U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 01:22 PM

609 posts, read 456,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbound1 View Post
Thanks.

Is Paoli/ Malvern a "little too far"? I come from a city where I drive 45 mins one way in heavy traffic. Before that, I came from a city where I took a 45 min train one way. I agree that driving = flexibility vs. train = stick to timelines. I need to make my way to near Independence Hall.

Commute, of course, is important but more or equally is safety since my wife will be home and we have a 6-year-old. Access to parks, schools, trains (for her so she can be mobile) etc.

Best,

P.S. the "little too far" comment came from a couple of would-be colleagues
There are express trains from Malvern and Paoli. It’s a little less than 40 minutes from Paoli and a little more than 40 minutes from Malvern to Jefferson Station which is where you would get off to head toward Independence Hall. Add in time to/from the station on both ends and you should have a good idea of total trip time assuming the train is on time. “Too far” is ultimately a judgement call for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 01:22 PM

27,265 posts, read 25,865,265 times
I wouldn't do it, but I always felt put out if a commute took more than thirty minutes.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:09 PM

142 posts, read 207,019 times
Thanks. I will add a couple of things to this that are relevant to my thought process...certainly, appreciate anything you can offer to the thought process.

- I will likely travel (5x international trips and maybe a couple local trips)
- We aren't the ones to get into an older home that requires constant upkeep
- where possible we would love to spend up to 700k max (650 ideally)

All that said, of course, I would prefer to live closer like Wayne, Radnor, Villanova, Bryn Mawr....sure one can't have everything! Closer it gets expensive it gets I know that

Old 08-19-2018, 01:20 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
Thanks. I will add a couple of things to this that are relevant to my thought process...certainly, appreciate anything you can offer to the thought process.

- I will likely travel (5x international trips and maybe a couple local trips)
- We aren't the ones to get into an older home that requires constant upkeep
- where possible we would love to spend up to 700k max (650 ideally)

All that said, of course, I would prefer to live closer like Wayne, Radnor, Villanova, Bryn Mawr....sure one can't have everything! Closer it gets expensive it gets I know that
I've worked in Malvern and lived in Berwyn, along Rt. 30 right before you get to Paoli. Yes, I think Malvern is a "bit too far"....if I were you, I'd look in Wayne. I don't know what $650K will get you, but I don't think you'll find anything affordable in Radnor and Villanova. Keep in mind the Main Line communities are older and that's part of their charm and character, so you're probably looking at an older home.

I also like Wayne because it's close to 476, which will be super-convenient when you have to get to the airport. And bonus is the adorable downtown area.

Also, I used to work near Independence Hall. I took the train in from Norristown (where I lived at the time) and then transferred to the subway to 5th and Market, but of course you are probably way younger and not pregnant, which I was at the time so I was not about to walk six blocks.

Last edited by Avalon08; 08-19-2018 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 08-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I've worked in Malvern and lived in Berwyn, along Rt. 30 right before you get to Paoli. Yes, I think Malvern is a "bit too far"....if I were you, I'd look in Wayne. I don't know what $650K will get you, but I don't think you'll find anything affordable in Radnor and Villanova. Keep in mind the Main Line communities are older and that's part of their charm and character, so you're probably looking at an older home.

I also like Wayne because it's close to 476, which will be super-convenient when you have to get to the airport. And bonus is the adorable downtown area.

