U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,048 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We are a professional couple in our 50's looking to relocate to Philadelphia and live within 20 mins commute to Temple University. No kids, school district is not a consideration, but need room to work from home. Looking for a standalone home with some yard space, 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage, quality housing with modern amenities within 600K. Need a finished basement for home theater. Like to be near everyday amenities and shopping, but in quiet, green neighborhood. Is this budget realistic? What are some good neighborhoods to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Reputation: 420
I don't know that a 20 minute door-to-door is possible, without living in the city itself (ie. Center City), which even then would be tough and it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for anyway. Commuting by car in Philly is terrible, and I would think Temple would be a particularly difficult area to drive to, so you will probably want to take the train.

Chestnut Hill or Mt Airy might be options, though these are nice, historic areas with old homes, which may not be what you are looking for. But you might find something updated that you would like particularly in Mt Airy on that budget.

There are many suburban areas that are served by SEPTA trains that stop at Temple. I would figure out which train lines stop at Temple BEFORE going into Center City, and start from there. I believe it is going to be the Norristown, Warminster and Doylestown lines, with the Doylestown and Warminster lines giving you better access to suburban areas. Perhaps Jenkintown, Abington, Ambler, or other places in that general area. These are "older" suburban areas. Obviously, the further you are willing to go out, the newer (and cheaper) the housing will tend to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 01:09 PM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,095 posts, read 1,124,688 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
I don't know that a 20 minute door-to-door is possible, without living in the city itself (ie. Center City), which even then would be tough and it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for anyway. Commuting by car in Philly is terrible, and I would think Temple would be a particularly difficult area to drive to, so you will probably want to take the train.

Chestnut Hill or Mt Airy might be options, though these are nice, historic areas with old homes, which may not be what you are looking for. But you might find something updated that you would like particularly in Mt Airy on that budget.

There are many suburban areas that are served by SEPTA trains that stop at Temple. I would figure out which train lines stop at Temple BEFORE going into Center City, and start from there. I believe it is going to be the Norristown, Warminster and Doylestown lines, with the Doylestown and Warminster lines giving you better access to suburban areas. Perhaps Jenkintown, Abington, Ambler, or other places in that general area. These are "older" suburban areas. Obviously, the further you are willing to go out, the newer (and cheaper) the housing will tend to be.
^^^ yes, staying train-focused will keep you happy and sane. Mt Airy and parts of Germantown (Chestnut Hill East line) are good options, as is East Falls (Norristown line). There are certainly locations along either route that would meet your needs and be within budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 02:18 PM
 
426 posts, read 159,873 times
Reputation: 734
I could be wrong but the OP's list of desires makes it seem like they want what is pictured below, which does exist in the City but as an exception to the rule......maybe look in Andorra and the Far Northeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 02:32 PM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,095 posts, read 1,124,688 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I could be wrong but the OP's list of desires makes it seem like they want what is pictured below, which does exist in the City but as an exception to the rule......maybe look in Andorra and the Far Northeast?
Housing-wise, those would work, but would also be way more than 20 minutes to Temple. Even if OP went from the semi-realistic 20 minutes to 30 or a bit more, Andorra/Far N'east would still be a stretch (and would almost require driving in the case of the N'east; if Andorra, you could probably drive to a station on the Norristown Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 02:56 PM
 
544 posts, read 462,414 times
Reputation: 555
Pretty limited options. I would recommend looking in East Mt Airy and Chesnut Hill along the CHE Line. I would also maybe look in Jenkintown or Elkins Park near their respective train stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 12:19 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,076 posts, read 3,334,972 times
Reputation: 2779
3 bedroom, a yard, and a finished basement doesn't sound like an unreasonable request. Nothing in Philly meets that goal? Overbrook Farms? Chestnut Hill?
People aren't rehabbing their houses in Mt Airy?

OP, would you be willing to buy a home that requires upgrading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 12:39 PM
 
426 posts, read 159,873 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Housing-wise, those would work, but would also be way more than 20 minutes to Temple. Even if OP went from the semi-realistic 20 minutes to 30 or a bit more, Andorra/Far N'east would still be a stretch (and would almost require driving in the case of the N'east; if Andorra, you could probably drive to a station on the Norristown Line.
You're right that total time would be more than 20 minutes from the NE but you could take the regional rail from Fox Chase, Somerton, Holmesburg, Torresdale, etc. depending on where you decide to locate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 01:45 PM
 
7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
Reputation: 10573
Quote:
within 20 mins commute to Temple University. No kids, school district is not a consideration, but need room to work from home. Looking for a standalone home with some yard space, 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage, quality housing with modern amenities within 600K. Need a finished basement for home theater. Like to be near everyday amenities and shopping, but in quiet, green neighborhood. Is this budget realistic?
OP that depends on how much weight you give to each of those "wants."
-- Can you put them in order of priority....
-- also will you be driving or taking public transit, or sometimes one sometimes the other? AND what time of day are you commuting?
---------------------------------

-- commute time or home amenities?
-- within 20 mins commute to Temple University.
-- room to work from home.
-- standalone home with some yard space
-- 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage
-- quality housing with modern amenities
-- within 600K
-- a finished basement for home theater.
-- near everyday amenities and shopping, but in quiet, green neighborhood.
-- Is this budget realistic? (600K)

So the OP wants a single family (not attached) home with a TWO-car garage, 20-minutes from Temple?
Plus all those other "wants"
IMO the 2-car garage in a SFH that's 20 minutes to Temple will be the hardest to find.....

Mt Airy, parts of Germantown (Chestnut Hill East line), East Falls (Norristown line), Overbrook Farms? Chestnut Hill?
Sure all of those might be options or have some inventory that meet the OP's desires.

A fair number of house might have ONE-car garages, but 2-car? Yes they are out there. But many fewer, I'd say.

Try: The Far Northeast, East Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, East Oak Lane, Roxborough, Andorra, Overbrook Farms, Wynnefield.
Are any of them truly 20 minutes door-to-to to Temple? Not really.
If driving certainly not.
If taking public transit -- as Angus215 said, "figure out which train lines stop at Temple BEFORE going into Center City, and start from there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 01:51 PM
 
544 posts, read 462,414 times
Reputation: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
3 bedroom, a yard, and a finished basement doesn't sound like an unreasonable request. Nothing in Philly meets that goal? Overbrook Farms? Chestnut Hill?
People aren't rehabbing their houses in Mt Airy?

OP, would you be willing to buy a home that requires upgrading?

The housing isn't the problem its finding this house with a 20 min commute of Temple U is going to be very challenging. Mt. Airy would have to be limited to E Mt. Ary since the CHW will take quite a bit longer than 20 minutes to get to Temple. Chestnut Hill will be pushing the 20 minute limit at as well. There is not a lot of housing inventory in either neighborhood at the moment and there is an extremely limited inventory of standalone houses in both neighborhoods. Most will be twins/rows (mostly twins).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top