Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,724 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Need help here, I will be moving from Raleigh to Landsdale for a job with big pharma. My job is located in landsdale but I am trying to live in Philly. Do you guys think it will be possible to commute from fishtown area to Landsdale daily. I will be making around 47k so and having a really difficult time trying to find a budget.

Any advice I am 23 btw and I would like to be around the city. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,454,131 times
That'd be a gruesome commute. You'd have to drive, and it'd be about an hour each way. Plus, any of the routes you'd be using (Schuylkill Expressway, PA Tpk, I95) are either smooth sailing or, more frequently, congested. The variability and uncertainty alone would be a deal-breaker for me.

If you want the city vibe then maybe Manayunk would be a better location. You'd probably still have to use the Schuylkill, but you would be on the other/west side of the city (and closer to Landsdale).

And to further dampen your spirit: parking in both Manayunk and Fishtown can be problematic.

It might be helpful if you give a bit more detail about why Fishtown appealed to you. There are probably other 'hoods that have some or all of what you're looking for, and some of them might give you more favorable commuting times.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:45 PM

712 posts, read 696,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan112794 View Post
Hey Guys,

Need help here, I will be moving from Raleigh to Landsdale for a job with big pharma. My job is located in landsdale but I am trying to live in Philly. Do you guys think it will be possible to commute from fishtown area to Landsdale daily. I will be making around 47k so and having a really difficult time trying to find a budget.

Any advice I am 23 btw and I would like to be around the city. Thanks for the input.
You’ll hate your life if you try to commute to Lansdale from Fishtown. During rush hour you’re looking at 1hr 15min minimum commute time and it could easily take 90+ minutes. Manayunk would be a much better option. Lots of people your age and a much more manageable commute. From Manayunk you can get to Landsdale via surface streets and the PA 309 expressway or I476 and avoid the Schuylkill Expressway and 95 entirely.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:56 PM

3,077 posts, read 1,552,626 times
As a 23 year old, I understand the appeal of Fishtown but the commute would be rough. A better commute situation might be from Conshohocken via the PA turnpike to Lansdale. Conshohocken has a young adult vibe -- restaurants, cafes, a beer garden and fun local events. Not sure the rents compare with Fishtown, probably higher, but if you lived in Fishtown you would pay a city wage tax.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:10 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,098,351 times
Get a nice apartment in the general area of Upper Gwynedd Township (where Merck is located). Visit Philly on the weekends. Otherwise you'll be a nervous wreck from commuting every day either by car or SEPTA.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 PM

3,077 posts, read 1,552,626 times
I did a lot of commuting when I was young; center city via public transportation (bus; frankford el to center city and then walked a few blocks); driving down 95 South into center city and driving from Bucks County PA to Mt. Holly, Nj. Never really had a local commute. So different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:43 PM

7,251 posts, read 10,505,754 times
One option to look into is whether there's a shuttle connection running from the Lansdale regional rail station to your place of employment. In that case, you could conceivably reverse commute on the train from Philadelphia (although that would of course depend on your proximity/connections to the train line in the city, as well). From Fishtown, there'd certainly be a transfer involved. May be more time consuming than driving, but likely less stressful.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 AM

409 posts, read 365,520 times
Consider Phoenixville. It’s the only town near Landsdale that has nightlife and low cost of living. Doylestown and King of Prussia are also options, but more expensive.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,318,876 times
Is it Merck? If you live in Phily you'll be paying an est. 4% city wage tax on top of the PA state tax, and on top of the commute. If you're bent on driving but prefer a more "urban" vibe you can try Ambler, or Doylestown (from where you can take SEPTA regional rail into North Wales, or the train to Lansdale and a bus or shuttle if the company has one).

Old 10-17-2018, 03:02 PM

56 posts, read 35,499 times
I would echo the other comments made about the commute. I think they are actually being generous and would bet on a 2 hr commute each way (Lansdale/Fishtown) during peak traffic! Merck (definitely your company) is a massive employer and you'll have a decent opportunity to talk to others your age about where they live/work/party --could even find a roommate.

I would throw Norristown/Bridgeport in the mix, just because you are young and don't have a family. It is a little gritty like Fishtown, has a commuter rail connection to Philly, and is by far the cheapest option you will have for rent. You could save a lot of money living there compared to some other suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia