U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Philly look to add a third subway line?
Yes, it would be a good long-term goal 28 53.85%
Yes, get on it right away 16 30.77%
No, it's not necessary 3 5.77%
No, it's not feasible 3 5.77%
Wouldn't really matter either way 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:33 AM

23,613 posts, read 10,782,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So we should exclude the PATCO as being a Philly subway line because it doesn't service the city the way you want it to? Seems like this is "feelings over facts" again.
PATCO is for people from Jersey to get to Philly and back. It is not an intra Philly subway line. Look at the system map. Most of it is in Jersey.

PATCO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 07:36 AM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Philadelphians wishing they had a 3rd subway line while stubbornly ignoring the fact that they already have it.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
PATCO is for people from Jersey to get to Philly and back. It is not an intra Philly subway line. Look at the system map. Most of it is in Jersey.

PATCO
The MFL isn't an intra Philly subway line either because it also serves Delaware County. You can't have it both ways. If the PATCO is excluded then so is the MFL.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:41 AM

23,613 posts, read 10,782,374 times
Quote:
The MFL isn't an intra Philly subway line either because it also serves Delaware County. You can't have it both ways. If the PATCO is excluded then so is the MFL.
What? Look at the system map. How many stops are in Delco? The MFL is the "El" not the "Subway".

SEPTA | Market-Frankford Line Map

Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 AM

239 posts, read 139,262 times
Quote:
That strikes me as an apples / oranges comparison. I think the difference is in the majority makeup of the service area and the way it's used. Yes, the MFL has two stops in Delaware County, but every other station is located in Philadelphia. It's almost exclusively an intra-Philly service line. No one is going to use the MFL just to go from 69th street to Millbourne, for example.

Conversely, yes, while PATCO has a couple of stops in Philly, every other station is in Jersey. And no one in Philly is really going to use PATCO just to go from 9th to 16th street, for example.

Frankly, I really don't care if people want to include PATCO or not, but I don't think you can compare it to the MFL in any meaningful way.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:06 AM

1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Quote:
Philadelphians wishing they had a 3rd subway line while stubbornly ignoring the fact that they already have it.
You're being ridiculous. Does anybody in Philadelphia use it to get from one point in the city to another? No. It's a commuter line for South Jersey people to get to Philadelphia and back out again. It doesn't count because it serves 9-5 commuters and the Friday/Saturday night crowd, that's pretty much it. The actual BSL and MFL lines serve to get city people from city point A to city point B all day/every day. Why is that so difficult to comprehend? I've lived in Philadelphia for 5 years now and have never once used PATCO. I use the BSL every day and the MFL frequently because they are subway lines for the city, not commuter lines for suburbanites.

Nobody in New York counts PATH as a subway line the way you are, and they have 4 lines. It's the EXACT same thing.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:28 AM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You're being ridiculous. Does anybody in Philadelphia use it to get from one point in the city to another? No. It's a commuter line for South Jersey people to get to Philadelphia and back out again. It doesn't count because it serves 9-5 commuters and the Friday/Saturday night crowd, that's pretty much it. The actual BSL and MFL lines serve to get city people from city point A to city point B all day/every day. Why is that so difficult to comprehend? I've lived in Philadelphia for 5 years now and have never once used PATCO. I use the BSL every day and the MFL frequently because they are subway lines for the city, not commuter lines for suburbanites.

Nobody in New York counts PATH as a subway line the way you are, and they have 4 lines. It's the EXACT same thing.
I live in Philadephia and use PATCO whenever I travel to New Jersey, just as I use PATH when traveling from a friend's place outside Newark to New York.

That the number of core city residents who use it to get around the city is small doesn't make it not a subway. That term refers to its physical and operating characteristics, not who rides it and why. All of the Second Subway Era systems, plus Boston's newer lines, serve a commuter function along with the circulator one (some of the lines are primarily commuter routes), and using your metric, BART isn't a subway at all, because most San Franciscans don't use the one line that goes through the city to get around it. (Yes, there's Oakland, but that's the secondary core city even if it has more BART service than San Fran does, it being the hub of the system.)

That's why you keep getting pushback from us transit geeks.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:17 AM

1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I live in Philadephia and use PATCO whenever I travel to New Jersey, just as I use PATH when traveling from a friend's place outside Newark to New York.

That the number of core city residents who use it to get around the city is small doesn't make it not a subway. That term refers to its physical and operating characteristics, not who rides it and why. All of the Second Subway Era systems, plus Boston's newer lines, serve a commuter function along with the circulator one (some of the lines are primarily commuter routes), and using your metric, BART isn't a subway at all, because most San Franciscans don't use the one line that goes through the city to get around it. (Yes, there's Oakland, but that's the secondary core city even if it has more BART service than San Fran does, it being the hub of the system.)

That's why you keep getting pushback from us transit geeks.
If it doesn't serve the function of primarily or usefully transporting people from point to point in the city, then I don't count it. It may technically be a rapid transit subway line, but it serves almost exclusively suburban commuters, not city residents. It's purpose of transportation is essentially the same as Regional Rail, not the MFL or BSL.

If it makes you happy, fine, it's technically a rapid transit line. But it is one that is almost totally useless for people who actually live/work in Philadelphia, which is what really matters far past the technicalities. Nobody in Philadelphia rides it to get around Philadelphia just as nobody rides PATH in New York to get around New York.

So I stand by my statement that Philly only has 2 subway lines (and a spur) that serve as intra-city transport. Counting it as a third subway line in the city is dishonest boosting. Nobody outside this forum counts it as such in layman terms.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:03 PM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
If it doesn't serve the function of primarily or usefully transporting people from point to point in the city, then I don't count it. It may technically be a rapid transit subway line, but it serves almost exclusively suburban commuters, not city residents. It's purpose of transportation is essentially the same as Regional Rail, not the MFL or BSL.

If it makes you happy, fine, it's technically a rapid transit line. But it is one that is almost totally useless for people who actually live/work in Philadelphia, which is what really matters far past the technicalities. Nobody in Philadelphia rides it to get around Philadelphia just as nobody rides PATH in New York to get around New York.

So I stand by my statement that Philly only has 2 subway lines (and a spur) that serve as intra-city transport. Counting it as a third subway line in the city is dishonest boosting. Nobody outside this forum counts it as such in layman terms.
Seriously: Don't be so certain about that.

I'm a transit geek, as my posting handle should make clear, but many lay folk do consider any rapid transit line serving a metropolitan center as a subway line, regardless of how it's used within the metro.

No Chicagoan would omit the Skokie Swift, for instance, from the list of Chicago metro/subway lines, even though it serves as a suburban feeder to the Red Line. Is it a line Chicagoans use to move around Chicago? Clearly not. Is it a line Chicagoans use to move around the region, and does it operate like rapid transit? Yes. Then it's not "commuter rail," even if that is its primary function.

Were the Regional Rail network to be converted to high-platform boarding with off-board fare collection (SEPTA Key takes care of the latter) and operated at 15-20 minute headways or less throughout the service day, many would consider it a "subway" or "metro" - it already has unusually close station spacing.

I could go on but won't right now.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:

When I used to live in the city, I would use the PATCO frequently to go to work in South Jersey. So it was certainly useful for me. It's no different than someone using the MFL to commute to Delaware County for work. Both the PATCO and the MFL both serve suburbanites.

As far as New York is concerned, PATH is rapid transit subway system that operates in NYC. Whether or not a New Yorker believes that PATH is a subway line doesn't really matter because it doesn't change the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or