Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:17 PM

856 posts, read 698,815 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have an Uncle who asked me if I knew of any 55+ communities in the Philadelphia area, so I said I would ask the fine folks here at CityData.

My Uncle is 65, Jewish, married, living in the suburbs of New York City and looking to spend anywhere from $100k-$350k on housing. He's middle income and looking for a community where he and my Aunt can meet people, so activities are somewhat important. He's also a big tennis player. Location wise, he prefers to stay within 40 minutes of Philadelphia in any direction, though prefers to stay on the PA or DE side given the cost of New Jersey as he will be on a fixed income (probably $60-$90k but I don't ask these things) during retirement.

Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 PM

13,937 posts, read 8,779,876 times
There are a slew of 55+ residential communities and buildings in the suburbs, and several in the city as well.

One of the largest operators of senior residences in the region is Presby's Inspired Life, the nonprofit senior-care/senior-living mission of the Presbytery of Philadelphia. If you look at their market-rate senior living communities "for those 62 and better," you should find that "nonprofit" doesn't mean non-luxurious. But if your uncle is worried about blowing his budget, this organization also has an extensive affordable senior housing mission with facilities in Philadelphia, Bucks, Delaware and Montgomery counties. You can find out about all of their options on the website, linked above.

An in-city option, right off Logan Square, is The Watermark at Logan Square. This is a high-rise that, like PIL's flagship, Rydal Park, offers everything from independent living to skilled nursing care, so your uncle will have access to supportive services should his condition reach a point where he needs them. For-profit Watermark also operates three other senior living communities in the suburbs with less extensive services, but those might be appropriate for your uncle for at least the foreseeable future.

Toll Brothers, one of the nation's largest builders of upscale homes, offers 10 active adult communities around the region. This website has information on them.

This site, affiliated with Realtor.com, lists a variety of 55+ apartment communities and assisted living homes in the city.

This one lists single-family-home developments restricted to those 55 and above.

Of course, you'd need to contact the individual developments or buildings to get information about prices/rents, community amenities, services offered (if any) and the like.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:08 AM

856 posts, read 698,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
There are a slew of 55+ residential communities and buildings in the suburbs, and several in the city as well.

One of the largest operators of senior residences in the region is Presby's Inspired Life, the nonprofit senior-care/senior-living mission of the Presbytery of Philadelphia. If you look at their market-rate senior living communities "for those 62 and better," you should find that "nonprofit" doesn't mean non-luxurious. But if your uncle is worried about blowing his budget, this organization also has an extensive affordable senior housing mission with facilities in Philadelphia, Bucks, Delaware and Montgomery counties. You can find out about all of their options on the website, linked above.

An in-city option, right off Logan Square, is The Watermark at Logan Square. This is a high-rise that, like PIL's flagship, Rydal Park, offers everything from independent living to skilled nursing care, so your uncle will have access to supportive services should his condition reach a point where he needs them. For-profit Watermark also operates three other senior living communities in the suburbs with less extensive services, but those might be appropriate for your uncle for at least the foreseeable future.

Toll Brothers, one of the nation's largest builders of upscale homes, offers 10 active adult communities around the region. This website has information on them.

This site, affiliated with Realtor.com, lists a variety of 55+ apartment communities and assisted living homes in the city.

This one lists single-family-home developments restricted to those 55 and above.

Of course, you'd need to contact the individual developments or buildings to get information about prices/rents, community amenities, services offered (if any) and the like.
Thank you for the information, much appreciated!

Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,155,793 times
Shannondell in Audobon/Norristown is very nice.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:48 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,345,208 times
Hershey's Mill in West Chester is a large community in a beautiful setting with a variety of housing options/prices, a golf course and an active community. Not sure if they have tennis but check them out.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 PM

19 posts, read 16,350 times
You could also try Centennial Station in Warminster PA. Has an indoor swimming pool.

Also The Reserve at Gwynedd seems very nice, also with some social activities and a nice clubhouse. Another place he could think about is Green Hill Condo in Wynnewood. I don't have any experience with it personally beyond one tour, but it is very reasonably priced, has a lot of amenities, a shuttle and seems to cater to a lot of the 55+ population even if it isn't actually a 55+ community.

Last edited by harborrd18; 09-06-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 05:13 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,634,892 times
https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/sen...a_19103-558198 is another one. I'm guessing it's expensive and there's a waiting list.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,345,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/sen...a_19103-558198 is another one. I'm guessing it's expensive and there's a waiting list.
Are you sure about this? I googled out of curiosity since I had never heard of it. It says it's affordable housing and there are 150 Section 8 units.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:04 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,634,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Are you sure about this? I googled out of curiosity since I had never heard of it. It says it's affordable housing and there are 150 Section 8 units.
I walk by it every day. I mean, I guess it could be section 8 for seniors, which I'd never heard of such a thing, but I guess anything is possible.

The website I provided says it's for seniors, and I've only seen seniors in that location in passing.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,500,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I walk by it every day. I mean, I guess it could be section 8 for seniors, which I'd never heard of such a thing, but I guess anything is possible.

The website I provided says it's for seniors, and I've only seen seniors in that location in passing.
It is definitely low income housing for seniors and the organization that runs it gets mixed reviews at best. I have researched ad nauseum rental housing for 55+, but if your folks are looking to buy they don't need to consider this type of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia