U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:43 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That is not good advice. Do not engage random shirtless people, none the less antagonize them further..

PAFA is in a bit of a deadzone because of the very large convention center across the street. Traffic is crazy because of 676. Not the easiest spot to get to. Sounds like a bad experience though, and not reflective of something that would happen everyday. I assume she walked down Broad st. today, she should try walking down 15th to the back of pafa. It's more pedestrian friendly. General rule if you see someone ahead you don't want to come near and you really can't ignore them, then cross the street and if you can't do that than turn around if it is that big of a deal.
During the day it is not a dead zone at all. Plenty of people going back and forth to Hahnemann and the rest of Drexel med along and around there on Broad. Plus just random pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 07:45 AM

23,609 posts, read 10,782,374 times
There is nothing wrong with getting self defense, and situational awareness training. Also, there is the option of legal, concealed carry of a firearm if the student is 21 or older. At the minimum, get training, carry pepper spray, etc. Have non lethal options in which to defend yourself at the bare minimum.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:35 PM

23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with getting self defense, and situational awareness training. Also, there is the option of legal, concealed carry of a firearm if the student is 21 or older. At the minimum, get training, carry pepper spray, etc. Have non lethal options in which to defend yourself at the bare minimum.
Did you not read the OP? She's 18.

The safest thing is to ignore a creep & just keep moving. Been there, done that.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
This is extreme for where she's likely to be.

The immediate area around PAFA is fine. I know what I'm talking about. I walk around there almost daily. Days. Nights.

She's 18.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did you not read the OP? She's 18.

The safest thing is to ignore a creep & just keep moving. Been there, done that.
So, she will never turn 21? I'm a creep for recommending she get training to protect herself?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
So, she will never turn 21? I'm a creep for recommending she get training to protect herself?
Not the training; I've done training because I'm short.

But, the idea that a gun is necessary where she is likely to go seems extreme me.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not the training; I've done training because I'm short.

But, the idea that a gun is necessary where she is likely to go seems extreme me.
I understand what you are saying. Nothing is "necessary" anywhere. Neither is my home owner's insurance policy, but I keep paying the premiums.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Nothing is "necessary" anywhere. Neither is my home owner's insurance policy, but I keep paying the premiums.
We've had this discussion before. I don't agree with you. At least with the idea that this young woman should pack in Center City.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:47 PM

23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Art students usually are carting lots of stuff. They drag the tools etc. back & forth between home & classes. You made an inappropriate suggestion. By insisting on it, you're turning inappropriate into just plain bad. Your suggestion is more likely to get her hurt or killed. I was a female 18 year old art student. The safest thing is to dodge the creeps on the street. I had one incident on PATCO, ever. All l needed to do was forget about decorum. Pulling a gun was not the way to go. If she's got her hands full with paints, a canvas, etc.,what's she supposed to do? Hand the stuff to the creep so she can pull out a gun?

If you avoid the creep, the problem is solved.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:16 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,051,342 times
What about a buddy system? Especially if she’s walking after class in the dark when the time changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or