Also, I used to work near Independence Hall. I took the train in from Norristown (where I lived at the time) and then transferred to the subway to 5th and Market, but of course you are probably way younger and not pregnant, which I was at the time so I was not about to walk six blocks.
Thanks. We have been talking to a few folks over the last couple of days and coming to the realization that Wayne may be our outer limit. We are also coming to the realization that if we did want something decent then we are looking at $750k+ (does that sound right?). There are some new homes in Chesterbrook (10 mins drive to Berwyn which I know is outside of Wayne) that I don't mind visiting.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 AM

541 posts, read 252,445 times
Quote:
Thanks. We have been talking to a few folks over the last couple of days and coming to the realization that Wayne may be our outer limit. We are also coming to the realization that if we did want something decent then we are looking at $750k+ (does that sound right?). There are some new homes in Chesterbrook (10 mins drive to Berwyn which I know is outside of Wayne) that I don't mind visiting.
What do you consider "decent", how big of a house do you need, and how stuck on the Main Line are you? The Main Line is the priciest area of the region, so if you need a big house (i.e. you have 3 kids and need a 5BR house) with no maintenance, 750k isn't going to cut it, but it would in other areas in the region (that also have excellent schools and amenities and stuff).

Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
What do you consider "decent", how big of a house do you need, and how stuck on the Main Line are you? The Main Line is the priciest area of the region, so if you need a big house (i.e. you have 3 kids and need a 5BR house) with no maintenance, 750k isn't going to cut it, but it would in other areas in the region (that also have excellent schools and amenities and stuff).
- A 3BR with loft/ basement OR 4BR
- 2 car garage
- Based on my research that translates to perhaps 2800+ sq ft
- 1 kid
- Main Line location is based on a recommendation from many (we are going to do a trip or two to figure out yourself and self-explore a bit). From what I gather, being on the Main Line would be preferable given the commute to Independence Hall. That being said, I don't really know much about any other areas (or have not gotten good recommendations) than Main Line

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 AM

541 posts, read 252,445 times
Quote:
- 2 car garage
- 1 kid
- Main Line location is based on a recommendation from many (we are going to do a trip or two to figure out yourself and self-explore a bit). From what I gather, being on the Main Line would be preferable given the commute to Independence Hall. That being said, I don't really know much about any other areas (or have not gotten good recommendations) than Main Line

Thanks.
Well, the Main Line isn't preferable for the commute. Every commuter train line goes through Jefferson Station, and commuting by car on the Schuylkill "Expressway" is probably the worst of the local highways (and depending on where you are on the Main Line, there might not even be a great way to get to it - Lancaster Ave is not a good road to drive on, either). The Main Line is a very nice area to live and has great public and private schools, but it's also very expensive. There are other areas, including Newtown-Yardley in Bucks County (where I live), the Springfield-Media-Swarthmore area of Delaware County, and the area around North Wales in Montgomery County that also have great schools and a similar commute that are not as expensive as the Main Line, so I would definitely recommend expanding your search area if you aren't finding something in your budget in that area. The areas outside the Main Line would also be more likely to have new or newer construction.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:40 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
- 2 car garage
- 1 kid

Thanks.
Oh I didn't realize you were limiting your search to the Main Line just based on recommendations. Yes, the Main Line is great, but there are MANY nice suburbs around the city, with good school districts and near a train line. And as the above poster said, you'll get a lot more for your money and may get new/newish construction. You should do a search on this forum to get a sense of some other areas.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:49 PM

1,335 posts, read 744,209 times
Quote:
- 2 car garage
- 1 kid

Thanks.

The Main Line is the word first dropped to transplants looking in the suburbs but OFTEN not the best choice given the budget. 700k is a healthy budget, and it surely will buy you something on the Main Line.

But keep in mind, the Main Line has zip codes wealthier than Beverly Hills. Your 700k is not going to go as far.

This region is blessed with top performing public schools and a glistening commuter rail system, that means you can find what you are looking for in the entire 4 suburban county region.

My #1 recommendation for you. Do not move to the Main Line. If you do not want an older home in your budget, and are looking for something new. You really are not going to find it unless it is an attached home.

You will be most happy with

- Media/Swarthmore
- Abington/Lansdale
- Ambler
- Newtown
- Lower Gwynedd

Start there. Southeast Pennsylvania is very large. And very old. If you want new construction at your price point. It is not the main line.

Most of the reason the Main Line is so valued and pricey is because of its historic charm. Not new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia