U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:53 PM

225 posts, read 327,639 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating back to Pa. from Texas following the recent death of my husband. I will be living in Phila with family for about a year before moving to Montgomery Co and establishing permanent residency there.

I am retired and have recently sold my home in Tx. so do not have a permanent address either in Tx. or Pa. I plan to have a PO box in Montco to receive any mail or packages there.

The question is one re. taxes. For the upcoming tax year 2019 do I file in Pa. or Tx? Since I have not established residency in Phila and will be living with family am I subject to any taxes there?

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 AM

1,335 posts, read 746,153 times
Just so you are aware. Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,968,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
I will be relocating back to Pa. from Texas following the recent death of my husband. I will be living in Phila with family for about a year before moving to Montgomery Co and establishing permanent residency there.

I am retired and have recently sold my home in Tx. so do not have a permanent address either in Tx. or Pa. I plan to have a PO box in Montco to receive any mail or packages there.

The question is one re. taxes. For the upcoming tax year 2019 do I file in Pa. or Tx? Since I have not established residency in Phila and will be living with family am I subject to any taxes there?

Any information would be appreciated.
I believe it has to do with the number of days you physically spend in each state, not whether you have purchased or rented a home in your name. It sounds like you will be a resident of Philadelphia in 2019, and would therefore file tax returns with the city of Philadelphia and the State of PA. But this forum probably isn't the best place to get tax advice.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM

3,972 posts, read 3,449,344 times
Do you mean USA income tax or state income tax? If this is about state income tax filings, if you have permanently left the state of Texas and moved physically to PA, then you would file PA state income tax forms. You wouldn't need to file the Philadelphia wage tax forms if you had no earned income in Philadelphia.

PA does not tax social security income or income from an IRA or 401(k). It also exempts qualified pension income if you are age 60 or older.

Once you apply for a PA driver's license, the state will recognize you as a resident. Obtaining a PA driver's license for someone who cannot prove a physical address by presenting a utility bill, for instance, is problematic. See link.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ub%20195us.pdf

When is your Texas driver's license up for renewal? If the P.O. is forwarding your mail, you might try renewing your TX license using your old TX address.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:08 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,274,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Do you mean USA income tax or state income tax? If this is about state income tax filings, if you have permanently left the state of Texas and moved physically to PA, then you would file PA state income tax forms. You wouldn't need to file the Philadelphia wage tax forms if you had no earned income in Philadelphia.

PA does not tax social security income or income from an IRA or 401(k). It also exempts qualified pension income if you are age 60 or older.

Once you apply for a PA driver's license, the state will recognize you as a resident. Obtaining a PA driver's license for someone who cannot prove a physical address by presenting a utility bill, for instance, is problematic. See link.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ub%20195us.pdf

When is your Texas driver's license up for renewal? If the P.O. is forwarding your mail, you might try renewing your TX license using your old TX address.
Just as a word of caution -- I had a real problem when I leased a car in PA right before moving to FL. PA gave me the pink slip but I couldn't transfer registration to FL without the permanent registration. But PA DMV won't forward that document to a forwarding address outside of PA. I eventually got it but what a mess.

I'm only bringing this up because TX might not forward a license renewal out-of-state either.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:29 PM

Thank-you to all who replied to my question.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Just so you are aware. Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income.

That is true for most of the state. Philadelphia being an exception. There is a school income tax on retirement earnings from investments. It can get pretty significant. When you are on a fixed income every dollar counts so in my opinion one should take that into consideration before considering a move as a retiree to Philly.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:46 AM

My Tx license is good until 2023 so I'm good there. Re. taxes. Philly is a whole another kettle of fish. Pa. is fine which is why I plan to establish residency outside of Philly.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:38 AM

3,972 posts, read 3,449,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
That is true for most of the state. Philadelphia being an exception. There is a school income tax on retirement earnings from investments. It can get pretty significant. When you are on a fixed income every dollar counts so in my opinion one should take that into consideration before considering a move as a retiree to Philly.
The Philadelphia wage tax only applies to income received from an employer in return for services. They can't tax interest, dividends, capital gains, pensions, estate or trust income, business income, lottery and gambling income, income from partnerships, etc. The Commonwealth of PA takes their cut of those sources of income.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:02 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,054,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The Philadelphia wage tax only applies to income received from an employer in return for services. They can't tax interest, dividends, capital gains, pensions, estate or trust income, business income, lottery and gambling income, income from partnerships, etc. The Commonwealth of PA takes their cut of those sources of income.
The school tax is separate from the wage tax. Most Philadelphians pay it as part of their annual property tax bill. (Renters, of course, would pay a piece of it in their monthly rent payments.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia