U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:02 AM

5,356 posts, read 5,574,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It may not be your cup of tea either, but you should check out Chestnut Hill sometime. It's what Manayunk wants to be when it grows up.

But I do understand: from a city-center perspective, visting Chestnut Hill is sort of like visiting Ardmore, or Media, or Collingswood. One would have fun if they did, but "why should I travel when I'm already here?"
I appreciate places with different character. Even when I lived in Passyunk Square, I enjoyed traveling to Chestnut Hill, Doylestown, and other places in the metro. The cool thing is that each place has its own character and history. I never felt like "I have everything I need, so why travel?". But I know everyone feels differently.

I think what is a bit strange is that Center City is pretty small in reality, despite packing a lot in a small area. I always feel strange living in 2 sq miles without venturing to something different. I remember when I had about 10 weeks in a row where I would travel on regional rail (or Patco) to a different part of the city on a Saturday to explore. I still do to some extent, but less so for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's kinda weird...in old city, everyone refers to Center City as anything from about broad Street to the schuylkill. Like "oh we went into Center City and met some friends at Parc."

Anyone else?
It's not only weird, it's wrong. Lol.

Center City is all of what Philadelphia(city) was originally in 1682. River to river, Vine to South.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:22 PM

3,059 posts, read 1,055,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's not only weird, it's wrong. Lol.

Center City is all of what Philadelphia(city) was originally in 1682. River to river, Vine to South.
Vine to South? Not Washington?

Old 09-10-2018, 02:12 PM

883 posts, read 530,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

While I've heard varied streets as comprising the northern end of Center City (Vine versus Spring Garden), I've never heard of Washington being the southern border. Always South Street. I can't even imagine that Washington would be the border of "greater Center City" because it's, in my opinion, deep in the heart of South Philly.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM

3,059 posts, read 1,055,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
While I've heard varied streets as comprising the northern end of Center City (Vine versus Spring Garden), I've never heard of Washington being the southern border. Always South Street. I can't even imagine that Washington would be the border of "greater Center City" because it's, in my opinion, deep in the heart of South Philly.
ok

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM

1,371 posts, read 782,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Greater Center City was/is a marketing ploy and probably egged on by the real estate industry to drive home prices. I've lived in Passyunk Square and Point Breeze (both now part of "Greater CC"), and neither of those are anything like Center City, ESPECIALLY Point Breeze. If you live on the south side of South Street or below, you live in South Philly. If you live on the north side of Spring Garden or above, you live in North Philly (or Vine Street for others). Center City certainly does not go all the way down to Tasker and all the way up to Girard.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:06 PM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
No, not Washington Ave.

Center City was Philadelphia prior to 1854. The Consolidation Act of 1854 combined the then city and Phila. county to create Philadelphia as it exists today with its current borders.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:07 AM

17 posts, read 9,783 times
I occasionally leave the northeast/nearby suburbs. ranked in order of which I visit most
Far Northeast: I live there
Suburbs: Driving, Random Errands, visiting family
Lower Northeast: Driving, visiting family, that one bakery on Castor and Rhawn, Random errands
North: Driving, H Mart (don't remember if this is in philly but if it is then no explaining needed)
West: Driving, Visiting family, University City (Trips here are rare)
Center City: Only special occasions. I have fond memories of my dad driving me and my sis with him to my mom's work and just waiting for her.
South: went to the stadiums during a school trip. Ended up running up Broad and getting yelled at. Besides that I just drive through here via 95
Southwest: Driving, Airport, I should visit Tinicum Marsh when the weather is nicer.
River Wards: Driving
Northwest: Besides recent trips to Manayunk and East Falls, I never go here. Very pretty

Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 AM

17 posts, read 9,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I grew up very isolated and not being able to socialize well. Even when I've gotten better, I haven't cliqued well. Ironically, this has made me less interested in going to "specific areas" per se. I try to go to "any" area as long as I have a purpose. If there is a convention somewhere, a concert indie or not, some nerdy type event, a casual hike with a group I'm interested in, an escape room, some interesting food dive or 'dive', some chess gathering, I might be there.

I don't like people who purposely keep themselves insulated in the city or insulated outside the city only even when they do have the money, time, and energy. I think it's good to be open to exposing yourself to as many different things out there as possible.

Doing ride sharing has made me even more familiar with the places around as well.
This post right here pretty much sums it all up for me

Old 09-11-2018, 02:03 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,054,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanis149 View Post
I occasionally leave the northeast/nearby suburbs. ranked in order of which I visit most
Far Northeast: I live there
Suburbs: Driving, Random Errands, visiting family
Lower Northeast: Driving, visiting family, that one bakery on Castor and Rhawn, Random errands
North: Driving, H Mart (don't remember if this is in philly but if it is then no explaining needed)
West: Driving, Visiting family, University City (Trips here are rare)
Center City: Only special occasions. I have fond memories of my dad driving me and my sis with him to my mom's work and just waiting for her.
South: went to the stadiums during a school trip. Ended up running up Broad and getting yelled at. Besides that I just drive through here via 95
Southwest: Driving, Airport, I should visit Tinicum Marsh when the weather is nicer.
River Wards: Driving
Northwest: Besides recent trips to Manayunk and East Falls, I never go here. Very pretty
The nearest H Mart to you is on the Cheltenham Township side of Cheltenham Avenue, at Broad Street. You're across the street from North Philly (West Oak Lane section).

Rhawn Street lies north of Cottman Avenue, which would place it in the Central Northeast (a not commonly used term) or the lower Far Northeast, depending on who you ask. The Lower Northeast lies south of Cottman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or