Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM

19 posts, read 18,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The nearest H Mart to you is on the Cheltenham Township side of Cheltenham Avenue, at Broad Street. You're across the street from North Philly (West Oak Lane section).

Rhawn Street lies north of Cottman Avenue, which would place it in the Central Northeast (a not commonly used term) or the lower Far Northeast, depending on who you ask. The Lower Northeast lies south of Cottman.
Honestly, I've always thought the two parts of the northeast were separated by the Pennypack creek. I think this because the lower northeast and the central northeast are mostly the same.

Also thanks for catching my H mart mistake. normally, I wouldn't have made that mistake if I had some sleep before posting. This is because I memorized a few nearby road grids. However, my memory of stuff like where shops are is terrible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 09:57 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Does anyone from Philly actually say Center City?

Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 AM

39 posts, read 36,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
All of us do? confused about this question.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:06 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
^^ Actually I almost posted about this very issue the other day. With all the talk of "Center City" -- and yes I know it's a named area in the city. But.....

....NONE of my Philly born and raised family and friends say "Center City."

We all say "downtown" ((or in town) -- as in:
-- When is the last time you went downtown?
-- I've haven't been downtown in years.
-- Did Bob go downtown? He said he was going to Reading Terminal. Did he go?"
-- I went downtown to the Flower Show. -- We'd never say "we went to Center City for the Flower Show."
-- Where did Joanne go? Oh she went downtown to pay a ticket.
-- I hate going in town, there's no parking."
-- Where is the closest Apple Store to you? Downtown at 15th and Walnut.

Obviously we all know downtown is Center City. And that Center City IS downtown. But we don't say "Center City." Even when I lived in South Philly, we still said "in town." NEVER uptown.

When giving directions to visitors, of course I'd say, follow signs for "Center City' because I know that's what Schuylkill and traffic signs say. But in my day-to-day conversation with locals I don't say "Center City."

Old 09-14-2018, 02:45 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Actually I almost posted about this very issue the other day. With all the talk of "Center City" -- and yes I know it's a named area in the city. But.....

-- I went downtown to the Flower Show. -- We'd never say "we went to Center City for the Flower Show."

Obviously we all know downtown is Center City. And that Center City IS downtown. But we don't say "Center City." Even when I lived in South Philly, we still said "in town." NEVER uptown.

When giving directions to visitors, of course I'd say, follow signs for "Center City' because I know that's what Schuylkill and traffic signs say. But in my day-to-day conversation with locals I don't say "Center City."
Interesting. Suburban people in the area tend to say Center City or just the city when talking about doing something in Philadelphia.

I think there are different nomenclatures for every major city, but CC is certainly the most recognized term for "downtown" Philadelphia.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:

....NONE of my Philly born and raised family and friends say "Center City."[...]

Actually, the control destination on PennDOT highway guide signs is "Central Philadelphia."

I don't say "Center City" either in everyday conversation; I usually say I'm "in town" or "going into town." (No "down" about it at all.)

Old 09-14-2018, 03:31 PM

39 posts, read 36,827 times
Quote:

Interesting and makes me think more about when I say Center City vs. Downtown.
I live in Center City and I definitely hear and use them both.

I looked through some text messages to see when I saw both

"I need to meet with him in Center City briefly"
"Some friends said they wanted to come to Center City to go out"
"We may hang out in Center City for a bit"

"I'd love to pop downtown and hang out"
"I finished work so I am heading downtown"
"I'm downtown with him and his girlfriend"

Old 09-14-2018, 04:18 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
I use to work with a very old woman who grew up right off Girard and she said that they called going to Center City, 'going into town'. Her childhood in the 50s' is somewhat hard to imagine today.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:04 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
actually, the control destination on penndot highway guide signs is "central philadelphia."
ok.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

I have run into quite a few people from South Philly that refer to going "uptown".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia