U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 PM

10,283 posts, read 5,946,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Agree 100%.
I do LOVE Milano though.

The Galleria! Teatro alla Scala, of which the Academy of Music's interior is a replica of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 05:43 AM

390 posts, read 171,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunguy13 View Post
You guys are crushing the Italian Americans....Why?
If you consider me saying italians "have a chip on their shoulder (which might be the opposite of pretentious)" as "crushing" them, maybe you have a chip on your shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I do LOVE Milano though. The Galleria! Teatro alla Scala, of which the Academy of Music's interior is a replica of.
Milan is the worst. The Duomo and the Galleria are cool, yes, but good Italian cities should provide more than an afternoon's worth of excitement. And oh yeah, the people there are jerks.

If anybody ever finds themself near Milan, visit Lake Como instead. Pop into Milan for a day to see the above sights and Da Vinci's Last Supper, and get the hell out.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:51 AM

26,454 posts, read 25,394,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Most people I know of Italian descent in Philly identify as "Americans", and their Italian background is no bid deal. Maybe I just know ones that are fourth, and fifth generation, but I never saw their "Italianess" be an issue. I think people in the Northeast in general can be a bit reserved, or pretentious, but it has nothing due to a chip on their shoulder about being Italian.
totally agree....there are also a lot of other nationalities within the area that you might find the same way. The northeast is known to be a people who are relatively way to busy to socialize at times, and stay within their cliches. So that might be misunderstood by outsiders. But I will say this, in a pinch, if someone needs help Philadelphia people step up to the plate.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:16 AM

10,283 posts, read 5,946,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post

Milan is the worst. The Duomo and the Galleria are cool, yes, but good Italian cities should provide more than an afternoon's worth of excitement. And oh yeah, the people there are jerks.

If anybody ever finds themself near Milan, visit Lake Como instead. Pop into Milan for a day to see the above sights and Da Vinci's Last Supper, and get the hell out.
Milan's survival depends on the fashion "industry". That's part of why they're jerks.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:55 AM

26,454 posts, read 25,394,764 times
30 years ago, we all sat on our porches in the summer time, and/or walked down the block and sat and visited each other, and talked....and yeah, my mom always baked a "company cake." If someone moved into the neighborhood, you'd take over a home baked cake, canned goods you made or a pie. LOL
I did that for a younger couple that moved in across the street from us, and LOL, to this day, they call me the crazy lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hv0...m9Eh4&index=10

so true

Old 09-20-2018, 01:24 PM

541 posts, read 253,218 times

Old 09-22-2018, 09:48 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,753,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunguy13 View Post
You guys are crushing the Italian Americans....Why?
Yes...as an Italian-American I find this topic offensive! Place another group as a target of this ridiculous assertion, and you'd find the ACLU on your doorstep. I guess I'll have to settle for a dead fish instead

Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM

3,059 posts, read 1,055,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Yes...as an Italian-American I find this topic offensive! Place another group as a target of this ridiculous assertion, and you'd find the ACLU on your doorstep. I guess I'll have to settle for a dead fish instead
I agree. Not sure what the point of this thread was to begin with.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:35 AM

20,082 posts, read 22,375,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marukai View Post
As the title states.... I'm inquiring about why the Italians in Philadelphia are so pretentious. I moved to Philly back and in March of 2018 from DC, which is pretentious, but in a regard to who graduated from GWU or GTU, West you drive. I consider myself to be a very cosmopolitan person, because I've lived in Guangzhou, Phnom Penh Cambodia, DC, Bmore, and many other area. I find the Italian Americans here to be very off putting, but in a way that I tell them off, because Philly and S Jersey is all that they know. They have never lived anywhere else, because they can't handle change or mommy and daddy foot the bill.

It’s called insecurity. I dealt with pretentious people my whole life. Here is my general experience with such types. The more pretentious they are the less money and more financial trouble they are in. I had applicants show up in S500s, 7 series etc, they look successful. Look at their finances I wouldn’t rent a shoebox to some of them. Sure there is a 3xceotuin to the rule...it’s about 10%
Anyway who cares? Just don’t associate with them. There are plenty of pretentious d-bags where I work. Always ready to tell you how well they are doing, how much money they are making and how great their life is. What’s funny is I really could care less about what they have or act like they have. Most of these people are so insecure they need to tell everyone how great they are doing. And ultimately I still don’t care.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,274,166 times
The original thread makes no sense, the OP sounds like he/she is not that fluent in English, and I don't know why anyone is spending time answering. I have grown up with Italians my whole life in Philly and they are anything but pretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or