U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:33 PM

36 posts, read 16,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
If you are open to other areas I would suggest also looking in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood in the NW section of the City. I think it has what you are looking for. The lower property taxes in the City may be beneficial for you as well. Just a hunch that you may like the area.
There is a pretty nice high end townhome development near Chestnut Hill called Reserve at Creekside. Also Toll Brothers is building some near Manayunk. Both very convenient locations if you want to get to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 04:17 PM

27,287 posts, read 25,883,626 times
As much as I've enjoyed visiting New Hope over the years, I wouldn't live in town. There are too many tourists on most weekends. In 2008 (I think) my regional hiking club had a Winter Break weekend there in January. The sidewalks were full of people, and we had to wait for a table in restaurants.

Newtown has a small 'Main Street' shopping area about two blocks long. There's little reason to go there, but it looks lovely in December with the Christmas lights and decorations.

Washington Crossing is suburban with no town center. You can see that on the map. People go there to visit the parks in PA and NJ and walk the canal trails. River Road can be quite busy, but it's easily avoided most of the time.

If you're looking for nightlife and things to do, see, I'd move closer to Philly. Me? I'd live in Bucks County. Though I've lived in a few cities, I'm definitely a country mouse. At least suburban.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:21 PM

36 posts, read 16,621 times
Added thoughts:
If an age 55+ community fits the bill, Fox Run Preserve is just outside New Hope.
Teversall in Doylestown are very nice existing townhomes in a very walkable location.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:26 AM

86 posts, read 124,431 times
Default Thanks for all the great info!

We really do appreciate all the quality input! THANK YOU- We have been considering this move to PA for some time.
We are now ready to move forward. We are taking a trip in late September and will spend a couple of days in Philly, then explore the Bucks County towns of New Hope, Doylestown, Newtown and Washington's Crossing for a few more days, then we will check out Newtown Sq and Media.

Duderino- Interesting, you did the reverse as you said you are now in the Boston area from Philly! Great insight as a result. Where would you say Philly is in the " revitalization phase" ? Knowing we will have a limited time in the city, are there any " must do's??"

PA991.1- Thanks for the insight RE the garage at Waterworks. I have heard something similar. I think that is just a bit to close for comfort, plus the cost of flood insurance etc. We like the two communities you mention. Love the location of Treversal, the only downside if the high hoa ( 600/ mo) and the electric heat. We also found that most need extensive renovation to bring them up to date. Fox Run Preserve looks nice as well, just not sure we are ready for " over 55" even though we ARE! ( barely....lol)
We have pretty much ruled out all stucco townhomes as it would be a very costly mistake potentially if we had a problem. My understanding is that homeowners insurance is not covering the issue in most cases- YIKES! Last time we were in PA, we did look at Delancey Court in Newtown ( it is also over 55)
we also looked at Heritage Hills ( the brick ones ) in Washington's Crossing, along with Wilshire Hunt and Fieldstone in NH. These 3 all were older, and would need renovation, however lower pricing would allow that. That being said Fox Run and Treversal have a more upscale feel.

We are looking very forward to further exploring the area in late September. Thanks again for all the insight.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander62 View Post
Thanks CPOMP! We will check out Media as well! We are planning an extended trip in September to look at places. We will also spend a couple of days in Philadelphia. Like I said it has been sometime since we have been there. I am hopeful we like the city, as we currently get into Boston often which is clean, booming and very safe city. I am thinking we should check out Rittenhouse SQ, Society Hill? Any other suggestions?

We do love New Hope and Doylestown ( also Newtown) . We have not found the " right" place as of yet...hoping to find something less cookie cutter, and with some style.

thanks again for the input!
Someone will probably say this. Since you like those BucksCo places check out the NW part of the city. That is Chestnut Hill, West and East Mt Airy. They're very leafy areas that match what you enjoy about Bucks.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,968,132 times
Philadelphia went through the "revitalization phase" about 20 or 30 years ago - it's well beyond that point, at least in terms of Center City. The gentrified areas are constantly expanding out from center city to the north, south, and west. Center City, and many of the adjacent areas) is very safe, and has been for a long time. Of course, there is still crime, and it's not to say that it doesn't have your typical big city problems. When you look at city-wide statistics, however, the figures get distorted by the fact that it's a big city, and yes there are still plenty of "bad" areas in North and West Philly. Those are not areas you are likely to set foot in, however, so aren't really relevant. The population of Philly is over twice the population of Boston, and it includes more areas that are less than desirable. Make sure to walk around Society Hill and Old City, and see if it feels like Boston (I think it will). Walk around the Rittenhouse Square / Avenue of the Arts areas and see if it feels a bit like Manhattan.

Here is a safety map. You want to stay in the green areas, which is about half the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...C0.181103&z=13

Last edited by Angus215; 08-17-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander62 View Post
Thanks Angus215. I am excited to re-explore Philadelphia. One concern I had was the crime statistics vs a Boston or even NY. Is most of the crime concentrated in certain areas of Phil that I should be careful of?
Also, I realize the towns in the burbs we are looking in are a bit of a distance from Philly, having the access is really important. Currently we are 1 hour from Boston ( no traffic) but we still get there often.
I like the country character of the suburbs however for our day to day living.

thanks VERY much for your insight!
Yes, most of the crime is in specific areas that you can avoid.

For reference, I like Doylestown quite a bit. It's easy to get to, from Philly, by train. But it takes over an hour.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:58 AM

427 posts, read 160,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, most of the crime is in specific areas that you can avoid.

For reference, I like Doylestown quite a bit. It's easy to get to, from Philly, by train. But it takes over an hour.
...and over an hour (sometimes well over) to drive.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:23 PM

72 posts, read 66,587 times
I love the New Hope area, have for years. The Playhouse was my introduction to the town and I've been hooked since. I'm kind of hoping to find something similar up here around Springfield, MA. Best of luck!

Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 PM

4,745 posts, read 7,848,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Philadelphia went through the "revitalization phase" about 20 or 30 years ago - it's well beyond that point, at least in terms of Center City. The gentrified areas are constantly expanding out from center city to the north, south, and west. Center City, and many of the adjacent areas) is very safe, and has been for a long time. Of course, there is still crime, and it's not to say that it doesn't have your typical big city problems. When you look at city-wide statistics, however, the figures get distorted by the fact that it's a big city, and yes there are still plenty of "bad" areas in North and West Philly. Those are not areas you are likely to set foot in, however, so aren't really relevant. The population of Philly is over twice the population of Boston, and it includes more areas that are less than desirable. Make sure to walk around Society Hill and Old City, and see if it feels like Boston (I think it will). Walk around the Rittenhouse Square / Avenue of the Arts areas and see if it feels a bit like Manhattan.
Well put. This is a great overview of how Boston and Philly compare. Essentially, the the most challenged parts of Philly would be akin geographically to Chelsea or south Dorchester in the Boston area. Basically completely out of sight/out of mind for the standard visitor.

Even so, it's absolutely true that more and more of the city get pulled into the revitalization/gentrification orbit as time marches on. Actually pretty incredible the amount of investment going on in places that haven't seen new construction homes in literally decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia