Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM

111 posts, read 68,141 times

Advertisements

My elderly neighbor's landlady is currently renovating, then selling her family's East Mt. Airy 3-apartment house in early 2019. My neighbor is the final and only tenant in the domicile's basement apartment. She has until November 2018 to procure housing in another part of the city. Unfortunately, she subsists on SS and can only afford $300-350 per month. She prefers a dwelling with a private bath and kitchen.

It is impossible to find an apartment in or around Philly in that price range. I've given her the number to PCA, OSHA, Catholic and Jewish organizations, Cindy Bass's office, Center in the Park, and listings from hotels.com, zillow.com, etc to call. She said nothing has panned out. HUD and Section 8 aren't taking new applications. She can't find any organizations with vouchers to help her pay the more expensive rent. There are months-long waiting lists to get into a senior living facility (plus she said she's waiting for her credit debt to clear up in November 2018 before she applies to such facilities).

To top it off, she has over seven cats who must also find a new home. (She surrendered one cat and her kittens to ACCT in early October 2018, and one friend took another cat in late October 2018.)

But first things first, my elderly neighbor needs housing now! Any ideas? Thanks, good people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 06:04 PM

2,537 posts, read 2,650,453 times
Consider roommates and giving up all cats

Old 10-29-2018, 01:00 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,366,357 times
So she currently is in a private apartment and paying only $300-350/mo.? (that seems pretty impossible) And does she have a lease in that apartment? (wondering if the landlord is breaking the lease)

Old 10-29-2018, 08:40 AM

111 posts, read 68,141 times
The landlady gave her a break in rent only because my neighbor and the landlady's mother were good, long-time friends. The mother died a few years ago, but the landlady allowed my neighbor to stay, in the basement apartment for just $350. (The average monthly rent is $700-850 for that Chew Ave location.)

The landlady's husband is now pressuring his wife to evict my neighbor, so they can renovate the basement apartment and sell the house. Tensions are now high among all parties. I'm trying my best to research options for my neighbor, as she does not have a computer.

I told my neighbor to contact Brenda's Cat Rescue to collect the outdoor cats she feeds. All our surrounding neighbors have indoor cats and do not desire to house any "outdoor" cats. I am a dog and fish lover myself, so I have no desire for a cat in my house.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:29 AM

744 posts, read 769,603 times
Does the landlord already have an ejectment order? For better or worse it can take a long time to actually remove a tenant from a property in Philadelphia. They can't eject her from the apartment without following the proper procedure. I would recommend reaching out to the Senior Law Center who might be able to help or perhaps Community Legal Services.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
The landlady gave her a break in rent only because my neighbor and the landlady's mother were good, long-time friends. The mother died a few years ago, but the landlady allowed my neighbor to stay, in the basement apartment for just $350. (The average monthly rent is $700-850 for that Chew Ave location.)

The landlady's husband is now pressuring his wife to evict my neighbor, so they can renovate the basement apartment and sell the house. Tensions are now high among all parties. I'm trying my best to research options for my neighbor, as she does not have a computer.

I told my neighbor to contact Brenda's Cat Rescue to collect the outdoor cats she feeds. All our surrounding neighbors have indoor cats and do not desire to house any "outdoor" cats. I am a dog and fish lover myself, so I have no desire for a cat in my house.
Well, you sound like a good person for trying to help this woman. Does she have no family?

Sounds like maybe there isn't a formal lease in place. I agree with the poster above who mentioned trying to get legal help.

I wouldn't be as concerned with the outdoor cats. You are trying your best to help HER, and you shouldn't be guilted into feeling bad about not taking in a cat.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:38 AM

Also, she may prefer a place with her own kitchen and bath, but she's not likely to get one at that price. She may have to temporarily get a room somewhere while she waits for low-income senior housing to open up. Again, I give you kudos for trying to help her out.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,533,775 times
It would be thankless for the lady to refuse to move. The LL has helped her a lot over the years and the last thing she should do is refuse to leave or pay market rate for the apartment. This should not be treated like a tenancy.

https://www.syracuse.com/expo/erry-2...o_ny_supr.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Does the landlord already have an ejectment order? For better or worse it can take a long time to actually remove a tenant from a property in Philadelphia. They can't eject her from the apartment without following the proper procedure. I would recommend reaching out to the Senior Law Center who might be able to help or perhaps Community Legal Services.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 PM

744 posts, read 769,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
It would be thankless for the lady to refuse to move. The LL has helped her a lot over the years and the last thing she should do is refuse to leave or pay market rate for the apartment. This should not be treated like a tenancy.

https://www.syracuse.com/expo/erry-2...o_ny_supr.html
Refusing to move is not ideal but it doesn't seem like she will be able to secure housing in the next few days. Probably a better option for her than being on the street in the event she is unable to find an alternative. If she does obtain representation hopefully they can negotiate something with the landlord.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:24 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,533,775 times
Her problem is not lack of a place to stay but lack of money (There are thousands of properties in the area she can move into). I don't see how getting legal representation will address her financial situation. Continued stay is not in the best interests of her hosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Refusing to move is not ideal but it doesn't seem like she will be able to secure housing in the next few days. Probably a better option for her than being on the street in the event she is unable to find an alternative. If she does obtain representation hopefully they can negotiate something with the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia