U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 AM

1,241 posts, read 798,194 times

Advertisements

These incidents seem to happen when schools are in session

Police: Brawl Involving Up To 200 Students Erupts Outside McDonald’s In Hunting Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 AM

5,348 posts, read 5,570,613 times
The comments in that article are out of control. Wow. Regardless, sad to see this type of nonsense. Makes you wonder what the next generation is going to be like when older.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,560,406 times
At least this wasn't in Center City.

Very sad though, the result of a viscous cycle of poverty and lack of resources and role models available. A cycle that Philadelphia leaders have failed at even attempting to break. They are more worried about their own self interests than finding solutions.

Short term solution would be a police force double the size of what it currently is.

And yes the comments are very disturbing, not worth reading.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM

10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The comments in that article are out of control. Wow. Regardless, sad to see this type of nonsense. Makes you wonder what the next generation is going to be like when older.
Right now the POTUS is about as amoral as one individual can be. That is role models seem to be scarce. So, yes, what will the future bring?

Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 AM

5,348 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Right now the POTUS is about as amoral as one individual can be. That is role models seem to be scarce. So, yes, what will the future bring?
Role models, fathers, solid values. All too scarce. The POTUS is a reflection of society IMO.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 1,687,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
It's been happening for years it's just that now there are cell phones that can capture the situation.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Role models, fathers, solid values. All too scarce. The POTUS is a reflection of society IMO.
All true. But in another thread, where a few posts went OT, some of the discussion was about century old film snippets on youtube. In some of these films, in NYC, things that strike me are how consistently groups of kids, boys mostly, will behave compared to how they do now. You will see rowdiness, rough-housing, fake fighting/boxing, lots of knucklehead stuff. Only their clothing is different, compared to 2018, and they might not have weapons.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
What's a Yob?

Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,560,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
All true. But in another thread, where a few posts went OT, some of the discussion was about century old film snippets on youtube. In some of these films, in NYC, things that strike me are how consistently groups of kids, boys mostly, will behave compared to how they do now. You will see rowdiness, rough-housing, fake fighting/boxing, lots of knucklehead stuff. Only their clothing is different, compared to 2018, and they might not have weapons.
Some of those comments were rather ignorant and naive though. There was one film in particular in front of the Flat Iron Building in 1907 or 1910 showing people walking around. And some dumb posters said how peaceful people were back then minding their own business and peacefully walking amongst each other.

Even with all the crap in the world today, I think we are in a more peaceful and ACCEPTING state, probably in the history of mankind. The difference is that we are hyper connected to everyone and everything. We can find out news in Tokyo as it happens, in 1910 it would take a week or longer to hear any news from Japan.

I enjoy those videos, but the stupid and rather ignorant commentary makes me wonder how people can manage their lives...

Anyways, I do agree that life was simpler, but I don't think people were better behaved back then, things just went unnoticed much easier than today.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Some of those comments were rather ignorant and naive though. There was one film in particular in front of the Flat Iron Building in 1907 or 1910 showing people walking around. And some dumb posters said how peaceful people were back then minding their own business and peacefully walking amongst each other.

Even with all the crap in the world today, I think we are in a more peaceful and ACCEPTING state, probably in the history of mankind. The difference is that we are hyper connected to everyone and everything. We can find out news in Tokyo as it happens, in 1910 it would take a week or longer to hear any news from Japan.

I enjoy those videos, but the stupid and rather ignorant commentary makes me wonder how people can manage their lives...

Anyways, I do agree that life was simpler, but I don't think people were better behaved back then, things just went unnoticed much easier than today.
Lots of people have ignorant ideas about the past. Reading the comments for those films often shows that as you say. I think about how diseases affected people back then and how we are blessed to have vaccine prevention for so many diseases that were all to common.

Speaking of behavior back then, my maternal grandfather left east Texas(his original home) and moved to NOLA, because of all the lynchings.

For women, life was absolutely not simpler or rather women were excluded from pretty much everything that wasn't about households. Remember women couldn't vote until 1920.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or