U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:25 AM

27,265 posts, read 25,865,265 times

Advertisements

I'd try to find something in or near Media. There are plenty of places to shop and a train.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I joke that I love attending receptions in Chestnut Hill because they offer me all these great Only Black Guy in the Room opportunities.

Realtors' open houses are an exception to this rule.
Such as? I've been, save for one, the only white person, female, sober, and probably some other things.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:10 PM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Such as? I've been, save for one, the only white person, female, sober, and probably some other things.
Chestnut Hill Conservancy receptions.

ISTR I was also the OBGITR at the Chestnut Hill Historical Society's Woodward Centennial celebratory dinner.

I find it hard to believe you'd be the only white person at an event in Chestnut Hill. What sort of event was it? A Jencks School HSA meeting?

Old 10-14-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Chestnut Hill Conservancy receptions.

ISTR I was also the OBGITR at the Chestnut Hill Historical Society's Woodward Centennial celebratory dinner.

I find it hard to believe you'd be the only white person at an event in Chestnut Hill. What sort of event was it? A Jencks School HSA meeting?
No, not in Chestnut Hill. It was years ago when a co-worker invited me to her housewarming party.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:00 PM

80 posts, read 18,389 times
Blah blah blah writes long spiel blah blah blah writes long spiel blah blah blah racist finds the thread blah blah blah.

I took a nice long cycle yesterday up through the Wissahickon and to build my calf muscles tackled the hills by going up into Chestnut Hill and then took a long, winding detour back to Center City via Mount Airy and Germantown. Definitely some nifty housing stock up there.

But back to the relevancy of this thread and the long gone OP and some of the claims made, I must digress with a few of the boosters' beliefs.

Because I don't particularly find Mount Airy diverse.

It's a bunch of white liberals patting themselves on the back by living with black people. Is that diverse?

Where are the Asians? The South Asians? The Middle Easterners? The Latinos? I saw preciously few to the point of none at all (I'm sure there's one or two hiding somewhere and you'll be sure to tell me).

Because with the OP coming from Toronto and Toronto now being famous for diversity, that's what diversity means - a school where half the kids are from non traditional white Canadian Anglo-Saxon backgrounds, and from families from all over the world. Not white people patting themselves on the back for living next to black people.

And, of course, going from all the political signs I saw, it's hardly diverse in thought either.

I did happen to cycle past what should be the neighborhood elementary school. In theory. Henry H. Houston Elementary-Middle School. Maybe it was in the 1950s. Looked up the demographics online. It's 88% AA, 7% mixed, 3% white, less than 1% Asian (meaning none at all) and ditto for Latinos. Whatever happened to diversity in Mount Airy? Oh, and it's 100% low income too.

Gee. Now I understand why all these white folks (and some black folks too) have private school open house signs....

Let's compare this to, oh, say, Conestoga High school. 20% Asian. 75% white. Ok, the AA enrollment is pitiful at 3%, but one can't argue it's lily white either.

What about Lower Merion? 71% white, 13% AA, 10% Asian. Getting better, isn't it?

Now, I'll admit both Masterman and Central are the granddaddy of truly diverse high schools, but the big difference for out of towners is that all they have to do is to buy the house in the district and not worry about competitive admissions and all that. And get much better zoned local elementary schools too.

And it's in the suburbs where you'll find the real diversity. The real immigrant success stories. The big Asian American communities. The South Asians.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
My reaction nowadays is if this is such a continuing problem for so many white parents accept what your true feelings are and migrate to the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, or Nebraska. However there are surprising number of non-white people in Omaha. So they wouldn't, necessarily , want to go there either.
My mother began life as one of those non-white Omahans. She, her two sisters, and three brothers come from a splinter branch of the Daviss family that (a) left the area around the eastern Texas Gulf Coast and Louisiana and landed in Omaha (b) still spells the surname with just one s.

The three sisters eventually all wound up in Kansas City via slightly different paths. But on her way up in the Veterans Administration nursing administration hierarchy, she lived in Omaha again for a couple of years.

It's a very pleasant mid-sized city. I can't imagine why anyone white wouldn't want to live there. Warren Buffett sure likes it.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
My mother began life as one of those non-white Omahans. She, her two sisters, and three brothers come from a splinter branch of the Daviss family that (a) left the area around the eastern Texas Gulf Coast and Louisiana and landed in Omaha (b) still spells the surname with just one s.

The three sisters eventually all wound up in Kansas City via slightly different paths. But on her way up in the Veterans Administration nursing administration hierarchy, she lived in Omaha again for a couple of years.

It's a very pleasant mid-sized city. I can't imagine why anyone white wouldn't want to live there. Warren Buffett sure likes it.
Daviss?

Old 10-14-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Daviss?
The family patriarch in Texas decided sometime in the late 19th/early 20th century that he did not wish to be known by his "slave name."

Islam (or rather, the Nation of) not having spread among African-Americans at the time, and given that any connection with the peoples and languages of West Africa had long since been severed, he didn't have many options to choose from. So he just tacked an extra s onto the surname.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
The family patriarch in Texas decided sometime in the late 19th/early 20th century that he did not wish to be known by his "slave name."

Islam (or rather, the Nation of) not having spread among African-Americans at the time, and given that any connection with the peoples and languages of West Africa had long since been severed, he didn't have many options to choose from. So he just tacked an extra s onto the surname.
Thank you. I've never seen that spelling. I have some Davis relatives, but they're Welsh. I've wondered if long ago they were Davies. Probably.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:00 PM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Blah blah blah writes long spiel blah blah blah writes long spiel blah blah blah racist finds the thread blah blah blah.

(most of it deleted)
Complaining about long essays then proceeds to write a long essay in response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia