U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone.. this is good info.

I'll be honest with you. We were considering Fairmount until my friend's friend was shot and killed recently:
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...dzol-shooting/

I realize it's a city and this stuff happens everywhere but I think it happening so close to home really made us reconsider this area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldexplorer1 View Post

I'll be honest with you. We were considering Fairmount until my friend's friend was shot and killed recently:

I realize it's a city and this stuff happens everywhere but I think it happening so close to home really made us reconsider this area

That was one of the most horrific acts of violence recently in Philadelphia. The general neighborhood is safe, but obviously crime can stray in, because there are some scary neighborhoods not so far away.

Abnormal to the general neighborhood, but I could understand your sentiments.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 AM

541 posts, read 252,588 times
Quote:

That was terrible, but it was an anomaly, too. Fairmount is nice, but it does border on some of the seedier parts of North Philly. In general, though, the whole area is getting nicer. I was talking to a friend of a friend who is kind of a local celebrity, and he said that he bought a really nice condo in Brewerytown (just north of Fairmount) and that real estate in that (formerly somewhat downtrodden) neighborhood is currently skyrocketing. He is someone who definitely has the means to live anywhere in the city, so that whole area is definitely on the upswing. It certainly behooves both the city and Temple to try to push the gentrification movement from Center City outward all the way to Temple's campus.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:08 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:

Whoa, you knew him?!

Well, wow, that does change it for you, I suppose.

All I can tell you is my own experience and what I observe.

I've lived in Spring Garden since 1995 when there were spots of sketchiness that no longer exist. I have never had anything happen to me. I'm an older adult. I'm a dedicated urban person and I walk or take pub trans all the time. I sold my car 3 years ago and no longer drive.

Where that crime happened isn't Fairmount. Fairmount is west of 20th St.

And, as I said there are a LOT of young children in Fairmount and you will have a lot of like-minded people around you.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Appears that happened just west of Broad St. Those couple blocks right next to Broad were always the worst. I assume that hasn't changed. Still, this kind of thing can happen anywhere, unfortunately.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
That was terrible, but it was an anomaly, too. Fairmount is nice, but it does border on some of the seedier parts of North Philly. In general, though, the whole area is getting nicer. I was talking to a friend of a friend who is kind of a local celebrity, and he said that he bought a really nice condo in Brewerytown (just north of Fairmount) and that real estate in that (formerly somewhat downtrodden) neighborhood is currently skyrocketing. He is someone who definitely has the means to live anywhere in the city, so that whole area is definitely on the upswing. It certainly behooves both the city and Temple to try to push the gentrification movement from Center City outward all the way to Temple's campus.
Hopefully it will "stick" this time wrt Brewerytown. There have been urban pioneer attempts at turning things around there going back to the 80s.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 AM

541 posts, read 252,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hopefully it will "stick" this time wrt Brewerytown. There have been urban pioneer attempts at turning things around there going back to the 80s.
After my conversation with this guy, I looked at some of the real estate in Brewerytown, and it looked like there were a bunch of new construction NoLibs style artsy/modern townhouse/condos that were going up to $500k each, so it looks like there are certainly developers with a stake in its success.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:08 AM

249 posts, read 175,967 times
Queen Village is an absolute gem of a neighborhood. Love it there.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
After my conversation with this guy, I looked at some of the real estate in Brewerytown, and it looked like there were a bunch of new construction NoLibs style artsy/modern townhouse/condos that were going up to $500k each, so it looks like there are certainly developers with a stake in its success.
That has been true for 15 years. But it's still sketchy and rundown looking. If you're willing to be an early adopter, you will get the biggest payback.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,390,380 times
Queen Village is arguably nicer (and as a result more congested) than Fairmount because it no longer borders seedy areas. Fairmount is nice itself, but it's gentrification is more recent than Queen Village. That shooting is very unfortunate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or