U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 05:59 AM

348 posts, read 103,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Yes, when you use it. “Strong schools” means majority white whether you care to admit it or not. I know how to read. You, like the vast majority of white people, don’t want to acknowledge the reality of race in this country.
I'm not going to defend myself against your unwarranted attacks any longer. I'm not denying a thing. You want to hate, go right ahead. I'm out.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:18 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I guess one of the things that set me off so much that even Karen had to try to put the brakes on me was the tone with which the defenders of The Way Things Are did the defending.

It was as if this way of thinking was only natural and right, and that there was no possibility that it could be wrong, or based on flawed assumptions, or that the possibility of thinking and doing things differently was even rational or possibly right. ("Lies, damned lies and statistics.")

We blacks spent six decades actively fighting against that sort of thing, and we changed much of it, but there's still residue. And as this exchange proves, the cleanup job will be no easier.

Edited to add: And remember, I'm a committed integrationist. Imagine what the nationalists would have said to you all.
OT kind of. 1) Infamous redlining. 2)Two million AA WWII vets who didn't get the benefits of the first GI bill. And those vets included the Tuskegee Airmen.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:28 AM

609 posts, read 456,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I'm not going to defend myself against your unwarranted attacks any longer. I'm not denying a thing. You want to hate, go right ahead. I'm out.
Not hate, just not willing to tolerate white people lying to themselves. Again, name one majority black or Latinx school district that white people identify as strong.

Not surprised you’re “out”. White people truly hate admitting how race influences our thinking.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
No, it’s about race no matter how often white people deny it. White children are highly segregated from AA and Latinx children in schools because that’s what white parents desire. As I’ve repeatedly pointed out every time white people on here attempt to deny that white racism isn’t the cause of school segregation, white children are two times more segregated in schools than they are residentially. That doesn’t happen accidentally. And as we know white people will abandon schools if too many Asians enroll too. “Strong schools” is a euphemism for majority white, always.
Fwiw, there are a ton of Asian students going to Masterman right now. Many more than I recall ever seeing.
So is the anti-Asian stuff about the fear of those kids being better scholastically?

Old 10-13-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Fwiw, there are a ton of Asian students going to Masterman right now. Many more than I recall ever seeing.
So is the anti-Asian stuff about the fear of those kids being better scholastically?
It’s about white people wanting majority white schools, period. White families abandoned the elementary school my kids attended when too many (40% Asian enrollment more or less was the tipping point) Asian children were enrolled in the school.

Masterman is an outlier because it’s a selective admission school. White people are much more tolerant of diversity when admissions are selective. Of course, selective admissions favors whites generally speaking.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Race is not my motivating factor and I find the practice of redlining abhorrent. I am not your enemy.
Nor do I consider you one.

But I think a lot of us believe that achieving integration requires conscious, deliberate action, mainly on the part of the group that has historically resisted it.

The problem is that such action often requires that people leave their comfort zone.

I have no doubt that you'd welcome me with open arms were I to move onto your block, but what would you do once people like me become 30 percent of the residents? (Social science research shows that once blacks make up that percentage of a neighborhood's residents, whites start to pack up and leave more or less en masse. Mt. Airy is a statistical outlier here too, for its population has been 65/35 African-American/white for more than a decade, and that ratio hasn't changed much over a good long period of time. Edited to add: However, Mt. Airy's southeast quadrant is largely lower- to moderate-income, and I suspect that a good chunk of that 65 percent live in it.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 10-13-2019 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
It’s about white people wanting majority white schools, period. White families abandoned the elementary school my kids attended when too many (40% Asian enrollment more or less was the tipping point) Asian children were enrolled in the school.

Masterman is an outlier because it’s a selective admission school. White people are much more tolerant of diversity when admissions are selective. Of course, selective admissions favors whites generally speaking.
So academics really aren't a factor. It's all just racial. White people on here: stop pretending you care about diversity. It's okay because we, who don't look like you, know what the truth is and have known it all along.

Yes, I'm aware of Masterman's selectivity.

My youngest great nephew, who is 5 years old, biracial but looks white, is going to kindergarten at Barry Elementary. There are other biracial children going there but he's the only white looking one. He's doing well and loves the school. It's interesting to me in that I was the token poc child in lots of situations growing up and still can be that one token. Sandy has probably been in some of the same situations. But, hey, we are just one poc and not too scary to white people.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
So academics really aren't a factor. It's all just racial. White people on here: stop pretending you care about diversity. It's okay because we, who don't look like you, know what the truth is and have known it all along.

My youngest great nephew, who is 5 years old, biracial but looks white, is going to kindergarten at Barry Elementary. There are other biracial children going there but he's the only white looking one. He's doing well and loves the school. It's interesting to me in that I was the token poc child in lots of situations growing up and still can be that one token. Sandy has probably been in some of the same situations. But, hey, we are just one poc and not too scary to white people.
I joke that I love attending receptions in Chestnut Hill because they offer me all these great Only Black Guy in the Room opportunities.

Realtors' open houses are an exception to this rule.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Research shows that white people will select a school that has lower test scores but more white students than a school with higher scores but fewer white students. The great lie among white people is that their primary motivation when selecting schools is academic reputation. It’s not. Race is with few exceptions the primary factor when white parents select schools. The Howard County school district in suburban Baltimore is very diverse as a district but the schools tend to be fairly segregated by race. The district has proposed a desegregation plan and predictably white parents are freaking out. This happens Every.Damn.Time. desegregation is attempted these days.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Research shows that white people will select a school that has lower test scores but more white students than a school with higher scores but fewer white students. The great lie among white people is that their primary motivation when selecting schools is academic reputation. It’s not. Race is with few exceptions the primary factor when white parents select schools. The Howard County school district in suburban Baltimore is very diverse as a district but the schools tend to be fairly segregated by race. The district has proposed a desegregation plan and predictably white parents are freaking out. This happens Every.Damn.Time. desegregation is attempted these days.
My reaction nowadays is if this is such a continuing problem for so many white parents accept what your true feelings are and migrate to the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, or Nebraska. However there are surprising number of non-white people in Omaha. So they wouldn't, necessarily , want to go there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia