U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:38 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I would have recommended the Sakura on Race St but they're apparently closed. We traveled in 14 states last year and Philly had the best food.
Wow, thanks for that review!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 06:51 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Figured I would post in here regarding my weekend visit!

We arrived Friday around 5pm at 30th St. From the moment he arrived (and me) he was impressed. It was a gorgeous fall afternoon right at rush hour so lots of activity and buzz.

We checked into the Ritz and relaxed there for a few hours and enjoyed some drinks (it started to rain). Then went to Twenty Manning Grill for dinner. Such a cute restaurant and excellent food.

The next day was a full walking tour of CC. Left the hotel and walked all the way down to the Delaware, zigzagging through Gayborhood, Society Hill, Independence, Washing Sq, then Old City. Stopped at the Starbucks at 3rd and Arch and a great little bakery (forget the name).

Then got an uber to City Hall, then made our way through Rittenhouse, stopped at Cleavers for a cheesesteak (actually very good, and a nicer looking cheesesteak spot), stopped at La Colombe, then walked by Comcast area to Logan Circle and walked all the way up the Parkway to the museum and waterworks.

Then made our way to the trail and ended at the boardwalk. Stopped at the dog park in Fitler and wandered through that area a bit (stopped at Rival Bros Coffee, we are huge coffee drinkers). Then ended back at the hotel. 30k steps!

Did dinner at Amis Trattoria, followed by some drinks at bars in the Gayborhood.

In conclusion, he was beyond impressed with the city, he even said it felt like we were walking in a European city on the Parkway stretch up to the museum. His first time in Philadelphia, and he said it was among his favorite US cities.
He went into the weekend with an unknown view since Philadelphia for whatever reason still has a mixed reputation for those who have never been. But left the weekend amazed and impressed with the architecture and excellent food offerings.

Was also funny how he said it felt like New York because everyone still honked their horns and yelled out the window when someone blocked the intersection. I said people here are pretty much the same with the rushed attitude (which I love).

As for me, the energy and foot traffic in the city throughout the day was impressive, East Market has come such a long way. CC was actually quite clean, lots of families, and couples with babies. Walnut Street was bustling, still wish there were more stores, but the current selection still looked great. It made me really miss Philadelphia and happy to see how much the city has improved in the few years I have been gone.

We will certainly be back for another weekend getaway.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

In conclusion, he was beyond impressed with the city, he even said it felt like we were walking in a European city on the Parkway stretch up to the museum. His first time in Philadelphia, and he said it was among his favorite US cities.
He went into the weekend with an unknown view since Philadelphia for whatever reason still has a mixed reputation for those who have never been. But left the weekend amazed and impressed with the architecture and excellent food offerings.
Just curious. Is your bf from NY or somewhere else?

The original intent of the Parkway was to create a European grand boulevard like the Champs-Elysee. The Free Library at 20th St and the old Family Court bldg are duplicates of two buildings on the Place de la Concorde. So it's nice that your bf thought it looked European.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Just curious. Is your bf from NY or somewhere else?

The original intent of the Parkway was to create a European grand boulevard like the Champs-Elysee. The Free Library at 20th St and the old Family Court bldg are duplicates of two buildings on the Place de la Concorde. So it's nice that your bf thought it looked European.
Chicago. And has been everywhere in the world.

And I know, I gave him the whole rundown of everything Philadelphia.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Chicago. And has been everywhere in the world.

And I know, I gave him the whole rundown of everything Philadelphia.
Oh, right, I remember now that you have mentioned a possible move to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia