U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:51 AM

6,207 posts, read 3,046,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Looks like you have some good information in this thread. Given that you are looking to explore other parts of the city, you may find the below safety map to be a good reference. As has been said, there are large areas in North, West, and Southwest Philly that you should avoid, but many areas that are perfectly safe (aside from Center City). I will note that while large portions of North Philly are ghetto, I've never had issues taking the Broad St line through those areas. just dont get off at the wrong stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...C0.181103&z=13
I guess I'd just qualify this by saying that during the day, even many parts of the city others have told you to avoid completely aren't all that dangerous. Most of the violent stuff happens after the sun sets, and in lower-income neighborhoods, usually, the crime that occurs takes place between people who know each other (one another). Your odds of getting robbed during the day are also lower because (a) there are lots more people on the street (b) the folks looking to rob some random stranger are probably in town, where the potential returns are greater. Chances are you won't get hassled during the day even in the worst parts of the city (cf. anecdote above about house tour near Huntingdon* station; btw, the house was about four blocks from one of the encampments, and there is another on Kensington Avenue itself, beneath both the El and the railroad. Again, one block in this town can make a huge difference.

(Another relevant anecdotal aside: About six months after he moved in, I chatted with my next-door neighbor about his experience living on this block. He told me that he had moved up from a "safer" neighborhood where his car got broken into frequently. It hadn't happened once in the six months since he moved up to my block.)

Note, though, that the days are getting shorter. (And I'll still qualify that with the observation that none of the friends I've invited to my place, white or black, have had anything untoward happen to them, no matter what time they visited. The sole exceptions are a friend who went out looking to score something and found trouble instead and my boyfriend, who left his bike chained to the wooden side railing on my front porch and didn't come back for it for at least three days, at which point someone had made off with the bike and two of the railing slats.)

*I got the station wrong in my original telling. Huntingdon is the one to the south of the railroad viaduct. Somerset is to its north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Maybe I'm delusional but some folks on this board are snowflakes.
From your mouth to God's ears.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 AM

3,043 posts, read 1,048,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Maybe I'm delusional but some folks on this board are snowflakes.

How is that my 100 year old aunt, who has lived in the some not so nice parts of W. Philly most of her life, come through it without harm?

And the Wagner Inst is worth the trip. Fascinating place.
Your Aunt, no matter how old she is, does not and cannot represent an entire city. I lived in junkie heaven in New York for years unscathed. Some of my neighbors weren't so lucky. Desperate people do desperate things, especially in poorer neighborhoods and the thing about Philly is if you don't know where you're going, you can be in one of those neighborhoods in the blink of an eye. More so than any other city I've lived in.

Warning people about neighborhoods is not being a snowflake, it's using common sense.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 AM

541 posts, read 252,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Sorry OP. Everyone in this thread misinterpreted your request, and basically told you to avoid anyplace where black people live. Don't go north, or west, or Southwest, or parts of South. In fact, just avoid Philly and go to Manhatten. Or Boston. #sad
Why does it always have to be racial with some people? I don't care about race, I included areas that are dangerous and blighted, not just black. If there is a lot of overlap between the two, maybe the black community needs to examine the reasons why and fix it. I would also include neighborhoods like Kensington in the "places to avoid in Philly" that are dangerous but not particularly black.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,334,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Why does it always have to be racial with some people? I don't care about race, I included areas that are dangerous and blighted, not just black. If there is a lot of overlap between the two, maybe the black community needs to examine the reasons why and fix it. I would also include neighborhoods like Kensington in the "places to avoid in Philly" that are dangerous but not particularly black.
You made it racial, by including every area where black people live as unsafe and to be avoided, even though you were really, really wrong.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:14 AM

23,575 posts, read 10,775,413 times
Just look at a violent crime map of Philly. Stay out of those areas. There used to be an interactive one published each years, but I can't locate it for whatever reason.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:15 AM

23,575 posts, read 10,775,413 times
Quote:
You made it racial, by including every area where black people live as unsafe and to be avoided, even though you were really, really wrong.
Are those areas also the ones with the highest crime rates, especially violent crime?

Old 09-16-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Just look at a violent crime map of Philly. Stay out of those areas. There used to be an interactive one published each years, but I can't locate it for whatever reason.
Thanks, but I already got him. It's just not that, pardon me, black and white.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 PM

23,167 posts, read 28,579,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, he didn't say how long he was visiting.

Generally speaking, I agree with your basic statement about where to focus if you're only here a day or two, but the longer your visit, the more I'd encourage you to explore the city beyond the center. And since the OP says he's comfortable using mass transit, I'd like to offer him some destinations he can ride to. (Yeah, he might end up taking a bus across Center City, or even the El, but I suspect that won't happen.)

Of which speaking: One of those destinations is in one of those neighborhoods people usually warn visitors away from. But I've not heard of anyone having problems visiting it when it's open, which is during the day. It's at once an education and a trip into the Wayback Machine:

Wagner Free Institute of Science (1700 W. Montgomery Avenue)
I discovered the Wagner Free Institute while doing research on that neighborhood. I haven't been, but want to go. I stumbled on the institute & Mr Wagner while researching the history of that area, in connection to some distant relatives in the late 19th century. (He was still alive & the neighborhood houses were twins.)

Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 PM

23,167 posts, read 28,579,960 times
Quote:
Huh? Two people made requests in the same time period. Several people got this confused with the guy who wanted places to go for one day only. It's plainly in the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or