U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM

4,451 posts, read 1,690,808 times

Advertisements

I been trying to get my family to explore these area but it hasn't happened yet

Chestnut hill
Fishtown
Fairmount
Northeast

When we go out its normally

New Jersey
Springfield PA
Delaware
South philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 PM

39 posts, read 20,137 times
Maybe we should refer to Will Smith's 'Parents Just Don't Understand' from 1988

"It was me, my brother, my mom, oh, my pop, and my little sister
All hopped in the car
We headed downtown to the Gallery Mall"

Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 AM

1,421 posts, read 424,832 times
We try to explore the city and surrounds as we are empty nesters and enjoy dining out so exploring areas via new restaurants is our thing. Also, my husband has lived and worked in many neighborhoods and he is like a human gps for navigating the city. We go to Chestnut Hill often for specialty food shopping and walks in fairmount park; we travel to South Philly, Fishtown and New Hope, Atlantic City/Margate, and Center City for dining. We occasionally travel into Center City for events such as Philly Pops, theatre, ballet, Temple or Lincoln Financial Field for football games and sometimes for walking along Penn's Landing. The major deterrent for us is traffic and parking and we avoid taking the train at night so that is limiting.

I subscribe to phillyfunguide and it's a helpful way to keep abreast of happenings in the city and suburbs and sometimes provides the push to check things out.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
We try to explore the city and surrounds as we are empty nesters and enjoy dining out so exploring areas via new restaurants is our thing. Also, my husband has lived and worked in many neighborhoods and he is like a human gps for navigating the city. We go to Chestnut Hill often for specialty food shopping and walks in fairmount park; we travel to South Philly, Fishtown and New Hope, Atlantic City/Margate, and Center City for dining. We occasionally travel into Center City for events such as Philly Pops, theatre, ballet, Temple or Lincoln Financial Field for football games and sometimes for walking along Penn's Landing. The major deterrent for us is traffic and parking and we avoid taking the train at night so that is limiting.

I subscribe to phillyfunguide and it's a helpful way to keep abreast of happenings in the city and suburbs and sometimes provides the push to check things out.
Great choices. However can I ask why do you feel it necessary to avoid taking the train at night?

My sister, who is 75, takes the Media/Elwyn to Secane three afternoons/evenings a week for a part time job. She gets home(W. Philly) late at around 10pm. She's been doing this for a couple of years and hasn't had any problems that I'm aware of. She does not drive anymore so she uses septa a lot since it's free.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:43 AM

1,421 posts, read 424,832 times
The train stations tend to be desolate at night and the train schedule is generally hourly (particularly at on weekends) so its an inconvenience if a show ends at 10:00 pm and the next train isn't for another 45 minutes or an hour so we have time to kill. I might do it for a job but it becomes a factor when deciding if it's worth going into center city for a show. There's also about a 10-15 minute walk to train and then drive home from train station so if you just miss a train (like I did a week ago), I had to wait close to an hour and then drive home from train station.

However, I just learned that the SEPTA train will be free for seniors (over 65) so free fare may other come these factors.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:04 PM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
The train stations tend to be desolate at night and the train schedule is generally hourly (particularly at on weekends) so its an inconvenience if a show ends at 10:00 pm and the next train isn't for another 45 minutes or an hour so we have time to kill. I might do it for a job but it becomes a factor when deciding if it's worth going into center city for a show. There's also about a 10-15 minute walk to train and then drive home from train station so if you just miss a train (like I did a week ago), I had to wait close to an hour and then drive home from train station.

However, I just learned that the SEPTA train will be free for seniors (over 65) so free fare may other come these factors.
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Yes, Septa regional rail is now free for seniors with Septa Key Senior Transit Photo ID cards.
You can no longer use any other form of senior ID like Medicare cards to ride free. To get a Senior Key card you can get one at either Septa Hq(1234 Market St) 8am-6pm or Suburban Station's Accessible Travel Ctr 8am-4pm. Those hours are probably weekdays and you will need to bring ID with you to apply. I think there may be same day service to get them now. I got mine mailed to me.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:28 PM

3,059 posts, read 1,055,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Yes, Septa regional rail is now free for seniors with Septa Key Senior Transit Photo ID cards.
You can no longer use any other form of senior ID like Medicare cards to ride free. To get a Senior Key card you can get one at either Septa Hq(1234 Market St) 8am-6pm or Suburban Station's Accessible Travel Ctr 8am-4pm. Those hours are probably weekdays and you will need to bring ID with you to apply. I think there may be same day service to get them now. I got mine mailed to me.
They give them to you right on the spot. No waiting at all.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
Do you have to be a PA or Philly senior resident for the free SEPTA rides?

Old 09-25-2018, 04:22 PM

4,451 posts, read 1,690,808 times
Quote:
Great choices. However can I ask why do you feel it necessary to avoid taking the train at night?

My sister, who is 75, takes the Media/Elwyn to Secane three afternoons/evenings a week for a part time job. She gets home(W. Philly) late at around 10pm. She's been doing this for a couple of years and hasn't had any problems that I'm aware of. She does not drive anymore so she uses septa a lot since it's free.
but that doesn't mean nothing will happen. no 75 year old woman should be on train at night

Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,041,191 times
Quote:

Yea, I am pretty certain my parents got them the same day the photo was taken. Not 100% sure though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or