Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What if Wentz is perpetually injury prone like he was through college, and his entire time with the Eagles? Nate Sudfeld?
He doesn't have that franchise look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
He doesn't have that franchise look
When he was healthy last season, he was a candidate to be league MVP, and deservedly so. Then he got hurt, and Foles took them the rest of the season, through the playoffs, and Super Bowl, and was Super Bowl MVP. Then this year the same thing almost happened again. If a play had gone another way, they may still be in it. This same team, floundered with Wentz. Why? Shows me risk.

The NFL is a business, as a businessman I make decisions using statistics, probability, experience, trends, and judgment, and evaluating RISK vs reward. What I see here is a trend with Wentz, and not a good one. On the flip side I see Foles as proven, and that would definitely play into my decision to keep the proven asset purely from a business perspective.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
When he was healthy last season, he was a candidate to be league MVP, and deservedly so. Then he got hurt, and Foles took them the rest of the season, through the playoffs, and Super Bowl, and was Super Bowl MVP. Then this year the same thing almost happened again. If a play had gone another way, they may still be in it. This same team, floundered with Wentz. Why? Shows me risk.

The NFL is a business, as a businessman I make decisions using statistics, probability, experience, trends, and judgment, and evaluating RISK vs reward. What I see here is a trend with Wentz, and not a good one. On the flip side I see Foles as proven, and that would definitely play into my decision to keep the proven asset purely from a business perspective.

i was referring to the 3rd string, nate sufield

Old 01-15-2019, 11:37 AM

1,385 posts, read 908,442 times
Quote:

Foles is far from a proven commodity as a full time NFL starter. In fact, when given the chance to be a full time starter, he's been average one year (2014) and awful one year (2015). He was terrific as a backup replacing the starter in Philly in 2013, terrific as a backup replacing the starter in 2017, and very good as a backup replacing the starter in 2018. That seems to be the role he thrives in, and there clearly IS risk in putting the pressure of full time starter on him once again next year.

I don't mean to disparage what Foles has done in Philly. He is forever a legend in Philly sports, and very deservedly so, for what he has accomplished, but just from the perspective of "statistics, probability, experience, trends, and judgment, and evaluating RISK vs reward" as you say, you have to look at it objectively and unbiased.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:53 AM

eagles announced wentz is the starter next season

Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Absolutely routing for this year's SB underdogs, the Rams.

So glad they are back in LA where they belong!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
They don't have to. Everyone is looking at Foles's $20m mutual option for next year saying they can't afford that for a backup, but Wentz is only making $6m (still on his rookie contract), and paying $26m total for the top 2 QBs on a team really isn't unreasonable, so they could in theory afford to bring Foles back next year. The choice is more up to him (since it's a mutual option). If he wants to leave to try to be a starter on a bad team again (which he did once and failed), then he'll get the $20m from someone else and start. But he's 29, he's done it once, and he is comfortable here in this system and achieved the highest goal you can achieve (Super Bowl MVP) as a backup here. I don't think it's necessarily certain that he would choose to leave again, either. Foles is different than most other athletes I've seen. He's much more humble and grounded than other athletes or stars in whatever field. If anyone would choose not to seek glory elsewhere, it would be him.
Will Nick Foles stay with the Philadelphia Eagles? - Story | WTXF

Quote:
Reports are circulating that Nick Foles option is expected to be picked up by the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles are expected to exercise the $20 million option. Foles would then remain an Eagle for the 2019 season.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:17 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I think they are picking up his trade option for leverage in trying to get something for him. However, I would really like to see him stay an Eagle.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:07 PM

The Eagles DID pick up his option, basically offering a backup $20m. That really says something about how much they value him. He declined it, though, to look for a full time starting job. Good luck, Nick, you will forever be a Philly legend.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:57 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The Eagles DID pick up his option, basically offering a backup $20m. That really says something about how much they value him. He declined it, though, to look for a full time starting job. Good luck, Nick, you will forever be a Philly legend.
They picked up his option so they could trade him and get hopefully an early 3rd round draft pick. Nick opted out and now franchise tag, so again, they can trade him. Had nothing to do with how much they value him. Hopefully we trade him out of conference though. Would hate to see NY get him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia