U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 10:42 AM

58 posts, read 161,477 times

Advertisements

We have made several trips to explore areas on the Mainline and have narrowed the areas we like to Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Ardmore. My husband will be taking the Amtrak train from Ardmore to Elizabethtown a few days a week so we want to stay within a 5-10 minute drive to Ardmore train station. We are looking at private schools for our kids but still want to be in an excellent school district in case we do end up going public. Are their particular neighborhoods you can recommend within these towns that are very walkable and close to the downtown amenities? Housing budget is up to 1.4 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lak29 View Post
We have made several trips to explore areas on the Mainline and have narrowed the areas we like to Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Ardmore. My husband will be taking the Amtrak train from Ardmore to Elizabethtown a few days a week so we want to stay within a 5-10 minute drive to Ardmore train station. We are looking at private schools for our kids but still want to be in an excellent school district in case we do end up going public. Are their particular neighborhoods you can recommend within these towns that are very walkable and close to the downtown amenities? Housing budget is up to 1.4 million.
I grew up in Haverford. Ardmore and Haverford are split between two school districts: Haverford Twp SD and Lower Merion SD. Bryn Mawr is split between three school districts: Haverford, Lower Merion and Radnor.

I went to Haverford SD schools from 1st-12th grades. All are excellent except Lower Merion and Radnor seem to get higher ratings.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM

58 posts, read 161,477 times
Op here--thank you. And sorry for the typos in the original post!

Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 AM

35 posts, read 31,260 times
Is he sure he will always take the train from Ardmore? Lots of folks will take regional rail to 30th and transfer there, or (if in Bala/Merion/ Wynnewood area) drive to 30th. There are many more trains to be caught at 30th. This would open up several additional neighborhoods for consideration.

If you’re set on commuting via Ardmore (and there are many who do this), a 5-10 min radius around the station will not be that big of an area, given traffic. In any case, all of these neighborhoods are fine and availability in your price range will drive things as much as anything, I’d expect.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 31,260 times
My apologies, I see he’s going west!

In that case, I think a 5-15 minute commute to the Ardmore train station is a reasonable thing to ask for from your realtor.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:21 PM

541 posts, read 252,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lak29 View Post
Given your budget, you'll be able to afford any area at all. I'd try looking in the area around Morris Ave between New Gulph & Old Gulph Road in Bryn Mawr (near Bryn Mawr College).

Old 09-21-2018, 06:19 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Given your budget, you'll be able to afford any area at all. I'd try looking in the area around Morris Ave between New Gulph & Old Gulph Road in Bryn Mawr (near Bryn Mawr College).
Also OP, Bryn Mawr has terrific institutions: Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr Hospital, Bryn Mawr Film Institute, Luddington Memorial Library, Bryn Mawr Trust Co.

I live in the city but I still go that library since I grew up with it. I also continue to bank with BMTCo. It's probably the oldest, independently owned, community bank in the region. The fact that it hasn't been a target for take over by a bigger bank is remarkable, imo. It survived the financial crisis of a decade ago.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:23 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
With a budget of $1.5m, you can have your pick of just about anywhere in Ardmore.

It's definitely the largest and liveliest of the three downtowns; Bryn Mawr comes in second. Haverford does have a small collection of shops near its train station but nothing I'd really call a "downtown."

In general, homes located south of Montgomery Avenue are in more walkable districts than those north of it, and houses south of Lancaster Avenue have lower price tags than those north of it. But neither of these are hard-and-fast rules; you can find exceptions to both. The two streets run fairly close to each other in the three communities in question.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 PM

70 posts, read 165,683 times
Two points to consider:

1. They're developing the lot directly behind Ardmore station, which a lot of commuters use in the AM, so parking will get tighter
2. Check with Amtrak to see if they even offer service from Ardmore to your husband's destination. I think the only two lines that stop in that area are the Keystone and the Pennsylvanian, and they may not pick up at Ardmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or