U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 PM

10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
I enjoy visiting Old City but hated living there.

I found it to be very dirty, especially the days when all the bars and restaurant have their trash out on the street and it often spills over and never gets picked up. It reminds me a lot of the East Village in NY.

And it can also feel a little overwhelming when tourists flock to the area. I just wanted to go for a nice quiet walk a lot of the time but then you need to navigate your way through tour groups and people stopping every 10 feet to take photos.

We currently live in Society Hill and it's super clean and very quiet. A little too quiet for me sometimes but a lot more relaxing then Old City.
The bulk of Old City, imo, does not include the area you are referring to. I mean the area north of Market up to Vine St, Front to 5th. Very few bars there.

Society Hill was created out of, what was, a pretty run down area. A first wave of gentrification before the word existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 04:52 PM

3,127 posts, read 1,618,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
I enjoy visiting Old City but hated living there.

I found it to be very dirty, especially the days when all the bars and restaurant have their trash out on the street and it often spills over and never gets picked up. It reminds me a lot of the East Village in NY.

We currently live in Society Hill and it's super clean and very quiet. A little too quiet for me sometimes but a lot more relaxing then Old City.
lol, I think that's unfortunately a problem where ever you are. I live in the Spring Garden area and Mondays are the worst. I cannot understand why folks put their trash out two days early and they refuse to buy trash bags instead use the bags from whole foods as garbage bags.

anyway, I love old city and wouldn't mind living there, my problem is I have a two car garage now and that's hard to give up.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

It's been a couple of days since we got back and I already miss Old City.

My wife wants to stay close to family (we live in Florida), so moving is probably a long shot.

Still, if moving ever becomes a real possibility, Old City will find itself atop my list.

I never thought I could feel so at home somewhere outside my city like I did in Philly.

But I'm not sure I would enjoy living there once the novelty of it all wears off. As a previous poster noted, there are things that would definitely take some getting used to, like the area's palpable touristy feel.

Without a doubt, we plan on visiting/staying in Old City again in a few years. It's a shame more people don't know about or visit this historic gem.
I'm from Philadelphia and now live full-time in Florida. I love my hometown and am so glad you feel the same way about it! It's a wonderful place and the only reason I'm here is a financial one. I used to work at 5th and Walnut so I know how beautiful that area is. My only caution would be, visit again in winter before making such a drastic move. Obviously it's colder but it can look/feel very different when the skies are gray and the trees are bare.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 AM

5,348 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I think that's unfortunately a problem where ever you are. I live in the Spring Garden area and Mondays are the worst. I cannot understand why folks put their trash out two days early and they refuse to buy trash bags instead use the bags from whole foods as garbage bags.

anyway, I love old city and wouldn't mind living there, my problem is I have a two car garage now and that's hard to give up.
Never seen this anywhere until I moved to Philly. I guess it's to save money, but very strange.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm from Philadelphia and now live full-time in Florida. I love my hometown and am so glad you feel the same way about it! It's a wonderful place and the only reason I'm here is a financial one. I used to work at 5th and Walnut so I know how beautiful that area is. My only caution would be, visit again in winter before making such a drastic move. Obviously it's colder but it can look/feel very different when the skies are gray and the trees are bare.
Believe it or not we went through about two weeks of gray skies brought on by rain/storm potential every day.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Never seen this anywhere until I moved to Philly. I guess it's to save money, but very strange.
There are a lot of "don't care" renters and "don't care/lazy" college students in Spring Garden who can't seem to buy proper trash bags. At least where I am they don't put trash out until the night before pickup.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:54 AM

3,046 posts, read 1,051,342 times
My beef is when people put garbage ON TOP of the dumpster because they're too lazy to open the lid and everyone else assumes it's there because the dumpster is full and so the rest of the garbage ends up on the ground instead of inside the empty dumpster. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or