U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Your 115 figure must include barber colleges, auto mechanics colleges and so on. In the Commonwealth of PA, there are 129 4 year degree granting colleges and universities. How can 115 of them be in Philly?


Four Year Colleges in Pennsylvania
That 115 number is probably representative of the Phila. metro which includes parts of S. Jersey and northern Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: The City of Brotherly Love
1,143 posts, read 811,104 times
Reputation: 2860
Welcome to one of America's greatest cities!

I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area, with my childhood being split between Delco and West Philly (where I'm from). As of May of this year, I am a proud alumnus of Temple University! I graduated with my BBA in Finance from the Fox School of Business, a top 50 undergrad and graduate business school. After spending some time at colleges in the Lehigh Valley, I realized that I wanted to live in the city after college. I ultimately decided to go with Temple due to its strong Philly-based alumni network, beautiful campus, connectivity to SEPTA and Center City, the facilities offered by Fox (multiple Bloomberg terminals, the Capital Markets Room, the CSPD, etc), and the fact that Fox is a top 50 business school--the presence of D1 football, Temple's party scene, and the fact that the student body seems less pretentious than other area colleges were all secondary considerations.

A little more than five months later, I'm EXTREMELY happy with my choice to attend Temple! Not only did I initially have a position lined up before graduation, but I'm still getting requests to interview for companies who recognize that I haven't even stayed at my position for six months. I knew that I wanted to live in the city post-graduation, and I have no plans to ever leave it (I will never move to the suburbs). I've done extensive domestic traveling, and I'm preparing to significantly increase my international travels starting in December; nevertheless, after seeing so much of the country (and parts of the world), I have found my little slice of heaven here in Philly. Although I'm only 23, my ultimate goal is to buy a house and raise kids here (Fishtown, Spruce Hill Queen Village, Manayunk, and other neighborhoods are great options).

Best of luck with everything! I'm still deciding on where (and when) to go for either my MBA or MS in Finance/Investments/Financial Systems/Financial Engineering. I'm also going to pursue my CFA starting in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 AM
 
9,072 posts, read 16,890,636 times
Reputation: 6896
Drexel '02

Finance and Economics

The school has changed a lot since then

I really enjoyed my time in Philly, but it wasn't for me long term

Drexel has a strong regional reach and I made fantastic connections in the area and my final co-op was outstanding

However, I lost a lot of that leverage by moving out of the area to Minneapolis.

After a year in MN I moved to Phoenix - enough transplants here where the name isn't completely foreign. Interviewed and was hired on by a company with operations in NJ that was opening a western branch.

The administration was a nightmare when I was there - was actually removed from enrollment and kicked out of school while actively in their study abroad program - I had no idea until I came home and student loan companies were all over me for the exit interview

All up I met some great people, had good experiences and grew as an individual and helped shape my career
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Welcome to one of America's greatest cities!

I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area, with my childhood being split between Delco and West Philly (where I'm from). As of May of this year, I am a proud alumnus of Temple University! I graduated with my BBA in Finance from the Fox School of Business, a top 50 undergrad and graduate business school. After spending some time at colleges in the Lehigh Valley, I realized that I wanted to live in the city after college. I ultimately decided to go with Temple due to its strong Philly-based alumni network, beautiful campus, connectivity to SEPTA and Center City, the facilities offered by Fox (multiple Bloomberg terminals, the Capital Markets Room, the CSPD, etc), and the fact that Fox is a top 50 business school--the presence of D1 football, Temple's party scene, and the fact that the student body seems less pretentious than other area colleges were all secondary considerations.

A little more than five months later, I'm EXTREMELY happy with my choice to attend Temple! Not only did I initially have a position lined up before graduation, but I'm still getting requests to interview for companies who recognize that I haven't even stayed at my position for six months. I knew that I wanted to live in the city post-graduation, and I have no plans to ever leave it (I will never move to the suburbs). I've done extensive domestic traveling, and I'm preparing to significantly increase my international travels starting in December; nevertheless, after seeing so much of the country (and parts of the world), I have found my little slice of heaven here in Philly. Although I'm only 23, my ultimate goal is to buy a house and raise kids here (Fishtown, Spruce Hill Queen Village, Manayunk, and other neighborhoods are great options).

Best of luck with everything! I'm still deciding on where (and when) to go for either my MBA or MS in Finance/Investments/Financial Systems/Financial Engineering. I'm also going to pursue my CFA starting in 2020.
There are a couple of posters, both transplants, on this board who don't think much of natives like you and me. In fact they believe we are a hindrance to the city because we lack "vision" or we don't love the city as much as they do and don't recognize how great it is. It's false and laughable, of course. One of them may leave for NY so that poster isn't really committed to the city.

Thank you for being very public about how you see your future. And thank you for being focused. And thank you for your positive energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There are a couple of posters, both transplants, on this board who don't think much of natives like you and me. In fact they believe we are a hindrance to the city because we lack "vision" or we don't love the city as much as they do and don't recognize how great it is. It's false and laughable, of course. One of them may leave for NY so that poster isn't really committed to the city.

Thank you for being very public about how you see your future. And thank you for being focused. And thank you for your positive energy.
You like being dramatic and over-the-top, don't you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 03:41 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,170 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Reputation: 9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You like being dramatic and over-the-top, don't you.
Actually, I thought that she was on the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, I thought that she was on the mark.
So just because someone chooses not to spend their entire life in one place or for a long/extended period of time makes them not committed or enthusiastic about the city? I don't think so. One has to go where the best opportunity lies, and that is not always in Philadelphia. I'm in my 20s and I have to keep on my feet, and for people of my generation, that often means hopping from place to place. Doesn't mean I think any less of Philadelphia.

And Karen is right, I think many native Philadelphians are this city's own worst enemy, especially when it comes toward perpetuating a negative image. It's not true across the board, but it's a pretty easily observed phenomenon amongst many who were born, raised, and never left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 03:06 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,170 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Reputation: 9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
So just because someone chooses not to spend their entire life in one place or for a long/extended period of time makes them not committed or enthusiastic about the city? I don't think so. One has to go where the best opportunity lies, and that is not always in Philadelphia. I'm in my 20s and I have to keep on my feet, and for people of my generation, that often means hopping from place to place. Doesn't mean I think any less of Philadelphia.

And Karen is right, I think many native Philadelphians are this city's own worst enemy, especially when it comes toward perpetuating a negative image. It's not true across the board, but it's a pretty easily observed phenomenon amongst many who were born, raised, and never left.
You seem to like to throw stones at the natives, in spite not knowing what's gone on since WWII. I told you before, sit down and talk to natives in real life.

You've made negative judgments about natives & longterm residents. Then when you say that you may leave, it opens you up to judgement. You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 07:11 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There are a couple of posters, both transplants, on this board who don't think much of natives like you and me. In fact they believe we are a hindrance to the city because we lack "vision" or we don't love the city as much as they do and don't recognize how great it is. It's false and laughable, of course. One of them may leave for NY so that poster isn't really committed to the city.

Thank you for being very public about how you see your future. And thank you for being focused. And thank you for your positive energy.
Your statement is not better though, it kind of proves MB's point... I of course do not think all natives lack vision, but historically the views of lifelong (usually older) residents in Philadelphia (rich or poor) tend to lack a vision for the city, they do not see Philadelphia as an elite city and condemn growth and change for various reasons, the biggest being "fear of the unknown".

But I do see your point, a 20s something comes to Philadelphia for 4 years to get a degree makes their comments and leaves... but that could happen in any city.

I spent 25 years of my life in the Philadelphia area, most of my family still lives in Media and will be there forever, I don't think I am any more or less committed to the city than you or someone who lives there. Opportunity took me to New York, none of us should be chastised for that.

Not getting on your case, just trying to show you our view on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
So just because someone chooses not to spend their entire life in one place or for a long/extended period of time makes them not committed or enthusiastic about the city? I don't think so. One has to go where the best opportunity lies, and that is not always in Philadelphia. I'm in my 20s and I have to keep on my feet, and for people of my generation, that often means hopping from place to place. Doesn't mean I think any less of Philadelphia.

And Karen is right, I think many native Philadelphians are this city's own worst enemy, especially when it comes toward perpetuating a negative image. It's not true across the board, but it's a pretty easily observed phenomenon amongst many who were born, raised, and never left.
I agree, I do not know many people who move somewhere at 25 and plant roots forever, times change, people move more often now, nothing personal.

Also, being a lifelong resident does not equal commitment to the city. Some of my friends who spent 5-7 years in the city (school+1 or 2 years post grad) had more of a positive impact on the city than Joe Steak from South Philly. They were involved with their university, their community, LGBT events, they praised Philadelphia to their friends and family all over the country, resulting in more people visiting, going to school here, and possibly moving here. I have at least 20 friends from school who fit in the category. I fit that category lol.

So what did lifelong resident Joe Steak do for the city?....

We all acknowledge the "negadelphia" attitude, not sure why people are suddenly offended by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 01:22 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree, I do not know many people who move somewhere at 25 and plant roots forever, times change, people move more often now, nothing personal.

Also, being a lifelong resident does not equal commitment to the city. Some of my friends who spent 5-7 years in the city (school+1 or 2 years post grad) had more of a positive impact on the city than Joe Steak from South Philly. They were involved with their university, their community, LGBT events, they praised Philadelphia to their friends and family all over the country, resulting in more people visiting, going to school here, and possibly moving here. I have at least 20 friends from school who fit in the category. I fit that category lol.

So what did lifelong resident Joe Steak do for the city?....

We all acknowledge the "negadelphia" attitude, not sure why people are suddenly offended by it.
Thank you for saying what I was trying to say more elegantly. I was in DelCo for 4 years, and have now been in the city over 4 years. I work in the city schools, with all the difficulties and the garbage pay. I could have gone elsewhere with much better conditions and higher pay, but I didn't. I stayed for what will be five years. Tell me how that isn't commitment? I voted in every election, rode SEPTA for 95% of my travel, and paid my taxes every 2 weeks. If you want to keep a city full of nothing but natives, go right ahead. We can go right back to Philadelphia circa 1991.

Notice how every time I posted I didn't say ALL natives. There are examples of ones on here who don't fit the mold at all. But to deny the fact that the attitude isn't pervasive amongst many natives is to deny reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top