Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:46 PM

68 posts, read 74,292 times

Advertisements

There are 115 colleges and universities in Philadelphia. Any alumni? Care to share your experience, degree or area of study, and if you stayed in the city after you graduated, or left and later returned?

I’m pursing a Master’s program at Saint Joseph’s University in 2019.

Looking forward to starting fall term with the leaves changing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:34 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Welcome.

I was born and raised in Media/ Upper Providence, PA (suburb of Philadelphia.

Attended and graduated from Drexel with degree in Construction Management.

I ended up moving to New York City after graduation and have been up here ever since. I had opportunities in Philadelphia, but being in the are my whole life I needed a change, and received some great offers up here. I also was in love with New York since I was a little kid, so its a perfect fit for me

I would still be happy in Philadelphia, many of my friends at Drexel stayed there after graduation, probably about 50%.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Welcome.

I was born and raised in Media/ Upper Providence, PA (suburb of Philadelphia.

Attended and graduated from Drexel with degree in Construction Management.

I ended up moving to New York City after graduation and have been up here ever since. I had opportunities in Philadelphia, but being in the are my whole life I needed a change, and received some great offers up here. I also was in love with New York since I was a little kid, so its a perfect fit for me

I would still be happy in Philadelphia, many of my friends at Drexel stayed there after graduation, probably about 50%.
Speaking of loving NYC check out old footage of the city from a century, or more, ago. Guy Jones put a bunch of these on youtube. Also MOMA has some on youtube with added sound. There's one a I really like of Fairmount Ave in front of ESP in Philly in 1930 when they released Al Capone. The crowd outside waiting for him to come outside. Lol. Some of the comments tickled me because folks did google map searches looking for various bldgs on Fairmount Ave to see if they still exist. Of course many of them do.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
I'm originally from northern New England.

Went to Widener University in Chester. I fell in love with Philadelphia during my four years of undergrad and spent many weekends in the city. I moved into the city when I graduated in 2014 and have been here since. I'm currently in my final year of a Master's program at Drexel. As much as I love Philly, I'm planning on making the move 90 miles north to New York City. The money and lifestyle that only NYC can offer is too good to pass up. However, Philly will always be my home (despite not being "from" here), and I could absolutely see myself moving back here if the grind of New York ever wears me out.

Philadelphia is an amazing city that constantly gets underrated by those who have never been here. It offers anything and everything for those who want a true urban lifestyle.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
I went to Drexel.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Villanova undergrad. Penn for grad school (Masters). You can find just about any educational experience in the Philly region you want. It is one of Philly's strongest factors.

Last edited by Pilot1; 10-15-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

Went to Widener University in Chester. I fell in love with Philadelphia during my four years of undergrad and spent many weekends in the city. I moved into the city when I graduated in 2014 and have been here since. I'm currently in my final year of a Master's program at Drexel. As much as I love Philly, I'm planning on making the move 90 miles north to New York City. The money and lifestyle that only NYC can offer is too good to pass up. However, Philly will always be my home (despite not being "from" here), and I could absolutely see myself moving back here if the grind of New York ever wears me out.

Philadelphia is an amazing city that constantly gets underrated by those who have never been here. It offers anything and everything for those who want a true urban lifestyle.
Maybe you should switch to being a Septa regional rail engineer. They're paying those folks 6 figures nowadays.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Multiple schools. West Chester University, Peirce College, Univ. of PA.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:

But, but, but the "lifestyle" will be better for you in NYC which sort of contradicts your last statement. If you can afford the housing go for it.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:05 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Speaking of loving NYC check out old footage of the city from a century, or more, ago. Guy Jones put a bunch of these on youtube. Also MOMA has some on youtube with added sound. There's one a I really like of Fairmount Ave in front of ESP in Philly in 1930 when they released Al Capone. The crowd outside waiting for him to come outside. Lol. Some of the comments tickled me because folks did google map searches looking for various bldgs on Fairmount Ave to see if they still exist. Of course many of them do.
I have actually seen a lot of the videos and I follow a page on Instagram that features street scenes in New York from 50-100 years ago, always fascinating stuff

Quote:

That was my true calling. The energy and vibe of New York is truly one a kind, and I love it. Not for everyone, but I knew since I was young that New York was the place for me.

The curse of New York is that when/ if it comes time to relocate to another city, nothing will ever match New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia