Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Broad Street Line be extended to the Navy Yard?
Yes, it should be a significant immediate priority for the city 9 50.00%
Yes, it should be part of the city's long-term infrastructure plans 9 50.00%
No, there's no point 0 0%
No, it's not feasible 0 0%
Wait to see how the Navy Yard and city evolve 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:02 AM

311 posts, read 314,316 times

Advertisements

Currently the Broad Street Line has its southern terminus at NRG Station (formerly AT&T station), which is located by the South Philly sports complex.
Should the city look to actively extend the Broad Street Line to the Navy Yard as the area becomes an increasing business hub?
I know the idea has been floated before. Do the logistics make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 12:40 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Sure, why not. So I'd vote yes.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:17 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
I remember hearing a rumor years ago that they were considering an extension that “looped around” the stadiums and went along Columbus Boulevard. It would seem like a train to nowhere but it would be consistent with the city’s goal to develop “the other side” of I-95.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times
Yes, any expansion of our subway system should be an immediate priority; however, the BSL should also be extended northwest to Cheltenham and Ogontz Avenues. I'd argue that having a subway station off of a major transportation center, along one of the busiest bus routes (Route 6-Cheltenham-Ogontz to Olney TC via Ogontz Avenue), and next to PA 309 (with a large parking garage) would see much higher ridership numbers than a Navy Yard extension.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:05 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Yes, any expansion of our subway system should be an immediate priority; however, the BSL should also be extended northwest to Cheltenham and Ogontz Avenues. I'd argue that having a subway station off of a major transportation center, along one of the busiest bus routes (Route 6-Cheltenham-Ogontz to Olney TC via Ogontz Avenue), and next to PA 309 (with a large parking garage) would see much higher ridership numbers than a Navy Yard extension.
Where is the money coming from to do it though?

I genrally like a lot of your plans but funding seems to be conspicuously absent.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Keep in mind that expansions are few & far between. I remember when they expanded the Broad Street line to the Vet.

An expansion to the Navy yard could be an incentive to an employer. You're probably right that a northern extension would serve more people but an extension to the Navy yard is probably more concrete.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Keep in mind that expansions are few & far between. I remember when they expanded the Broad Street line to the Vet.

An expansion to the Navy yard could be an incentive to an employer. You're probably right that a northern extension would serve more people but an extension to the Navy yard is probably more concrete.
Aker Shipyard, Urban Outfitters and GlaxoSmith are at the NY now plus additional companies. So, it probably is needed.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Where is the money coming from to do it though?

I genrally like a lot of your plans but funding seems to be conspicuously absent.
1. Get serious about collecting back property taxes from deadbeat landlords.

2. Today’s Inquirer reports on the front page that the city has a surplus of over $750M in this year’s general fund.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
1. Get serious about collecting back property taxes from deadbeat landlords.

2. Today’s Inquirer reports on the front page that the city has a surplus of over $750M in this year’s general fund.
Mmmmm, when has transit funding ever come from local property taxes? Not saying I disagree with you just pointing it out.

Personally I want schools fixed and whatever it takes to do that. That, imo, is a crucial priority for the city's future.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:08 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
I'm just going to throw this out there: Amazon HQ2 at the Navy Yard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia