U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 03:58 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,054,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Big agree. For some reason, they see anything wider than a traditional "city" street as license to develop it as a large, parking lot-fronted, retail mecca. I'm reminded of my least favorite of these, Baltimore Pike in the Clifton Heights and Springfield areas. Just ugly.
But by then, you've left the city.

It's all suburban development around Baltimore Pike.

Now, if Baltimore Avenue looked like that, we'd have a problem.

But there is a huge strip mall on Baltimore Avenue between 56th and 58th.

Part of the problem stems from a failure of imagination on the part not of the city, but of developers, who bought the suburban notion that the car should have pride of place when it came to accessing retail stores. You will find some suburban shopping districts, such as Chestnut Hill, Collingswood, or Ardmore, don't lack for off-street parking, but it's all located in lots behind the street-facing stores. Those "Main Street"-style suburban shopping centers kinda-sorta represent the developers figuring out that people like this sort of thing. "Kinda-sorta" because the Main Street in these becomes an isolated island surrounded by a parking lot, much like a shopping mall.

Of course, if they actually tried to put the stores on the nearby main street, it would be a monumental fail, for the actual main street is a four- to six-lane highway with wide travel lanes and no curbside parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanis149 View Post
or Cottman west of the boulevard. That entire area is just one big strip mall
Which may explain the disdain for the Northeast among those living outside it, for that area is Northeast Philadelphia's "downtown." I for one would prefer to shop in an actual one.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:31 AM

288 posts, read 162,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I think the most progress has been made on Girard near Brewerytown but even Girard near Fishtown is pretty "meh." It seems like part of the problem has been the City's failure to fight quasi suburban development (strip malls, fast food with drive throughs etc.) in otherwise urban neighborhoods. These places always serve to attract the homeless and always look bleak in urban settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Big agree. For some reason, they see anything wider than a traditional "city" street as license to develop it as a large, parking lot-fronted, retail mecca. I'm reminded of my least favorite of these, Baltimore Pike in the Clifton Heights and Springfield areas. Just ugly.

@Sandy, or anyone else who may know - an example by me is Front & Girard. There is a 7-eleven, Dollar Tree, strip club and McD's with a parking lot and drive-thru, all within 500 feet of the Front St. station. What would it take to remove them as tenants and redevelop their lots? These lots scream for high-density development.

This past Saturday, I was part of a group of local civic-minded people who hosted Clarke, Perri, and a host of other city officials on a walking tour of the area and Front & Girard was one of the stops. They got to see the filth and trash firsthand. Will anything come of it? Not sure yet. But it was good for them to see it and to hear our concerns about it.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,336,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
@Sandy, or anyone else who may know - an example by me is Front & Girard. There is a 7-eleven, Dollar Tree, strip club and McD's with a parking lot and drive-thru, all within 500 feet of the Front St. station. What would it take to remove them as tenants and redevelop their lots? These lots scream for high-density development.
Remove them as tenants? There's almost nothing you can do. If the zoning in place supported those types of businesses when they opened up, then there's not much you can do unless they are breaking the law in some way.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Remove them as tenants? There's almost nothing you can do. If the zoning in place supported those types of businesses when they opened up, then there's not much you can do unless they are breaking the law in some way.
The 7-Eleven and the Mickey D's probably aren't tenants, as they occupy freestanding structures on their lots. The McD's is of the 1970s design.

The only way to evict an owner of a property is to buy it.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 PM

4,451 posts, read 1,692,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Which may explain the disdain for the Northeast among those living outside it, for that area is Northeast Philadelphia's "downtown." I for one would prefer to shop in an actual one.
I have to go to Roosevelt mall for clothes shopping as s big and tall man because Torres is gone from broad and philly. The dxl store on 24th and Oregon has nothing to small
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or