U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 PM

541 posts, read 252,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The Main Line is the word first dropped to transplants looking in the suburbs but OFTEN not the best choice given the budget. 700k is a healthy budget, and it surely will buy you something on the Main Line.

But keep in mind, the Main Line has zip codes wealthier than Beverly Hills. Your 700k is not going to go as far.

This region is blessed with top performing public schools and a glistening commuter rail system, that means you can find what you are looking for in the entire 4 suburban county region.

My #1 recommendation for you. Do not move to the Main Line. If you do not want an older home in your budget, and are looking for something new. You really are not going to find it unless it is an attached home.

You will be most happy with

- Media/Swarthmore
- Abington/Lansdale
- Ambler
- Newtown
- Lower Gwynedd

Start there. Southeast Pennsylvania is very large. And very old. If you want new construction at your price point. It is not the main line.

Most of the reason the Main Line is so valued and pricey is because of its historic charm. Not new construction.
If you equate Lansdale, Ambler, and Gwynedd with "the area around North Wales", which it is if you look at a map of MontCo, I think you'll find that RHC and I are on the same page on this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:00 PM

142 posts, read 207,019 times
Thanks. I will research. My early impressions based on limited research is "the area around North Wales" will be too far to get from and to to Center City, no?

Old 08-21-2018, 06:59 AM

1,335 posts, read 744,209 times
Yes North Wales is getting a little far out there. Stick with Ambler. There are numerous regional rail lines. Some have more headways than others during off hours. Nearly all though have the same frequency during normal commuting hours.

My #1 recommendation honestly would be stick to Ambler and the surrounding Twp. Not going to be the newest of new construction but I think you will find the top performing schools. ALL are great in that area.

Id start there and branch out. Good luck!!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 AM

541 posts, read 252,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbound1 View Post
Thanks. I will research. My early impressions based on limited research is "the area around North Wales" will be too far to get from and to to Center City, no?
Driving is not easy because you end up on the "Expressway", but the train from North Wales to Jefferson Station is 45 mins, or similar to the Main Line or any of the other areas mentioned.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:30 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
To the OP: I know you're probably overwhelmed with the suggestions so far! I'll just give you a couple more:

When you say "access to Philadelphia", do you mean just the train for work? Or driving in to the city for non-work activities? I don't mean to keep touting the Main Line, but I do think it's the most accessible to Center City (and I'm very familiar with Ambler, the Gwynedds, North Wales, etc.). If you look at the map, Wayne, for example, is convenient to 476, 76, 276, plus Rt. 3 which is also a straight shot into the city. Ambler, North Wales etc. are further out and it's more convoluted to get into the city.

Now, if you care mostly about the commute to center city on the train, then I'd look at the train schedules first. Looks like there's an express train that stops in Paoli and gets to the city in about 35 mins. in the morning. Don't forget to add the time it will take to get from Jefferson Station to Independence Hall. Anyway, the regional rail schedules are available on Septa.org. Once you find the most convenient rail line and stop for you, you can start your search there.

Don't forget to check property taxes. Delaware County can be pretty high up there.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 PM

142 posts, read 207,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
To the OP: I know you're probably overwhelmed with the suggestions so far! I'll just give you a couple more:

When you say "access to Philadelphia", do you mean just the train for work? Or driving in to the city for non-work activities? I don't mean to keep touting the Main Line, but I do think it's the most accessible to Center City (and I'm very familiar with Ambler, the Gwynedds, North Wales, etc.). If you look at the map, Wayne, for example, is convenient to 476, 76, 276, plus Rt. 3 which is also a straight shot into the city. Ambler, North Wales etc. are further out and it's more convoluted to get into the city.

Now, if you care mostly about the commute to center city on the train, then I'd look at the train schedules first. Looks like there's an express train that stops in Paoli and gets to the city in about 35 mins. in the morning. Don't forget to add the time it will take to get from Jefferson Station to Independence Hall. Anyway, the regional rail schedules are available on Septa.org. Once you find the most convenient rail line and stop for you, you can start your search there.

Don't forget to check property taxes. Delaware County can be pretty high up there.
Indeed overwhelmed but there isn't much I can do about that. I have to make sure I am informed.

re: commute; Ideal scenario would be 30-35 mins or so train ride to Philadephia. But just so you know I currently drive to work and it's a min 45 min drive one way...so certainly I don't mind driving but I am going to have to pay for parking in Center City (and I don't know how much that would be). In many ways, driving is more convenient but if ends up being 1 hour each way to then driving starts to lose its appeal. I think my nervousness is because of a couple of things (i) I don't know how the traffic there is (although not sure how much more worse would it be compared to Southern California), (ii) not sure of a good estimtate for parking, and (iii) never lived in snow so not sure how I will tackle that.

One other factor I realize I didn't mention...although we have been away from our birth country for ages...we were born in India. So some community around us would be great.

All that said, my not so informed opinion is that Ambler, North Wales, Gwynedds may be a bit of a stretch (drive or train) so my newbie default was the Main Line. I am starting to also research Newtown Square (like the Ithan El School), Media, Springfield and Swarthmore.

Welcome any suggestions. As you can tell I am just starting to research but I don't have a lot of time i.e., I have to move in the next 5 weeks so soaking all the information. I have a 3 day trip planned in a week or so so want to be prepared with my questions.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Indeed overwhelmed but there isn't much I can do about that. I have to make sure I am informed.

re: commute; Ideal scenario would be 30-35 mins or so train ride to Philadephia. But just so you know I currently drive to work and it's a min 45 min drive one way...so certainly I don't mind driving but I am going to have to pay for parking in Center City (and I don't know how much that would be). In many ways, driving is more convenient but if ends up being 1 hour each way to then driving starts to lose its appeal. I think my nervousness is because of a couple of things (i) I don't know how the traffic there is (although not sure how much more worse would it be compared to Southern California), (ii) not sure of a good estimtate for parking, and (iii) never lived in snow so not sure how I will tackle that.

One other factor I realize I didn't mention...although we have been away from our birth country for ages...we were born in India. So some community around us would be great.

All that said, my not so informed opinion is that Ambler, North Wales, Gwynedds may be a bit of a stretch (drive or train) so my newbie default was the Main Line. I am starting to also research Newtown Square (like the Ithan El School), Media, Springfield and Swarthmore.

Welcome any suggestions. As you can tell I am just starting to research but I don't have a lot of time i.e., I have to move in the next 5 weeks so soaking all the information. I have a 3 day trip planned in a week or so so want to be prepared with my questions.
I don't mean to sound like I've lived in every place you're mentioning, but I really HAVE lived in Newtown Square too (actually, Willistown Township....in Chester County but with a Newtown Square zip code). I found it very convenient to get into the city. But then again, I wasn't going to the city to work every day. If I was driving in rush hour to get to my dentist in the city, I'd definitely allow 90 minutes. I don't think you particularly would enjoy that.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:03 PM

16 posts, read 9,777 times
Ithan is our local elementary school and we have been very pleased with the area. A small portion of the catchment area has a Newtown Square address and this is the small portion of the mailing address that falls in Radnor Township. Although I’m sure there are a few houses available for 650-700k, these will almost certainly be older homes requiring a fair amount of renovations and upkeep. You will unfortunately not find new construction in your price range in Radnor. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:

OK, now you're going far out-of-scope from your original question, which was about snowfall. There is a pinned post that you're supposed to fill out that would help us address your criteria all at once instead of piecemeal. And I believe if you do a search of the forum, you will find previous questions about areas with Indian populations. I can't help you out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia