U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:49 AM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I can reach Center city from Mount Washington in central Pittsburgh in 4. So yes, it is. Do it 12-15 times a year for nearly a decade and you know when to leave and not hit traffic.

Also, little geography lesson for you, since you seem to pretend you know this route better than me. Bensalem is exit 351 on the turnpike, 25 miles farther than the Philadelphia exit at 326. From Valley forge to the vine street exit is 16 miles, making the trip LONGER than to center city.

Valley Forge is exit 326, Pittsburgh is 57 so the turnpike length is 269 miles. 80 mph would take 3 hours and 20 mins. You can easily make it from downtown Pittsburgh yo the turnpike and the turnpike to center city with minimal traffic in 40 mintues shared.
You know that 276 is a breeze compared to the Surekill Distressway, which can be jam-packed on a Sunday afternoon. Case and point: even though it’s five miles longer, driving from Pitt to Wyndmoor in current traffic conditions via 309 and 276 takes around five minutes fewer than Pitt to Penn Valley.

I think my all-time record for getting from Oakland to Penn Valley (which still isn’t quite the city) is 4:15 in the dead of night. Granted, that was back when the Turnpike speed limit was still 65, so my highway driving probably averaged around 72. Up the average speed by 5mph and I can see getting there in four hours, or even slightly clearing it.

That’s not typical, however, and between the Parkway East and the Schuylkill, you’re almost always going to face some traffic at the very beginning and tail end. Traveling to Pittsburgh, I very rarely stayed on the highway past Edgewood/Swissvale. Traveling from Pittsburgh, I often had to exit the Schuylkill at Conshohocken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 10:57 AM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Yep, but it takes about 7 hours. It's brutal.

If money is not an issue, fly. It's a 20 minute train ride from PHL to Center City. Flying time is about 45minutes. If money is an issue, Drive or bus it. Pretty simple.
Agreed on the train not being worth it.

But unless you’re traveling on business and will be fully reimbursed for expenses, I still think that driving is better than flying (regardless of whether the typical drive time is closer to four hours or five).

In fairness though, depending on what you’re doing in the City, flying from PGH to Philly could be easier AND cheaper if you’re staying in Center City and have to pay for parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or