Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 908,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I'm going to generalize, and will list some caveats below, but I find the nightlife scene north of Philadelphia to be "off". The social scene seems more cliquish; people want to mingle among themselves instead of truly being social. Bars are judged on drinks and nachos instead of atmosphere.

As far as the nightlife hot spots within Philadelphia itself (Old City, Northern Liberties, Manayunk, Rittenhouse Square, even Xfinitiy Live if there's an event), it's lots of people having a big night out and going bonkers.

I'm not saying that the bars in the western Philadelphia suburbs (Media, West Chester, Main Line, Phoenixville) are as crazy as Philadelphia-proper, but it's definitely more lively and unpredictable than the northern suburbs.

Caveats:
1) I've never been to Doylestown
2) I grew up in the western suburbs, so I'm admittedly biased
By "western suburbs", I assume you mean Main Line? It probably has to do more with the number of colleges in the vicinity than anything else - obviously Villanova but also Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Cabrini, Eastern, and even West Chester & St Joe's aren't too far away from the Main Line. In the northern suburbs (i.e. Montco and Bucks), there aren't nearly as many schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 AM

409 posts, read 369,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
By "western suburbs", I assume you mean Main Line? It probably has to do more with the number of colleges in the vicinity than anything else - obviously Villanova but also Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Cabrini, Eastern, and even West Chester & St Joe's aren't too far away from the Main Line. In the northern suburbs (i.e. Montco and Bucks), there aren't nearly as many schools.
Your theory is entirely plausible, and I say, likely.

I already listed what I consider the western suburb hotspots to be (Media, West Chester, Main Line, Phoenixville); it's more than just the Main Line itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia