Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:24 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

I have been invited to a one day event on a Saturday during September which will be held at one of the Philadelphia Airport hotels (which does have a free shuttle service from airport terminals) and the registration is between 8-9 AM the same morning and lasts to approx. 4-4:30 PM.

I have been trying to figure the most affordable way to attend coming from NYC by public transportation. I was looking at the NJ Transit/SEPTA option meaning take a NJ Transit train from Manhattan's Penn Station (which I would get to by subway from another part of the city) and change at Trenton to SEPTA to the Philadelphia 30th Street Station and from there then the SEPTA airport line (which would connect me to the hotel's free airport shuttle). Another option I was looking at taking a bus from Manhattan (again I would need to take a local subway to do this) to Philadelphia (it seems that Megabus and Bolt have stops not far from the the Philadelphia 30th Street Station) and from there connecting to the SEPTA airport line. I would be planning to return to NYC in a similar fashion Saturday late afternoon/early evening.

Also being that the event starts so early in the morning, I assume that I would have to spend Friday night in the Philadelphia area. The hotel hosting the event doesn't have any special rates (which I believe would be approx. $150 for one night).

So I was wondering if any locals have suggestions about the best affordable transportation options available between NYC & Philadelphia (meaning what do you think of the ones I mentioned under these circumstances as I think Amtrak is pricy not to mention commercial flights!) and what would be the best option for a Friday night stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 06:32 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Since your event is so early in the morning I would do the BOLT bus friday late afternoon and then stay at teh Motel 6 in Essington which is really close to the airport and relatively inexpensive. ~90 bucks a night. that's about as cheap as I think you're going to get. I'd probably spring for the courtyard marriott myself.

I would call and see if they have shuttles to the airport or if you can uber over. from that motel an uber shouldn't cost you more than 8 bucks.

I hate being rushed so I would definitely go the night before.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:34 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Since your event is so early in the morning I would do the BOLT bus friday late afternoon and then stay at teh Motel 6 in Essington which is really close to the airport and relatively inexpensive. ~90 bucks a night. that's about as cheap as I think you're going to get. I'd probably spring for the courtyard marriott myself.

I would call and see if they have shuttles to the airport or if you can uber over. from that motel an uber shouldn't cost you more than 8 bucks.

I hate being rushed so I would definitely go the night before.
BOLT doesn't go near the airport though. Were you thinking take SEPTA to the airport from 30th St station? After she's spent money on Ubers etc, might not be all that much more to just stay at a hotel at the airport.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:48 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
How about an Airbnb near the airport?

Old 08-04-2018, 12:19 PM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
Either way is doable. MEGABUS AND BOLT they both let you off at 30th St...and the train station is across the street to get the Airport Regional Rail Line. Just down to what you prefer to take.

I will say if you take the train make sure when choosing your ticket you get the "Via Center City Philadelphia" ticket which allows you to transfer from the Trenton Line to the Airport Line.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Get into 30th street station from NYC via megabus. That's probably you cheapest traveling solution. As far as where to stay.? Find somewhere near airport to stay or center city for Friday night. It will be about $150 to stay overnight in or near Philadelphia for Friday night if you are coming in a day in advanced (doesn't seem like you have an option given that even registration is 8-9 AM).

Old 08-05-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
BOLT doesn't go near the airport though. Were you thinking take SEPTA to the airport from 30th St station? After she's spent money on Ubers etc, might not be all that much more to just stay at a hotel at the airport.
I was thinking about SEPTA from the 30th Street Station to the airport and perhaps a free airport shuttle to the hotel where the event is being held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
Either way is doable. MEGABUS AND BOLT they both let you off at 30th St...and the train station is across the street to get the Airport Regional Rail Line. Just down to what you prefer to take.

I will say if you take the train make sure when choosing your ticket you get the "Via Center City Philadelphia" ticket which allows you to transfer from the Trenton Line to the Airport Line.
Good tip as I wondering about that! So that would make just one ticket all the way via the 30th Street Station including a transfer to the airport line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Get into 30th street station from NYC via megabus. That's probably you cheapest traveling solution. As far as where to stay.? Find somewhere near airport to stay or center city for Friday night. It will be about $150 to stay overnight in or near Philadelphia for Friday night if you are coming in a day in advanced (doesn't seem like you have an option given that even registration is 8-9 AM).
So it might advisable to just try to stay at the airport hotel where the event is happening if possible. If not, I guess Uber is a possibility in the morning from wherever I might stay.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:20 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I was thinking about SEPTA from the 30th Street Station to the airport and perhaps a free airport shuttle to the hotel where the event is being held.

Good tip as I wondering about that! So that would make just one ticket all the way via the 30th Street Station including a transfer to the airport line.

So it might advisable to just try to stay at the airport hotel where the event is happening if possible. If not, I guess Uber is a possibility in the morning from wherever I might stay.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

The question is do you care about doing anything in Philadelphia Friday night? If you are just coming to the even at hotel, just travel by Megabus and stay at hotel at or near event.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
I would take Boltbus or Megabus. It's easier than worrying about connection times in Trenton. Then Regional Rail to the Airport.

You can take the 7 train from Times Square to Hudson Yards for Boltbus or Megabus.

If possible, I suggest coming earlier on Friday and spending the day in Center City. If you do that, take Megabus and get off at the first stop st 6th and Market. That is in the center of our historic area. You can take the www.phillyphlash.com bus which is a HOHO for $5. Stop at the Reading Terminal Market around 4:00 for something to eat, and from there, cross the street to Jefferson Station and take Regional Rail to the airport and check in at your hotel. I would suggest staying in Center City overnight, but your conference starts early.

Last edited by newmarlig; 08-05-2018 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
The question is do you care about doing anything in Philadelphia Friday night? If you are just coming to the even at hotel, just travel by Megabus and stay at hotel at or near event.
My dad's elderly cousin and her husband who live in Newark, DE have offered to drive to the city (or rather meet me at an airport hotel assuming that is where I will stay) to have dinner with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I would take Boltbus or Megabus. It's easier than worrying about connection times in Trenton. Then Regional Rail to the Airport.

You can take the 7 train from Times Square to Hudson Yards for Boltbus or Megabus.

If possible, I suggest coming earlier on Friday and spending the day in Center City. If you do that, take Megabus and get off at the first stop st 6th and Market. That is in the center of our historic area. You can take the www.phillyphlash.com bus which is a HOHO for $5. Stop at the Reading Terminal Market around 4:00 for something to eat, and from there, cross the street to Jefferson Station and take Regional Rail to the airport and check in at your hotel. I would suggest staying in Center City overnight, but your conference starts early.
I have seen the bus stops around the Hudson Yards station of the 7 train when visiting the Highline. My only question is where one can buy a ticket if one doesn't book in advance? I don't have access to a printer so it makes printing out paper tickets which are required on Peter Pan/Greyhound buses an issue that I able to deal with by printing them out at the Port Authority Bus Station when I have taken the bus in the past to Connecticut (and have purchased tickets in advance).

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually I have already been to the historic district area on two prior short visits (which each was less than a full day and they were both a long time ago together with different people). I remember seeing the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc. One of the visits I remember being taken to an indoor market which was formerly a factory building. Would that be the Reading Terminal Market mentioned above?

On second thought I might be curious to see the campus of the former Women's Medical College which is now part of Drexel University (Queens Lane Campus?). A deceased relative of mine attended (& graduated) in the late 1950s/early 1960s so that might be a place of interest if one can get there easily by public transportation (and assuming I have the time which I might not depending on my schedule on Friday).

Last edited by Chava61; 08-06-2018 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia