Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Not sure most of you are aware that our board friend, Southbound, lives in Charlotte, NC.

Right now it looks like there may be Hurricane Harvey level flooding there. Sigh.....

I also have a great-nephew who lives there. He's probably left for his parents who are in Birmingham, Al. At least I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
I may have to actually go down there shortly after the storm because of some buildings we are developing in that region.

Obviously my hope is that the storm won't be too bad.

I also have this feeling that the storm my fizzle out a bit causing less damage than anticipated. Whenever the media makes a huge deal about storms using SAT words like catastrophic, devastating, etc. they usually pale in the end.

Storms like Harvey were a lot quieter in the media before impact, and look what happened.... Usually seems to be the opposite.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not sure most of you are aware that our board friend, Southbound, lives in Charlotte, NC.

Right now it looks like there may be Hurricane Harvey level flooding there. Sigh.....

I also have a great-nephew who lives there. He's probably left for his parents who are in Birmingham, Al. At least I hope so.
I'm near Charlotte, but not in the city.

There's a Florence thread on the NC board. People are comparing Florence to Floyd, which did have an unpleasant effect ln the Philadelphia area. We'll see what happens with this one. The Bermuda High has been steering Florence to the south. If it breaks up, all bets are off.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I may have to actually go down there shortly after the storm because of some buildings we are developing in that region.

Obviously my hope is that the storm won't be too bad.

I also have this feeling that the storm my fizzle out a bit causing less damage than anticipated. Whenever the media makes a huge deal about storms using SAT words like catastrophic, devastating, etc. they usually pale in the end.

Storms like Harvey were a lot quieter in the media before impact, and look what happened.... Usually seems to be the opposite.
Europeans are tracking it going south-ish eventually into GA. So maybe it won't be as bad in NC further inland.

I have to go Charlotte in a couple of months for my great-nephew's wedding. We are staying in downtown Charlotte.

They really do not know until it moves and hits as you know. There's nothing wrong with being overly cautious, imo, especially since there are pretty large population centers on the coast like Wilmington, NC.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm near Charlotte, but not in the city.

There's a Florence thread on the NC board. People are comparing Florence to Floyd, which did have an unpleasant effect ln the Philadelphia area. We'll see what happens with this one. The Bermuda High has been steering Florence to the south. If it breaks up, all bets are off.
Right now local forecasters are saying we are dodging a bullet and won't be impacted. But, yes, you are correct. If the high breaks up.....

Old 09-12-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Right now local forecasters are saying we are dodging a bullet and won't be impacted. But, yes, you are correct. If the high breaks up.....
Younger people probably don't remember that a piece of Floyd broke off after dumping on eastern NC & came up Delaware Bay. It was not fun.

Even with the Bermuda High in place, some models have projected that Florence could get into Chesapeake Bay. The storm is bigger than the state of NC. Right now state of emergency has been called for the Carolinas, Virginia, & Maryland.

Projected routes after landfall are all over the place.

Inland population centers in NC alone could effect at least 6 million people, probably more. All this when we find out that millions was pulled from FEEMA by a man who has called this storm really big & really wet.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Younger people probably don't remember that a piece of Floyd broke off after dumping on eastern NC & came up Delaware Bay. It was not fun.

Even with the Bermuda High in place, some models have projected that Florence could get into Chesapeake Bay. The storm is bigger than the state of NC. Right now state of emergency has been called for the Carolinas, Virginia, & Maryland.

Projected routes after landfall are all over the place.

Inland population centers in NC alone could effect at least 6 million people, probably more. All this when we find out that millions was pulled from FEEMA by a man who has called this storm really big & really wet.
Right now it's a category 2 but it will dump a ton of rain. Feet of rain.

Yeah, well, Trump thinks they did a good job in Puerto Rico while we know now that nearly 3000 people died. Way more than Katrina.

The ground is already saturated here so we do not need any of Florence!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Right now it's a category 2 but it will dump a ton of rain. Feet of rain.

Yeah, well, Trump thinks they did a good job in Puerto Rico while we know now that nearly 3000 people died. Way more than Katrina.

The ground is already saturated here so we do not need any of Florence!
Rain will certainly be the issue over wind for this one, especially because of the saturated summer the Eastern region has already had.

But these headlines are getting on my nerves.... "storm of a lifetime" "Horrific, devastating Florence"

A) How can you call this the storm of a lifetime when we have no idea what is coming along next, and we have had some pretty horrible storms in the past few years

B) How can you describe a storm with such intense words when it hasn't hit yet?

Sorry, the media infuriates me across the board, and weather is an example of that.

And I know, its good to warn people, etc. but the drama act is a too much.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Rain will certainly be the issue over wind for this one, especially because of the saturated summer the Eastern region has already had.

But these headlines are getting on my nerves.... "storm of a lifetime" "Horrific, devastating Florence"

A) How can you call this the storm of a lifetime when we have no idea what is coming along next, and we have had some pretty horrible storms in the past few years

B) How can you describe a storm with such intense words when it hasn't hit yet?

Sorry, the media infuriates me across the board, and weather is an example of that.

And I know, its good to warn people, etc. but the drama act is a too much.
Have you seen the satellite pictures? Outer bands are nearly to Philadelphia already. The Bermuda High kept this one from being much closer, but there will be effects in the Philadelphia area. No one, & I mean no one in the area that will get the effects of this storm needs one drop of rain. Some places will get several feet of rain. Add in winds, & trees are going to come crashing down on the houses & cars of people. People will die.

The hyperbole is meant to scare the bejesus out of people who live on barrier islands who don't want to leave their homes. Some of those homes will he swept away by the surge. They may have the owner inside.

Maybe you should avoid the news until about next Wednesday.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Have you seen the satellite pictures? Outer bands are nearly to Philadelphia already. The Bermuda High kept this one from being much closer, but there will be effects in the Philadelphia area. No one, & I mean no one in the area that will get the effects of this storm needs one drop of rain. Some places will get several feet of rain. Add in winds, & trees are going to come crashing down on the houses & cars of people. People will die.

The hyperbole is meant to scare the bejesus out of people who live on barrier islands who don't want to leave their homes. Some of those homes will he swept away by the surge. They may have the owner inside.

Maybe you should avoid the news until about next Wednesday.
Unfortunately I have no choice, because I will be down there on Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia