U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:05 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrihurley View Post
^^^^ Thank you so much for your honest answer. We are coming from Toronto, Canada which is arguably one of the most multicultural cities in the world. My children attend a racially diverse school now and have friends who are white, hispanic, black, asian, East Indian and Muslim. We are white and are concerned with the kids attending a school that is all white. Some sort of diversity is definitely preferred and if it can't be found in the area we choose, we want to be sure there is at least an acceptance and understanding of diversity and multiculturalism. We have no interest in landing in a township that has racist under currents!
With all that being said, the Media area is still a wonderful area and has historically been a liberal and accepting area regardless or ones race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. And the community continues to diversify as Media borough grows.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM

541 posts, read 252,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrihurley View Post
^^^^ Thank you so much for your honest answer. We are coming from Toronto, Canada which is arguably one of the most multicultural cities in the world. My children attend a racially diverse school now and have friends who are white, hispanic, black, asian, East Indian and Muslim. We are white and are concerned with the kids attending a school that is all white. Some sort of diversity is definitely preferred and if it can't be found in the area we choose, we want to be sure there is at least an acceptance and understanding of diversity and multiculturalism. We have no interest in landing in a township that has racist under currents!
If diversity is a critical issue and you are coming from living in the city in Toronto and want that same sort of diversity, you're going to find it ... in the city. I don't know anything about Toronto's suburbs, but I'm guessing they also don't have the same sort of diversity that you are accustomed to in the city. Just a thought.

As far as other suburban locations, Newtown and Bucks County check pretty much every one of your boxes except, again, being 80% white. There's no perceptible racial tension here, though, that's I've felt.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 AM

425 posts, read 159,566 times
people throw around Mt. Airy a lot even when it doesn't fit but man, does the OPs priorities ever scream "Mt. Airy!".

OP, you can get a really nice house well under your budget there. You might consider doing that which may allow you to afford a moderately priced private school.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:52 PM

23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I am wary of the New Jersey real estate market because of the recent tax reform. I believe that once people do their tax returns in a few months, they'll realize how much the game has changed due to the state-and-local-tax (SALT) limits. If this happens, NJ residents near Philadelphia will flock to PA.

Or maybe people will simply pay whatever number TurboTax spits-out without looking into why it is what it is.

A $650k house in Haddonfield has about $15k/yr in taxes. A $650k house on the Main Line will usually be about (or even under) $10k/yr in taxes. A $650k house in Media/Swarthmore, for reference, would be over $15k/yr in taxes.

Maybe I'm wrong and the tax-rates are already priced-in. All I know is that there haven't *yet* been any major price-corrections from the SALT limits going into effect.
What you have do concerning South Jersey towns is work the numbers. It works for some & doesn't work for others.

The Philadelphia wage tax is deductible towards your NJ income tax.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:24 PM

377 posts, read 334,125 times
In a similar scenario (except without needing to commute as of now), we chose Lower Merion for the schools, beautiful stone houses, and proximity to Center City.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:36 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
people throw around Mt. Airy a lot even when it doesn't fit but man, does the OPs priorities ever scream "Mt. Airy!".

OP, you can get a really nice house well under your budget there. You might consider doing that which may allow you to afford a moderately priced private school.
Mt. Airy has the multicultural mindset, but it’s mostly just black and white. Chestnut Hill is actually getting fairly diverse these days (but again, private schools).

Old 10-22-2018, 12:26 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Just to talk about the Delco "stigma" for another minute, I have never thought of it as a racial thing. I have tons of family from Clifton and Springfield. They are exactly what you think of when you think "Delco" -- tough, tattoed, blue-collar kids. They laugh about it themselves...a couple of them even got tattoos of the Clifton zipcode. A few months ago there was a cute video about Delco and that's pretty much what it showed. I think Media was about as "upscale" as it got. I don't know how to do links but it's on youtube -- "It's Going Down (in Delco)".

OP, hope we haven't scared you off. I still stick with the recommendation of the Main Line (towns) but Media is nice too. I don't agree with the Newtown/Bucks suggestion because it's not as convenient to the city. But the Philly area in general is pretty racially segmented. The only place I think of when people want racial diversity is West Mount Airy, but then you've got the issue of Philadelphia schools, which is a whole different story that has plenty of threads on the forum.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:38 PM

6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Just to talk about the Delco "stigma" for another minute, I have never thought of it as a racial thing. I have tons of family from Clifton and Springfield. They are exactly what you think of when you think "Delco" -- tough, tattoed, blue-collar kids. They laugh about it themselves...a couple of them even got tattoos of the Clifton zipcode. A few months ago there was a cute video about Delco and that's pretty much what it showed. I think Media was about as "upscale" as it got. I don't know how to do links but it's on youtube -- "It's Going Down (in Delco)".

OP, hope we haven't scared you off. I still stick with the recommendation of the Main Line (towns) but Media is nice too. I don't agree with the Newtown/Bucks suggestion because it's not as convenient to the city. But the Philly area in general is pretty racially segmented. The only place I think of when people want racial diversity is West Mount Airy, but then you've got the issue of Philadelphia schools, which is a whole different story that has plenty of threads on the forum.
I get confused with the whole Delco thing... Is it just a section of the county? Because Radnor is a part of Delco, so is Concord and Newtown Square and they dont get lumped into that "Delco vibe"

I only considered Delco to be the small boroughs near the river (Clifton, Sharon Hill, Yeadon, etc.)

I dont really consider Springfield to be Blue Collar, pretty standard suburb.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:36 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I get confused with the whole Delco thing... Is it just a section of the county? Because Radnor is a part of Delco, so is Concord and Newtown Square and they dont get lumped into that "Delco vibe"

I only considered Delco to be the small boroughs near the river (Clifton, Sharon Hill, Yeadon, etc.)

I dont really consider Springfield to be Blue Collar, pretty standard suburb.
Right, when people refer to "Delco", it's really just the Baltimore Pike/MacDade Blvd. kind of vibe. They're sure not talking about Radnor and Wayne, which are "Main Line" even though they're located in Delco.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:50 AM

390 posts, read 170,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Right, when people refer to "Delco", it's really just the Baltimore Pike/MacDade Blvd. kind of vibe. They're sure not talking about Radnor and Wayne, which are "Main Line" even though they're located in Delco.
I remind everyone that this all started as a Main Line vs. Media debate. I mentioned that Media, while being a nice town, is surrounded by the Delco stigma (which it does, as it's smack-dab between Baltimore Pike and MacDade Boulevard). I feel this is a factually accurate statement.

Most areas north of Baltimore Pike don't have the Delco vibe, but it also doesn't have trains into the city, so it's not a candidate due to OP's stated preference.

We're all aware that a small portion of Delco extends into the Main Line, but for the purposes of this discussion, that fact is pedantic and defensive.

I'm sorry if I offended any Delco residents, but there is an undeniable dichotomy throughout the county. Maybe I'll use the term "Southern Delaware County" in the future to avoid stepping on eggshells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia