U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 PM
 
10,283 posts, read 5,946,889 times
Reputation: 3643

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Ok. The the Swedes were the first Europe settlers in Wilmington, not Philly. I was taught Delaware history and just conflated the two. I believe you, but I’m not the only person who has their history mixed up:

”The first European settlers on the site were Swedes, who established a community at the mouth of the Schuykill not later than 1643. England, however, established its control over the entire region, and in 1681, King Charles II made William Penn a grant of land that became Pennsylvania.”
https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2111.html
Watch the episode: A Lost World(1600-1680). Discusses the period before European arrival until right before Penn did. It's 29 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2018, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
3,130 posts, read 1,620,937 times
Reputation: 11353
I am absolutely horrible with history but I'll take a look. sounds interesting. lol, unfortunately my idea of history is Hamilton on broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 07:09 AM
 
Location: The Left Toast
1,232 posts, read 1,521,384 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
i am absolutely horrible with history but i'll take a look. Sounds interesting. Lol, unfortunately my idea of history is hamilton on broadway.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 10:33 AM
 
10,283 posts, read 5,946,889 times
Reputation: 3643
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I am absolutely horrible with history but I'll take a look. sounds interesting. lol, unfortunately my idea of history is Hamilton on broadway.
They're designed to help folks just like you grasp how remarkable the city's history and story is. They're not just for history nerds!

The fact that they have actors recreating various events makes it digestible and real.

I'm was a history major so all of them are like Christmas morning to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM
 
10,283 posts, read 5,946,889 times
Reputation: 3643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
lol
Yeah, Eliza's remark about Hamilton made me laugh too.

I actually like the attempt at making American history relevant to more people. The musical "1776" tried to do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2018, 11:11 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,174 posts, read 28,597,748 times
Reputation: 9574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Ok. The the Swedes were the first Europe settlers in Wilmington, not Philly. I was taught Delaware history and just conflated the two. I believe you, but I’m not the only person who has their history mixed up:

”The first European settlers on the site were Swedes, who established a community at the mouth of the Schuykill not later than 1643. England, however, established its control over the entire region, and in 1681, King Charles II made William Penn a grant of land that became Pennsylvania.”
https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2111.html
The Swedes & their Finnish slaves were the first European settlers in the Delaware Valley then the Dutch came in, followed by William Penn. Apparently, this video is referring to the period prior to the Swedes.

The name of the Schuylkill River is a tip off to Dutch presence. Kyll is a Platt Deutsche word for river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2018, 10:27 PM
 
10,283 posts, read 5,946,889 times
Reputation: 3643
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Swedes & their Finnish slaves were the first European settlers in the Delaware Valley then the Dutch came in, followed by William Penn. Apparently, this video is referring to the period prior to the Swedes.

The name of the Schuylkill River is a tip off to Dutch presence. Kyll is a Platt Deutsche word for river.
Why the heck don't folks actually WATCH the blipping video? Lol It's 29 minutes long.

I'm not attacking anyone but it would make a lot more sense to see what this episode says about the period doncha think?
And it starts in 1600 before Europeans showed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2018, 11:02 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,174 posts, read 28,597,748 times
Reputation: 9574
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why the heck don't folks actually WATCH the blipping video? Lol It's 29 minutes long.

I'm not attacking anyone but it would make a lot more sense to see what this episode says about the period doncha think?
And it starts in 1600 before Europeans showed up.
I'm not the only person who normally posts from a phone, therefore with a data limit.

Go ahead, Google New Sweden.

As for my comment about Kyll, one of my grandfathers was born in a tiny village that sits on the river named Kyll. They didn't speak high German. The dialect bears a resemblance to the Dutch language. When anglicized, kyll=kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 07:16 AM
 
10,283 posts, read 5,946,889 times
Reputation: 3643
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not the only person who normally posts from a phone, therefore with a data limit.

Go ahead, Google New Sweden.

As for my comment about Kyll, one of my grandfathers was born in a tiny village that sits on the river named Kyll. They didn't speak high German. The dialect bears a resemblance to the Dutch language. When anglicized, kyll=kill.
Soundbound, no.... Lol

I'm going by what some actual scholars say what happened, okay. And, I said "some". You have to know by now( I know you know this) that so much of what appears via google is garbage

I started this thread with a lot of hope that folks would watch these. That's was all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 12:18 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,174 posts, read 28,597,748 times
Reputation: 9574
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Soundbound, no.... Lol

I'm going by what some actual scholars say what happened, okay. And, I said "some". You have to know by now( I know you know this) that so much of what appears via google is garbage

I started this thread with a lot of hope that folks would watch these. That's was all.
If you don't want to Google New Sweden, that's certainly your prerogative. If you Google, you are using a search engine. I put minimal credence in Wikipedia, but googling is a verb. Google New Sweden & you'll get a website that names the Swedes & Finns who came & where they settled in the tri-state area. What you are talking about predates New Sweden. Both can be correct at the same time.

I didn't say that what you said is wrong, but what I've seen backs up what Pine & Vine was taught. There's also a reason for the old Swedish church. There were Swedes in the area, before the English. There were also some Dutch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top