U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:26 PM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Does anyone from Philly actually say Center City?
Yes. We don't call it "downtown".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Actually I almost posted about this very issue the other day. With all the talk of "Center City" -- and yes I know it's a named area in the city. But.....

....NONE of my Philly born and raised family and friends say "Center City."

We all say "downtown" ((or in town) -- as in:
-- When is the last time you went downtown?
-- I've haven't been downtown in years.
-- Did Bob go downtown? He said he was going to Reading Terminal. Did he go?"
-- I went downtown to the Flower Show. -- We'd never say "we went to Center City for the Flower Show."
-- Where did Joanne go? Oh she went downtown to pay a ticket.
-- I hate going in town, there's no parking."
-- Where is the closest Apple Store to you? Downtown at 15th and Walnut.

Obviously we all know downtown is Center City. And that Center City IS downtown. But we don't say "Center City." Even when I lived in South Philly, we still said "in town." NEVER uptown.

When giving directions to visitors, of course I'd say, follow signs for "Center City' because I know that's what Schuylkill and traffic signs say. But in my day-to-day conversation with locals I don't say "Center City."

" Center City" either came from the directional signs on the Schuylkill Exp originally or it was coined by Walter Annenberg 's publications which is also where the name "Delaware Valley." came from. In any case the name "Center City" has been around for a long time now.

But, yes, back in the 50s/60s, when I was growing up, we did call it "going into town" so I do know what you mean.

Imo, nowadays it may depend on how old a person is in relationship to their Philadelphia experiences or where they live today.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Interesting. Suburban people in the area tend to say Center City or just the city when talking about doing something in Philadelphia.

I think there are different nomenclatures for every major city, but CC is certainly the most recognized term for "downtown" Philadelphia.
I think it's generational tbh. Center City was not a common name for it until maybe the 80s.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,054,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
" Center City" either came from the directional signs on the Schuylkill Exp originally or it was coined by Walter Annenberg 's publications which is also where the name "Delaware Valley." came from. In any case the name "Center City" has been around for a long time now.
I once ran across an old guide sign in a Market-Frankford Line station that read

"30th St. P.R.R. Station - Center of City - Ferries to Camden"

The mention of the ferries would have put this sign in a very short time window, from the opening of 30th Street Station in 1933 to the shutdown of the last ferries in 1937, after the Bridge Line subway opened across the Ben Franklin Bridge the year before.

That, as far as I can tell, is the earliest mention of "Center City" or some variant thereof.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,336,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
....NONE of my Philly born and raised family and friends say "Center City."

We all say "downtown" ((or in town) -- as in:
-- When is the last time you went downtown?
-- I've haven't been downtown in years.
-- Did Bob go downtown? He said he was going to Reading Terminal. Did he go?"
-- I went downtown to the Flower Show. -- We'd never say "we went to Center City for the Flower Show."
-- Where did Joanne go? Oh she went downtown to pay a ticket.
-- I hate going in town, there's no parking."
-- Where is the closest Apple Store to you? Downtown at 15th and Walnut.
This is my experience also.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:08 PM

1,144 posts, read 811,752 times
I live in Cedar Park, which is on the western edge of the University City district of West Philly. On the weekends, I spend VERY little time in my neighborhood. I love it, but this city has such a diverse array of neighborhoods to explore that I'm usually in a different section of the city each weekend. This is aided by the fact that I receive commuter benefits, so I always have a monthly pass uploaded to my SEPTA Key.

I'm in different neighborhoods for different reasons, but I'll break it down by section of the city since I go everywhere:

West Philly: I live here. I also take strolls along Baltimore Avenue, walk around to enjoy the architecture, go to Clark Park, and so much more.

Center City: It is the geographical heart of the city. I'm mostly in CC for events, dining out, shopping, and taking women out on dates.

North Philly: I'm a Temple/Fox alum (GO OWLS!!!), so I like to go back and visit campus often. In fact, I still go to Maxi's and The Horse on occasion. North Philly also has some of the best architecture, most interesting urban decay, and best food in the city, among other things. Brewerytown is also among my favorite neighborhoods in the city. Finally, East Fairmount Park is beautiful and underrated.

South Philly: For all those times I want to feel like I'm in Europe. I also stop here to head to one of my favorite places in the city, Bok Bar.

The River Wards: Northern Liberties and Fishtown are two of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. I come here to grab craft beers, go to La Colombe, take the 15 trolley, and go to my gym. Also, Fishtown is the neighborhood that I want to move to next, and possibly where I'd like to buy a house in the future. I like to imagine what it would be like to live there with a wife and kids.

Northeast Philly: I'm rarely in this section of the city. If I'm up there, it's for exploration purposes. There are still a few places in the Northeast that I haven't had a chance to explore yet. I've found some true gems up there, such as the Pennypack Creek Trail.

Northwest Philly: If it's not my favorite section of the city, it's definitely in the top three. This section of the city has my heart, as it is gorgeous, historic, transit-accessible, and hilly. Manayunk reminds me of towns I've seen in Europe. Like other young people (I'm 23), I love to party in Manayunk. Whenever I'm sober, I'm throwing myself into nature. The Schuylkill River Trail and Wissahickon Valley Park are two of my favorite places in the city. Also, I love ALL of the neighborhoods up there, save for Andorra (I haven't really had a chance to fully explore it, but it seems kind of auto-centric).

Southwest Philly: Of all the sections of the city, I have the least amount of reason to be there. If I find myself in SW Philly, I'm usually on the 11 trolley making my way out to Delco. The part of Kingsessing closest to 49th Street has a ton of potential, but the rest of SW Philly is super industrial and kind of boring. Admittedly, I do have to make it down to Bartram's Garden at some point before it gets cold.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM

7,457 posts, read 7,874,862 times
When you said "Northwest Philly" I thought you might mention Germantown, Mt. Airy, or Chestnut Hill.

Those are the areas I think of when I think N Philly. But of course Manayunk, Roxborough, and Andorra are in the NW part of the city.

No matter. Just a thought.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:30 PM

288 posts, read 162,131 times
My wife and I always call it Center City. Our neighbors and friends all do as well, but then again they are all the same age as us (30's) and most of them are not from Philly. The few that we know who were raised in the Philly area also call it Center City. It probably varies by demographic and social surroundings.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM

883 posts, read 530,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I have run into quite a few people from South Philly that refer to going "uptown".

My mom grew up in South Philly and she and her friends would say they were "going into town" when going to Center City. Never "uptown," though.

For me, I call it Center City when talking about the location or the area generally, or when speaking with people not from around here. But if I'm going to Center City, I'm going "into town," "downtown," or "into the city."

Old 09-21-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
My mom grew up in South Philly and she and her friends would say they were "going into town" when going to Center City. Never "uptown," though.

For me, I call it Center City when talking about the location or the area generally, or when speaking with people not from around here. But if I'm going to Center City, I'm going "into town," "downtown," or "into the city."
Well, yes, same. We always said " going into town" or "going in town". We all knew what that meant: going to the city for shopping and entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or