wawa stores are much smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
WaWa isn't national. It's an east coast chain. They've moved a few stores into North Jersey & they go down to Petersburg, VA, then show up in Florida.
Close enough.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
They do have around 800 locations, which is huge. For example, Whole Foods has less than 500 locations throughout the US. Granted, Wawa stores are much smaller.
Well, at least they're company owned, unlike 7-11, although 7-11 does have some company owned locations.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Close enough.
Try a Quick Trip aka QT. Then tell me that WaWa is crappy.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 PM

192 posts, read 160,802 times
Wawa is **by far** the best convenient store in the country. That's the point. Now, that's a bit like boasting that as a chef you're the best peanut, butter and jelly sandwich maker in the country. It's not a prestige thing, it's not meant to be. In general (especially the large suburban super pumpers), it's clean, bright, fast, and cheap. For breakfast, you can get a cup of coffee and a sizzli to go for about $4 and be out the door in less than a minute. That's the price of a rival brothers cold brew.

No one is comparing it to Eataly.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Wawa is **by far** the best convenient store in the country. That's the point. Now, that's a bit like boasting that as a chef you're the best peanut, butter and jelly sandwich maker in the country. It's not a prestige thing, it's not meant to be. In general (especially the large suburban super pumpers), it's clean, bright, fast, and cheap. For breakfast, you can get a cup of coffee and a sizzli to go for about $4 and be out the door in less than a minute. That's the price of a rival brothers cold brew.

This article is a great way to explain the allure:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...told-lengths-3

But I think the answer to my original question was mentioned in an earlier post. If I were to come along a Wawa while traveling on I-80, hungry and needing gas, I would be very very happy. If I were traveling to the beach or going to tailgate, I would be very very happy. What confuses me is that people are equally excited about it in the city, something that is not of interest to me...unless it was a storm and nothing else was open, like cpomp experienced. Otherwise, they end up dirty, crowded, and less desirable. That's JMO.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM

599 posts, read 498,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post

Somebody who actually gets what it's all about

As for all these, "I can remember when their hoagies were good, back in the day". Pleeeasee. The place is a gold mine, and there are hundreds, to thousands, of hoagies heading out the door of every one of them, every day. I don't care which one you pick, but at lunch time, standing with 20-30 other customers, and having a hoagie in your hand a few minutes after you did the touch screen order, is their specialty. It's who they are. As for all this silliness about how they aren't the really, really tasty sandwiches that they are..........stop, who are you kidding? It's a classic hoagie with decent ingredients and a quality, fresh roll. If you want to spend $5 bucks, and think you are owed a three star restaurant experience, you are in the wrong place.

Add the fresh made hoagies, and a zillion other food choices, great coffee, great soft pretzels, and giant, well run, clean facilities (at least in the burbs) and the place is, was, and will continue to be a home run. Sheetz, Royal Farms, Rutters? Nothing but wannabees. Once you lower your standards to the 7-11 level, Wawa starts to look like fine dining.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:55 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Try a Quick Trip aka QT. Then tell me that WaWa is crappy.
Where did I say Wawa was crappy???? I said most of their prepared food is crappy, which it is. Its fast and convenient and fine to eat (I used to go there before I moved, and still take Philly newbies to Wawa).

I grew up with Wawa, my whole point was that it has turned into a monster corporation, it doesn't bother me, but that is what happens when companies grow.

Regarding the experience in general, suburban Wawas are perfectly fine, but the city ones (minus a few) have a bad element to them.

I even said its the best convenient store, but I don't think its amazing... sheesh

I do agree with Karen on this one, seems like people are traitors if they do not praise everything about Wawa.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Where did I say Wawa was crappy???? I said most of their prepared food is crappy, which it is. Its fast and convenient and fine to eat (I used to go there before I moved, and still take Philly newbies to Wawa).

I grew up with Wawa, my whole point was that it has turned into a monster corporation, it doesn't bother me, but that is what happens when companies grow.

Regarding the experience in general, suburban Wawas are perfectly fine, but the city ones (minus a few) have a bad element to them.

I even said its the best convenient store, but I don't think its amazing... sheesh

I do agree with Karen on this one, seems like people are traitors if they do not praise everything about Wawa.
Yes, you said that the food is crappy & that's your right. I suggested that you try out Quick Trip. Then if you want to try calling WaWa's food crappy you've crappy to compare with it. It's not fine dining. It's convenience store food.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,552,267 times
I like Wawa. Actually, I wish they had seating because I don't do to-go and I honestly hate eating in the car. Some Wawa's have a benches outside but they are at the front of the store facing the gas pumps.

I've been to Sheetz and they don't come close to Wawa. However, I think they target a different demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia