Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:47 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,594 times

Advertisements

I think G is a good captain. But there is consistent coaching issues. And, it seems that certain players just do not play well together. But not many roster changes occur from 1 year to the next it seems.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:34 PM

311 posts, read 313,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Oy Vey. I took the Red Arrow trolley to both parades in the 70's. The Flyers as a franchise have lost their way it seems. I never thought Claude was a leader. Great player, during the regular season, then disappears in the playoffs. I don't have much hope for them, nor the Sillies.
The Phillies are a lost cause with their joke of management.
I do see some hope for the Flyers, though. If they could have completed one of the most magical sports runs ever in 2010, I think the mood would be a lot different but obviously as it stands the Flyers are Cupless for 43 years and counting.
I think people always sorta compared Claude with Crosby and that hurt him but I see your point. Watching the Flyers-Penguins series last year, though, the overall talent gap between the teams was quite apparent. And that was probably a weaker Pens team than the previous couple years.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
The new Flyers mascot, "Gritty", looks like a Muppet on METH! lol!

Old 10-07-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The new Flyers mascot, "Gritty", looks like a Muppet on METH! lol!
I am not a fan of Gritty

Old 10-08-2018, 04:26 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Ah, my mistake. Someone on facebook told me it was the home opener. I wondered, due to the later start time. Thanks.

Just curious. What is it about the Flyers that made you a fan? Were you once from the Philly area?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally, I would watch them on TV. But, unless you buy the NHL package, it is hard to follow a team. I used to watch hockey on and off, but you really couldn't watch the same team very often. The Flyers are on NBC a lot, and they used to be the Versus Channel (noe NBC Sports).

Anyway, I watched them on and off over the years on TV. And the year they played Chicago in the Stanley Cup Final, I watched every playoff game. After that year, I started to buy the NHL package and watch them exclusively. After that, I started to go to the carnivals in Philadelphia for five years straight. That was awesome to meet the players and get autographs.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go to the last two years because it gets pretty expensive to pay for the flight, the hotel, the tickets and all the items that I used to bring to get autographed.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,221 times
Flyers fan here (see screen name). I like Simmonds, JVR, and Voracek, but the last time I really had a favorite Flyer was Danny Briere. IMO, Pilot hit the nail on the head - Claude is abysmal in the post-season. I first became a fan during the 86/87 season, and hence my favorite player of all time is our current GM, Ron Hextall. I really thought that getting Hextall here would be great, I thought he would do what he did for the Kings and it would be phenomenal. But...

Goalies win Cups. And we've had three marquee goalies since the franchise began - Bernie Parent (70s), Pelle Lindbergh (80s), and Ron Hextall (80s). That's it. In my opinion, it's why we've come close, but haven't been able to seal the deal, since.

Incidentally, my husband and I are going to the home opener tomorrow night. Games are not the same as they were at the Spectrum back in the day, but we try to get to at least one every season. They're so damn expensive, one is usually all we can do!

Last edited by Flyers Girl; 10-08-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-08-2018, 02:13 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Originally, I would watch them on TV. But, unless you buy the NHL package, it is hard to follow a team. I used to watch hockey on and off, but you really couldn't watch the same team very often. The Flyers are on NBC a lot, and they used to be the Versus Channel (noe NBC Sports).

Anyway, I watched them on and off over the years on TV. And the year they played Chicago in the Stanley Cup Final, I watched every playoff game. After that year, I started to buy the NHL package and watch them exclusively. After that, I started to go to the carnivals in Philadelphia for five years straight. That was awesome to meet the players and get autographs.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go to the last two years because it gets pretty expensive to pay for the flight, the hotel, the tickets and all the items that I used to bring to get autographed.
Through the years I have met many hockey players and am friends with several players and execs. None from the Flyers but will tell you most NHL guys have a lot of class, not that other sports do not.
At this point my favorite team is the Calgary Flames. Will go see them when they play the Flyers, the Capitols and the 3 North Jersey, NY teams, and make a trip to see them in Calgary. I do however split a season ticket package with two other parties for the Flyers.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:02 PM

That is pretty cool. Sounds like you've met several cool players.

I got to see home Flyers games on three separate occasions, the day before the carnivals I attended.

On the last 2 Carnivals, the games the day before the event were out of town. So, I didn't get to see a home game. But, I did catch a puck from the ice during my last home Flyers game. That was really cool.

I have met Giroux 4x, Jagr 2x (once in Philly and once in Dallas), Simmonds 2x, and many other players.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:54 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Not a hockey fan but I saw that new Flyers mascot and all I can say is WTF? Why'd they go for something that lame? The Philly Fanatic is top tier, Swoops is cool, but that thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia