U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 23,448 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I currently live in Drexel Hill, work at UPenn, but I'm interested in moving a bit further out so we can have more space.

Things I like about Drexel Hill:
* The easy commute (seriously, 15 minutes on the train is a dream)
* Close to the airport (I travel a lot for work)
* Decent elementary school
* Decent shopping options (access to malls, grocery stores, etc; not too far to Costco)
* Easy access to 476
* Our house was cheap

Things I don't like:
* Little house, no yard
* Middle/High schools not so great

Things I'd like:
* More yard (little house okay); country life would be great (I grew up in a small rural town and I miss that feeling desperately)
* Decent commute. Something near a train line in would be ideal; I'd rather not have to buy a second car.
* South of Philly (my family is in DC & VA, a more southern location would be helpful for weekend visits)
* Decent schools (son is going into third grade so we're looking forward to the future)
* Not too expensive housing

Are there areas in Delaware that might suit? I look at maps and on house-searching sites like Zillow but it's so hard to get a sense of a place like that.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who live in areas they love and can make recommendations based on personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
Next door Springfield delco is your best bet.
Essington would only be helpful if you were willing to send your child to private or cyber.

For Delaware, best to ask on the Delaware forum if you have not already. The parts on the northern part of Delaware are all very nice, but I don't know the names of the townships there. Off of Rt-52 I think it is, near Longwood Gardens and further south, that stretch is all very nice to live in for the Delaware and PA portions along that corridor.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 AM

288 posts, read 162,196 times
Regarding Delaware, I work in New Castle and live in Philly so I drive up and down this 95 corridor every day. Claymont might be a good choice - you can park & ride at the Claymont station. It is a high-trafficked station on the Wilmington line that would drop you right off at UCity by the South St. bridge, avoiding the need to go to 30th st. That would be a very easy work commute. Access to the airport is simple too - just a straight shot up 95.

Along Rt. 92 (Naamans Road) are major commercial strip malls and the roads branching out from it lead to typical rural/suburban housing. There's also the neighborhoods along Harvey road between 95 and 495, just south of where they split but I do not know about the schools.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 746,153 times
I did the Wilmington - Center City commute for 2 months. It was a nightmare. (Claymont is the next stop).

I do not recommend it as a daily commute. Some people can tolerate it. Honestly it is your question of wanting more green for less time at home. (Plus your commuting cost will increase by about 25% or so).

I would focus on Upper Providence Twp. and around the Media area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia