Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 655 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
My wife is in the final stages of interview that could result in a relocation from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.
Here are a few things we are looking for. A close train station that goes to Center City is a must. Preferably a max 30 min trip.

A walkable area would be great. We love small walkable neighborhoods with nice restaurants (good wine?), coffee shops, people out walking dogs, etc. Low crime. A local gym with classes like LA fitness type place would be nice but I can drive. We are empty nesters so school quality is not important, just a safe area. We will most likely rent a place for a while and move in a year or so keeping our current home in Pittsburgh. We are not really interested in living downtown as it is just too busy and noisy.

I worked in southern DE for years and really like the state of DE but the commute may be too much, not sure.

We will not know very many people so making new friends is huge. We will join the local catholic church as we both sing in the choir. I will join KW as a RE agent somewhere (I am a real estate investor) and do some local PSU events, but we would love an area that is friendly and open with nice and honest people. Some places are better than others for meeting and making friends . Any help and feedback is certainly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 AM

558 posts, read 299,373 times
Please try the sticky at the top of the forum. It will make it easier to get good recommendations.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:13 AM

409 posts, read 370,328 times
Media and the Main Line are the two go-tos that seem to always be recommended for everyone. Conshohocken and Manayunk also deserve a nod, especially without kids. Ambler / Fort Washington are also worth consideration, but may be too long of a commute and too pricey for what you get. Chestnut Hill would also be a good option if it's in your price range.

Septa service into Delaware is limited to downtown Wilmington or the outskirts of Newark (the Claymont and Churchman's Crossing stops in Delaware wouldn't fit your other criteria). You could get more for your money in either of these areas, but neither would be as ideal as your PA options.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Media and the Main Line are the two go-tos that seem to always be recommended for everyone. Conshohocken and Manayunk also deserve a nod, especially without kids. Ambler / Fort Washington are also worth consideration, but may be too long of a commute and too pricey for what you get. Chestnut Hill would also be a good option if it's in your price range.

Septa service into Delaware is limited to downtown Wilmington or the outskirts of Newark (the Claymont and Churchman's Crossing stops in Delaware wouldn't fit your other criteria). You could get more for your money in either of these areas, but neither would be as ideal as your PA options.
Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy (both East and West) are good options. Both are served by two regional rail lines that will get you to Center City in less than a half hour.
Conshohocken and, esp'ly, Manayunk have good rail access to Center City. But I've always felt there's no "there" there in Conshohocken (compared to the more obvious cohesion and focus of activity in Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy). Manayunk has its semi-gritty charm slowly diminished by lots of new, crappy-looking, faux post-Modern condos and townhouses. And its demographic swings, I believe, toward the younger side (I'm in my 60s and always feel like the oldest person on Main St).
Nothing beats driving around these 'hoods and getting a feel for them. Google Street View is a good Plan B if you can't get here in person. When my wife and I were planning to relocate here, we had a map of West and East Mt Airy and literally drove every block, making notations and comments. A lot of work, but well worth it - 11 years here in E Mt Airy and we couldn't be happier (have to say, though, that'd I'd have settled for "driving" down the streets using Street View, but it wasn't available at the time).

Old 10-15-2019, 10:34 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
I concur with TownDweller; please fill out the sticky at the top of the Phila forum and we'll be able to give you more assistance. We definitely need to know your budget. I think that any of the towns along the Main Line would fit the criteria you've already mentioned, although some towns are more walkable than others (Wayne, Ardmore) in terms of lots of places to go. Media should definitely be on your list as well.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:56 AM

899 posts, read 540,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimk007 View Post
Hello everyone.
My wife is in the final stages of interview that could result in a relocation from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.
Here are a few things we are looking for. A close train station that goes to Center City is a must. Preferably a max 30 min trip.

A walkable area would be great. We love small walkable neighborhoods with nice restaurants (good wine?), coffee shops, people out walking dogs, etc. Low crime. A local gym with classes like LA fitness type place would be nice but I can drive. We are empty nesters so school quality is not important, just a safe area. We will most likely rent a place for a while and move in a year or so keeping our current home in Pittsburgh. We are not really interested in living downtown as it is just too busy and noisy.

I worked in southern DE for years and really like the state of DE but the commute may be too much, not sure.

We will not know very many people so making new friends is huge. We will join the local catholic church as we both sing in the choir. I will join KW as a RE agent somewhere (I am a real estate investor) and do some local PSU events, but we would love an area that is friendly and open with nice and honest people. Some places are better than others for meeting and making friends . Any help and feedback is certainly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
"Downtown" aka center city is a big area. Plenty of quiet parts. Compare this to, say, the Main Line towns which have heavy traffic and are hardly quieter compared to places like Fitler Square or Grad Hospital (This is assuming you're renting an apartment and not buying one of those pastoral Main Line estates for $5M). I'm just pointing this out that it's a mistake to think Center City = busy and noisy everywhere and Main Line = quiet and peaceful everywhere.

Everything else you mentioned, walkable, lots of places within easy reach on foot, restaurants, local gyms, coffee shops, are at their highest concentration in Center City.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:44 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post

The poster specified a 30 minute max commute so that will eliminate several places that would likely suit them.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:01 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Once you fill out the sticky and provide an ideal price range for renting and purchasing. You would have more helpful responses.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 PM

75 posts, read 66,789 times
Spruce Hill. Great school district and you could attend mass at St Francis de Sales

Old 10-16-2019, 03:21 AM

222 posts, read 196,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimk007 View Post
Hello everyone.

Thanks, Jim
Just to be clear.. you prefer to live in the suburbs, correct? If so, the main line towns of Ardmore or Bryn Mawr might be good for you. There is a train station with service to center city, and driving to center city would be less than 30 minutes without heavy traffic. Ardmore and Bryn Mawr both have walkable “downtown” areas along Lancaster Avenue filled with shops, restaurant, cafes, etc.

There’s an LA Fitness in Bala Cynwyd on City Avenue. Bala Cynwyd is another nice town on the main line worth looking at.

Catholic Churches are abundant in and around Philadelphia.

I don’t know a ton about Delaware, but you definitely could not commute from southern DE. However, commuting from northern DE is very doable, and many people do it (ex. Wilmington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia