Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times

Advertisements

Riffing off that last comment of mine:

One reason Mt. Airy has the reputation it does is because very few American city or suburban (e.g. Willingboro, NJ) neighborhoods that waged a conscious fight to prevent white flight and remain integrated succeeded in doing so. (More typical was a similar neighborhood in my hometown that failed at the fight.)

IOW, Mt. Airy is a "statistical outlier." And some of the reasons why it is come from the folks here who dismiss it for its defects.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Good grief. Sandy and Karen - you two are exhausting. Self promotion is the worst of traits. Pull it together.
Being black is exhausting. Just sayin' Being gay is exhausting. You get to live your entire life free of those particulars. Of course this is drifting into various bits of OT which, I guess, are more suited for PM conversations.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM

I guess one of the things that set me off so much that even Karen had to try to put the brakes on me was the tone with which the defenders of The Way Things Are did the defending.

It was as if this way of thinking was only natural and right, and that there was no possibility that it could be wrong, or based on flawed assumptions, or that the possibility of thinking and doing things differently was even rational or possibly right. ("Lies, damned lies and statistics.")

We blacks spent six decades actively fighting against that sort of thing, and we changed much of it, but there's still residue. And as this exchange proves, the cleanup job will be no easier.

Edited to add: And remember, I'm a committed integrationist. Imagine what the nationalists would have said to you all.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Canada.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:33 PM

712 posts, read 701,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
This really is exhausting. I can't speak for all of the 'conventional wisdom' posters here, but I do also have lived experiences as well as you that guide me.

I am looking at suburban real estate right now. Although I do not and will not have children, school ratings are one of the important factors in my search. Why? Because I am most likely to find shared values in areas with strong schools. And because I want to ensure my property value will continue to be strong.

For many of us, it really is not about race, however much you continue to maintain that it is.
No, it’s about race no matter how often white people deny it. White children are highly segregated from AA and Latinx children in schools because that’s what white parents desire. As I’ve repeatedly pointed out every time white people on here attempt to deny that white racism isn’t the cause of school segregation, white children are two times more segregated in schools than they are residentially. That doesn’t happen accidentally. And as we know white people will abandon schools if too many Asians enroll too. “Strong schools” is a euphemism for majority white, always.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:32 AM

558 posts, read 299,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
“Strong schools” is a euphemism for majority white, always.
Not when I use it, try reading what I wrote instead of reading into it.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
I gave you a pass, but if you read the last sentence of my response, you should understand why others won't.

Race may not be your motivating factor, but the arguments you used were the very ones used to explain why there shouldn't be black people living in neighborhoods like the one you probably live in. And surely you must be aware that people still use coded language to hide their race prejudice.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:17 AM

712 posts, read 701,473 times
Quote:
Yes, when you use it. “Strong schools” means majority white whether you care to admit it or not. I know how to read. You, like the vast majority of white people, don’t want to acknowledge the reality of race in this country.

Simple question: name a majority black or Latinx school district that white people identify as “strong”. Take your time. I’ll wait.

Last edited by BR Valentine; 10-13-2019 at 05:58 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I gave you a pass, but if you read the last sentence of my response, you should understand why others won't.

Race may not be your motivating factor, but the arguments you used were the very ones used to explain why there shouldn't be black people living in neighborhoods like the one you probably live in. And surely you must be aware that people still use coded language to hide their race prejudice.
Race is not my motivating factor and I find the practice of redlining abhorrent. I am not your enemy.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Yes, when you use it. “Strong schools” means majority white whether you care to admit it or not. I know how to read. You, like the vast majority of white people, don’t want to acknowledge the reality of race in this country.
I'm not going to defend myself against your unwarranted attacks any longer. I'm not denying a thing. You want to hate, go right ahead. I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia