Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be participating in a music camp in North Wales, but they don't have any more housing. This means I'll need to take her each morning and pick her up each evening, from my mother's house in overbrook.

How bad of a commute am I looking at?

Also, is there any place nice in North Wales I can hang out all day, perhaps do my remote work, take phone calls, etc?

I grew up in Philly, but have no idea about getting to North Wales.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 05:21 PM

82 posts, read 68,857 times
I am not too familiar with North Wales but over in Lansdale there are a few cafes that have wifi. Driving would be a pain during either rush hour since it would include City Line and 76. Also the train from Overbrook is the Paoli/Thorndale Line which is the old R5 which connected to Lansdale Doylestown so if the camp is within walking distance of the North Wales train station then taking the train may be the best bet since it should be a one seat ride.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
I am not too familiar with North Wales but over in Lansdale there are a few cafes that have wifi. Driving would be a pain during either rush hour since it would include City Line and 76. Also the train from Overbrook is the Paoli/Thorndale Line which is the old R5 which connected to Lansdale Doylestown so if the camp is within walking distance of the North Wales train station then taking the train may be the best bet since it should be a one seat ride.
I investigated the train, its a 90 minute ride, and there is only one option in the morning. Looks like I'm driving.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:49 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
If you driving is not the best for you time wise, you could order a Lyft for your daughter. The costs will add up a lot, but depending on your situation, if you have the means and if that's worthwhile, that is another option.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:24 PM

12 posts, read 10,478 times
Horsham Township Library is about 5-10 miles away. You can work there

Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickinthewall View Post
Horsham Township Library is about 5-10 miles away. You can work there
You could absolutely work in the library, even check out stuff if you have your home library card, but you won't be able to use your cell phone for calls. There's a Starbucks...https://www.yelp.com/biz/starbucks-n...sq=coffee+shop

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Google Maps is claiming drive time is about 55 minutes, door to door. I can live with that.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
If you driving is not the best for you time wise, you could order a Lyft for your daughter.
Lyft policy is not to accept rides for children, those under 18.
Personally I'd never put my child is a car with people I don't know. Are you kidding? In this day and age?

I know Uber/Lyft drivers submit ID's, and have somewhat of a background check (such as that might be). But put my child in a car with one -- hell no. You have no idea who that driver is.

I know people do it. I'm just saying, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:15 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Personally I'd never put my child is a car with people I don't know. Are you kidding? In this day and age?

I know Uber/Lyft drivers submit ID's, and have somewhat of a background check (such as that might be). But put my child in a car with one -- hell no. You have no idea who that driver is.

Right, and the Lyft/Uber driver has no idea if the rider is under 18 for certain. It is the responsibility of the Lyft/Uber requester to make that decision. Yes, it definitely happens. Good point though.

Usually, it happens for short rides in the middle of the night, and usually it occurs in very run down areas. On occasion, a high school student will alone for a fast food run in any type of area. Happens for quite a few sports games, but those are usually during the day too.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:23 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
I've never thought of it this way but I know of friends in the UK who's high school kids use Uber when they can't take public transport to their extra curricular events like sports. I guess for them it's the same as using public transport because students ride the regular buses to and from school. Some kids use mini cabs where you call the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia